WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Outdoor Vitals

Has anyone heard of Outdoor Vitals? The advertise on YouTube, and popped up during some hammock videos I was watching. Like all sales sites, they look like their products are good deals and have the gimmick of cutting out the middle man. My question is, are they just low quality junk, or actual good products? I have bought Hammock Gear, War Bonnet, Dream Hammock and lots of other name brand stuff. But I have friends that want to start and don't want to spend a ton to get started. This guy sells down bags, 800 fill and rated to 30 degrees for $129.98, that convert to under quilts.

Seems to good to be true, and they always say that means it IS too good to be true. Opinions?
    Last edited by Miquel Westano; 12-09-2016 at 13:57.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    I was wondering about them too. Don't know anyone with OV gear...but they say on the ad that everything they sell is guaranteed for life. Make your friends buy it, then we'll know!
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I can only speak for the Roost synthetic hybrid-bag/UQ. The quality is okay. There is almost always a direct proportion between cost and quality. It worked. It kept someone warmish as advertised.

I wouldn't consider them junk. I'd trust things a bit more if they actually stated how much down they were filled with or how much loft it actually has. I'm pretty sure they're made in China although the site speaks nothing about it and the down may not be responsibly collected. That's not important to everyone though.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    I can only speak for the Roost synthetic hybrid-bag/UQ. The quality is okay. There is almost always a direct proportion between cost and quality. It worked. It kept someone warmish as advertised.

I wouldn't consider them junk. I'd trust things a bit more if they actually stated how much down they were filled with or how much loft it actually has. I'm pretty sure they're made in China although the site speaks nothing about it and the down may not be responsibly collected. That's not important to everyone though.
    Of course! Makes sense. I'd rather save my pennies and get something I trust from SOMEONE I trust.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    I've been subscribed to their youtube channel for a while but I don't have any of their stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA0...RRw_RNlE6-Nnjg

Here's a review on one of their bags. He says up front that Outdoor Vitals is a sponsor of his channel so TIFWIW. I've watched about all this guy's videos because he does a lot of knife reviews & fire stuff, both of which I might be addicted to! He seems to be pretty honest in his reviews but I don't know the guy so you'll have to be your own judge-
    https://youtu.be/osG_uVkYZ0Q

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I saw that ad today - sounded like a gimmick to me.

But I'll keep an open mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Looking at their UQ/sleeping bag....it looks like sew thru construction so it would let the cold air thru. Don't see how they can claim the ratings they do.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i just got their 30* down to try. Seems to be ok quality to me but I am still a rookie so take that with a grain of salt the baffles are sewn through not boxed so possibly and issue with some cold spots. I am hoping to at least hang it in the backyard this weekend and see how it does. I will post some picks if I do.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hung the outdoor vitals underquilt this weekend.
    Here is my take away from it. This is my first review so if i miss anything please ask. I do not have a scale yet to give a weight. Sorry.

Out of the box it comes with 4 pieces of shock cord and 4 cord locks for the corners, the quilt is packed in a nice stuff sack of the same outer material and could be compressed down to about the size of a nalgene.

I opted to go with sargevinings, suspension idea from you tube as it seemed to give more adjustability and structure to the sides. See video below

https://youtu.be/xVcFFVFruMs

Pros: It can be converted to a sleeping bag if you have to go to ground.
    Cons: The cinch system for the ends is not shock cord so the is no stretch to help seal off the ends. Each time I moved it would open up and I had to keep readjusting it to keep a seal.
    Cost. For about the same price you can get a Loco Libre synthetic, choose your color (this only comes in the blue), and have a better quality UQ.

I did not get a full night in it due to weather calling for tornadic activity in my area and I am not big on flying.

Just my thoughts on it. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Mnt. Wilderness
    Insulation
    Teton Altos pad
    Suspension
    Buckles
    My brother and I recently got the Summit 0 from them, on their holiday sale. I think it ended up being 140usd.

My first down bag, but the construction feels pretty solid. I have yet to actually test it, but from the research I did, it seemed pretty useful. And lifetime warranty

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast