Gathered end 11 ft tafetta
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie

First two experiences with my tablecloth significantly different

On Friday I whipped my 60x126 tablecloth, made my whoopies, and headed out to the woods with them and my tree straps. I was very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I felt in this simple hammock. I could leave it open like in the picture, or pull the flaps over me to block out the sun. It felt great - sun out of my eyes, and a cool breeze starting to blow over me. :-)

1203161549-00.jpg1203161553-01.jpg

Today I was given a hammock stand, and set up the hammock. It was more difficult to get it adjusted. What struck me the most was that the hammock didn't have that openess... it tended to wrap around me and seemed less 'roomy'.

1205161646-00.jpg

When I first whipped the ends, I folded each end differently. On end was zig zag folded like an accordian, and on the other end I tried it in halves, fourths, etc. Before I tried the hammock stand I had changed both ends to have the zig zag fold.

Anyway ... I wonder if the type of fold on the end makes much difference ... or if my experience is due to the way it hangs in a hammock stand.

Randy

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    *Disclaimer* I have zero experience with whipped ends or stands. I would think it has more to do with your setup and sag. It seems like you may have a bit less sag in the stand. I think stands are generally set up for shorter or tight pitch hammocks and aren't really long enough, nor really tall enough, though they can be worked out. I would like to think that all things being equal, trees vs stand shouldn't matter... unless, of course you can't get your suspension system where it should be with enough sag and lead. I do find super short minimum length spans seem to have a bit different feel than when I have my rigging about halfway out. Doesn't seem to be the same as you're experiencing though. Just more or less stretch and flex. Longer span has more give, shorter feels stiffer.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That hang in the hammock stand looks extremely uncomfortable! I have several tablecloth hammocks, and always use sewn channels (since whipped ends seem like a black art to me). I have never used a tablecloth hammock without a hammock ridgeline either.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    FWIW I hang nearly exclusively in TCF hammocks (I do use my ENO for quick naps), and don't use a ridge line.

That's an interesting contrast in hangs. I never have a problem getting a good lay in my TCFH, but I have also never tried a stand. There must be something going on there that the pictures aren't conveying.

keep fiddling, you'll get it worked out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I'll keep fiddling... trying the stand was only my second hang. My grown son thought it was just fine - he fell asleep in it a few minutes into trying it :-). I'm looking forward to hanging it from some trees again and taking a nap myself!

Images
    When testing a hammock it is wise to make only one change at a time. That way, if the hang is improved (or made worse) you will know why. By changing the whipping and the type of hang(trees vs. stand) it's harder to determine what is going wrong.

When I was researching that style of stand, I could not fine one suitable for gathered end hammocks. They simply aren't tall enough to get enough sag.

In fact, in your first picture, it looks like your hammock could use a wee bit more sag. You might find that a bit more comfortable.

Best of luck!

- double post. Sorry!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie
    in your first picture, it looks like your hammock could use a wee bit more sag
    Thanks for the reply - I was just making calculations for a ridge line. I started off with a 126" long tablecloth, so assuming 6" for whipping on each end, my usable hammock length should be 114". Using the 83% rule, my ridgeline would be 95".

I have a leftover piece of amsteel that's 126" long, and trying to figure out if I can make a small whoopee from it to allow for perhaps 6" adjustment in either direction from the 95" calculated ridgeline... or perhaps there's a better way then a whoopee type of ridgeline that I can make from 126" of material?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Thanks for the reply - I was just making calculations for a ridge line. I started off with a 126" long tablecloth, so assuming 6" for whipping on each end, my usable hammock length should be 114". Using the 83% rule, my ridgeline would be 95".

I have a leftover piece of amsteel that's 126" long, and trying to figure out if I can make a small whoopee from it to allow for perhaps 6" adjustment in either direction from the 95" calculated ridgeline... or perhaps there's a better way then a whoopee type of ridgeline that I can make from 126" of material?

Randy
    I don't remember the exact length of the required bury for a whoopie (I think it varies based on diameter), but I would there's enough material there to do it, and it the whoopie slips, it's not a huge deal. There shouldn't be a huge amount of tension on the ridgeline, anyway, so you might be able to get by with a shorter bury because it's not load bearing.