Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH

Winter socks, underquilt protectors, and winter covers

I'm looking for some feedback on ways to push my gear a little further in the winter without adding too much weight or bulk. I like a simpler setup, too, so adding too much complexity or fiddle factor is not something I'm looking for. Other than buying lower temperature rated quilts, it looks like the three best ways to add some warmth are hammock socks, underquilt protectors, and hammock winter covers (sometimes called top covers or over covers).

I've read reviews of people claiming that the winter hammock socks can add as much as 15°F. I've also seen people say that in windy conditions it may add only a few degrees. There also seem to be reports of condensation issues if they are not vented properly. For what it's worth, you also lose some visibility to your surroundings. Considering the bulk and it's weight (10 oz for Dutch's winter sock), I worry the added warmth isn't worth the downsides.

Underquilt protectors (UQP) seem to get a lot of positive feedback, and weighing around 5.4oz (2QZQ's UQP), they seem to be a more attractive option. I've read some reviews of people claiming it can add around 10°F to your underquilt. However, I read someone report that if the wind is blowing strong enough it can blow between the UQP and UQ and still cause heat loss. That may be an issue the hammock sock wouldn't have.

As for winter covers, I've read they can add around 5°F to your topquilts warmth. Your back could still be cold, though, with enough wind robbing heat from your underquilt. There also seem to be some complaints about condensation issues, although venting adjustability with a winter cover seems to be easier than a hammock sock. I've read they weigh around 5 oz. This makes it interesting because you could use a winter cover and UQP in combination and it would weigh around the same as a winter sock, with the added benefit of a modular setup.

Does anyone have some experience they can share? Have you used a winter sock, UQP, or a winter cover? What is your setup for winter hanging? There are other options I did not mention, like stacking TQs/UQs or combining pad use with an UQ. Anyone like these methods instead?
    Last edited by poorboystooge; 12-08-2016 at 20:54.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    In winter I use a wookie zero UQ, Mamba TQ, UQP, and BBO. The underquilt protector blocks wind beneath. The Bear Burrito Oven helps tray body heat above, and a Mambajama with doors does the rest. Needs some air for ventilation / condensation. Seems like the lightest way to save body heat.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    In winter I use a wookie zero UQ, Mamba TQ, UQP, and BBO. The underquilt protector blocks wind beneath. The Bear Burrito Oven helps tray body heat above, and a Mambajama with doors does the rest. Needs some air for ventilation / condensation. Seems like the lightest way to save body heat.
    I hadn't heard of the BBO, thanks for sharing. It essentially seems like a winter cover (top cover/over cover). What temperatures would you feel comfortable in getting to with that setup?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally prefer proper insulation and a 4-season tarp over winter socks, underquilt protectors, and winter covers. However, when it's really cold (10* F or lower), a sock or winter cover helps in keeping my face from freezing. I just don't think I'd use any of the above in place of proper insulation, when it is clearly not insulation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Winter socks, underquilt protectors, and winter covers

While everything you mention does help don't also forget about good site selection. Using the environment to your advantage. Don't go low because cold sinks and don't go to high (i.e. On top of a small hill) because wind can come up underneath. Using natural barriers to block or mitigate wind as much as possible. Brush or a knoll to block the wind. As well as tarp direction. Going broad side to wind as opposed to linear, where the wind can come through head or food end. All these things can also help with sleeping warm.

As to what you mentioned for gear I have used all of them in one form or another. UQP is cheap extra help. I always use a breathable uqp just to help block the wind. As to the others I have mixed reviews to them. I used a spindrift down to -9* and had a lot of condensation form especially on the zipper. So when opening or closing the door it snowed quite a bit. It did help with wind mitigation though. I also used the top cover to the xox down to -14*. It was mostly open but still had a lot of condensation issues. Again helped with a small amount of heat retention and wind mitigation.

Then last year I hit -20* with a basic net less gathered end hammock with two underquilts and two topquilts and slept just fine. All the above temps were used with a superfly with all doors closed.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 12-08-2016 at 22:59.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Invest in more quilts and say a winter tarp
    The only time I can see a sock as being useful is in snow/blowing snow to keep spindrift off and in cold weather cotton canvas is only choice.
    Only other time I may use something, ie a blanket over the ridge line, is to keep heavy dew off my quilts....but hanging in heavy tree cover essentially does the same thing. So choosing proper hang spots as said is important.

I would never depend on socks and stuff as a warming insulative improvement
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I have and use the Dutch winter sock almost every time I go out. I do most of my camping on the north west coast so lots of fog and wind. It adds at least 10 degrees. It is how ever, like being in a small tent but really helps keep off the wind and light precipitation. If you get the vent in the right place there is no condensation, even with the vent almost closed I've never had enough to be an issue. With that said I've never had it below 28deg. How low are you trying to go?
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images
    I haven't hung in temps below 15-20 degrees yet so the other responses may be more to your liking. But I did stay warm with my UQP, WB O degree Lynx, Exped insulated mat, 20 degree bag, and SL Winterhaven tarp.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you have not purcha$ed any or all these--UQP, Sox, Overcover--yet--or if weight and volume caused you to leave them at home--you can lower your tarp down to your hammock ridgeline and tie tarp together under hammock. You will be all wrapped up--encapsulated. Condensation can happen and good luck with the 300am whizz break. Sometimes breaking wind takes precedence over all!
    Be careful out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Sometimes breaking wind takes precedence over all!
    I heartily agree but not my wife! She hates it when I break wind!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast