Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Michael and I left at noon today. He wanted to spend New Years at home. We've been outside watching fireworks.

I'll post some pictures I took as soon as someone starts a trip report thread.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    After Baby Momma got home last night I was able to turn the posse over to her. They are still coughing a bit so they couldn't do any camping.
    The weather forecast was getting me aroused,,,,LOW 30s.

So I started hanging my Hammock lastnight,The cold front was supposed to blow through just before midnight, so I hung a Hennessy, cause it has the side tie outs for the expected wind.

BUT, I was having second thoughts, having to carry that HEAVY HEAVY, EXTREME sleeping bag from the gear trailer. Cuz thay are not practical for Back Packing and all
    So I did some modification to the plan.

I was able to reduce the weight, I cut the number of pairs of socks down to 1 pair, Cut the fleece jacket from the set up, cut the insulated bib coveralls out. and probably reduced the over all weight by a bunch of GRAMS.

Ahhh, this made that trip from the gear trailer over the the hammock rack much more easier while packing that heavy bulky EXTREME sleeping bag.
    After a few minutes I was set, My Hennessy Expedition, the Hennessy Camo Hex tarp, the Extreme sleeping bag,
    1 pair of socks, standard issue east Texas blue jeans, a F of L t-shirt, standard issue east Texas blue jean shirt, and my fleece blanket from Walmart. The set up was complete.

Around 10:30pm, the wind started to blow and the rain came through. I was getting excited now, the temp was dropping and the wind was kicking.

By this morning it dropped to 30 degrees. Awsome...

The entire night I was warm and comfortable with just the hamock, tarp, sleeping bag and the fleece blanket folded up and under my lower back and butt.

For a "Car Camping" scenario, I am impressed.

There are alot of folks on here that are not Hikers and Back packers, but when they ask for cold weather information they often get directed to,,, oh you need to get a quilt , or "that set weighs to much,,, I can fit all my stuff in a pill box and carry 3 days of water in a thimble, and don't forget about the pads.....

My point is, not everybody on here is a Hiker. not everybody carries their stiuff in a Back Pack, some folks just like to camp, or "sleep out"

The lurkers and new folks tend to get intimidated, when they feel their stuff is inferior and won't work.

A fellar can be comfortable in a hammock, with basic gear and not break the bank.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ..... My point is, not everybody on here is a Hiker. not everybody carries their stuff in a Back Pack, some folks just like to camp, or "sleep out"
    ... and that's perfectly OK

..... The lurkers and new folks tend to get intimidated, when they feel their stuff is inferior and won't work.
    Not sure why they should ... lots of discussions about all levels of camping from car to backpacking to hard core UL guys (not me in gear or gut ).

I think with enough time here you'll find all these gals and guys quite helpful and far from elitist. That said everyone has their favorite ways to do things and can be opinionated of them at times.

WHY we even associate with ... gasp ... GROUND DWELLERS!

Sounds like a great trip you had ... nice toasty and warm! Thanks for sharing it!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

My point is, not everybody on here is a Hiker. not everybody carries their stiuff in a Back Pack, some folks just like to camp, or "sleep out"

The lurkers and new folks tend to get intimidated, when they feel their stuff is inferior and won't work.

A fellar can be comfortable in a hammock, with basic gear and not break the bank.
    You are absolutely right. The point is to get outside and have fun and sleep comfortably. There are many ways to do that. Also, I think many of the creative ideas for great gear come from folks who see a better way for themselves and just do it. Thanks for the reminder. Congrats on your cold-weather hang. I've got some cold weather coming (teens) and so I'm going to get out in the yard tomorrow night doing some tweaking and testing too. Lots of fun!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Good stuff, Randy.

I'm curious...what does the bottom of that bag have going on that allows you to get away with no pad or UQ? Is it so thick, that even when compressed, there's still sufficient insulation?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    ... lots of discussions about all levels of camping from car to backpacking to hard core UL guys (not me in gear or gut ).

I think with enough time here you'll find all these gals and guys quite helpful and far from elitist. That said everyone has their favorite ways to do things and can be opinionated of them at times.
    I think Randy's point is that backpackers make up the majority here, and they quite logically are concerned with weight. Ergo, most discussions at least touch on the weight component.

That's okay with me. I've camped out of boats/trucks/ATVs all my life...I've got my kit together, know what I'm doing, and could write the book.

That said, I've learned a TON here. I'm losing weight and bulk...just because I'm able to haul half of what I own into the back country doesn't mean that I should, or that it's all necessary for a good experience. Everything in it's place.

BTW, I've seen Randy's trailer, and it is awesome. He's got it all in one sock, ready to roll on a moment's notice, and really seems to squeeze all the juice out of an outdoor life.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Good stuff, Randy.

I'm curious...what does the bottom of that bag have going on that allows you to get away with no pad or UQ? Is it so thick, that even when compressed, there's still sufficient insulation?
    I have no idea what is on the inside, but they, ( the intermeadiate and the extreme) are thick.
    I have 2 of the 32 degree 1 pound bags, a bigger 15 degree bag and a Browning high end bag that I thought was a Cadilac. And none of those work like these do.

I didn't want to order these off the web, because I wanted to see what I was getting, fortunately we have a few Army Surplus stores around here.

I really really like not having to have all that extra rigging ( UQ, TQ, TC super shelter)and stuff. and NOT having to mess with any PAD.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

There are alot of folks on here that are not Hikers and Back packers, but when they ask for cold weather information they often get directed to,,, oh you need to get a quilt , or "that set weighs to much,,, I can fit all my stuff in a pill box and carry 3 days of water in a thimble, and don't forget about the pads.....

These are very good points!!!
    I guess I tend to read a lot of the posts on here and I zero in on the ones that interest me. Gotta say though... remember those posts about all the math involved...yep I got completely lost in that one and totally intimidated, my brain was feeling pretty inferior by that point!!! My hats off to you guys that were able to get through it And as for a new lurker or member here that happened onto that post...I just hope you stuck around because after all the math was done we got back to talking about hammocks the way most of us can understand Prices of all our gear can also be a stopping point for many newcomers and I for one, was very happy to notice the DIY postings here and read up on how to make a lot of my gear. Now this would have lead to me saving a lot of money except that once I made one thing, I had to make several more..... One more point for new-be's.... don't worry about what ever gear you've got now... just keep reading on here, because somewhere there's a post about someone that has something like you've got and they've tried it with their hammock. I've found that hammock people are very creative people, probably why we noticed the hammock in the first place and thought to try it while camping. And to keep trying it even when the temps were dropping past the freezing point, it was raining cats & dogs and our old tarp from wallmart was leaking.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ...BTW, I've seen Randy's trailer, and it is awesome. He's got it all in one sock, ready to roll on a moment's notice, and really seems to squeeze all the juice out of an outdoor life.
    Dang I always wanted a set up like that. How about some pictures Randy?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Not to change the subject, but here are some pics of my gear trailer.
    It sleeps 2 people, 110 v or 12 v , AC and propane heat.
    I keep all my kayaking and canoeing gear and camping gear already loaded. If we head off to campground and camp I am set, if we paddle off for an overnighter on the river I am set.

Campground camping

or river camping

And one of my Posse members sleeping ( jus had to throw this one in there)

The Randy Zone
    Last edited by Randy; 01-01-2010 at 10:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast