Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I am sure a tarp maker can chime in better than I can, but I think there are a couple of reasons for a split ring instead of a d-ring. I think they provide an intentional point of failure in the system that will allow the ring to bend or break, rather than have a giant gust of wind wind shred your tarp. My guess is that the use of 2 rings instead of one might be a way to offer backup in case one of the rings is bad or gets stressed more than the other? It also might spread the force out through twice the attachment space. Also, a split ring is a lot easier to replace than a d ring. If a d ring shatters for some reason, you would have to re-sew the whole thing. I just got my new Winter Dream. It is the first tarp I have had with split rings, and it seems like a good system to me.
    Another point - i was under the impression that the cont rl ran thru one ring and the other was for the line from the tarp to the prussicks used for centering, if that makes sense to anyone, not sure how else to explain it other than the long line that goes from tree to tree goes thru one set of rings and the other down to the tarp.
    Maybe Paul can clarify?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, I don't get the "fuse" argument. These tarps are pretty tough, and stakes are typically the first thing to give. If you're out in that sort of wind, for whatever reason that might be, I probably don't want anything on the tarp that has any give - the taut'r the bett'r.

I do get the installation argument. I wonder if the installation on the tarp fly might cause some degradation of the strength of the ring because you have to separate it (pull it apart) more to get it on the fly, vs. the loop. Wondering if that's what happened here.

My guess is that doubling the rings offers a lot more strength, which only makes me thing the "fuse" argument doesn't really apply. And you probably wouldn't go for trying to install both rings on a fly or a tie out loop, but I guess you could. I did hear something about them being used as attachment points for doors, which I think makes more sense, or maybe as Zilla was suggesting, the CRL. Otherwise, if this is just easier installation for the vendor, not sure how I feel about that? If for some reason a D ring broke, then I'd still want to larks head or clip directly to the tarp loop.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12