WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 40+2/Inc
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Strp

Question R values?

Is there any info on r values for underquilts? Soon I hope to receive my new incubator 40 with 2 ounces of overstuff, and I've read a lot of reviews about people getting down to various degree levels below 40 degrees, but the scientist in me needs more data! lol Any input would be appreciated!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyBHangin View Post
    Is there any info on r values for underquilts? Soon I hope to receive my new incubator 40 with 2 ounces of overstuff, and I've read a lot of reviews about people getting down to various degree levels below 40 degrees, but the scientist in me needs more data! lol Any input would be appreciated!
    Excellent question. I will be curious to see where this discussion goes. Two nights ago, I used my HammockGear 30° under quilt in 22° weather with no issues. I am typically not a warm sleeper, so I was pleasantly surprised.
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Then take the scientist in you out to hang in various temps and collect said data =)

Seriously, it's all very individual, because people sleep differently. Case in point- my wife and I both have very similar quilt sets. She was cold in hers at 40 and I was comfy in mine down to 26. I know there are a lot of variables to account for, but it is a fact that i sleep warmer than her- even in bed she has a stack of quilts while I just use a sheet.

All that said I know nothing about r-values, basically. Sorry to be of so little help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Then take the scientist in you out to hang in various temps and collect said data =)

Seriously, it's all very individual, because people sleep differently. Case in point- my wife and I both have very similar quilt sets. She was cold in hers at 40 and I was comfy in mine down to 26. I know there are a lot of variables to account for, but it is a fact that i sleep warmer than her- even in bed she has a stack of quilts while I just use a sheet.

All that said I know nothing about r-values, basically. Sorry to be of so little help.
    Biologically, women typically have cooler cores, which require more insulation to keep the core body warm. When shopping for sleeping bags,a 40° men's and a 40° women's sleeping bag does not weigh the same. The women sleeping bag will always have more insulation in order to compensate and the insulation is distributed differently.
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 40+2/Inc
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Strp
    Yes Johnspenn! I'll definitely be testing in the experiment phase, but right now I need to make my hypothesis and predictions! lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Yes Johnspenn! I'll definitely be testing in the experiment phase, but right now I need to make my hypothesis and predictions! lol
    I propose and postulate that a bad night on the trail beats a good day at work anytime!
    StoryTellerTN

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Storytellertn View Post
    I propose and postulate that a bad night on the trail beats a good day at work anytime!
    Aw come on man, that's as well documented as the first and second laws of thermodynamics!

Images
    Quilts should be on clo units. R values are for homes and have no use with quilts.
    naked body: 0 ;
    summer clothing: 0.6 clo ;
    ski outfit: 2 clo ;
    light polar equipment: 3 clo ;
    heavy polar equipment: 4 clo ;
    polar down duvet: 8 clo.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    CLO is the way to go! See, for example, http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/studen...comnotes1.html. (And, that's just the first lecture. )

But, the only data that matters is going to be what you collect - individuals vary too much. My 40°+2 has kept me warm below 40°F, but i don't make a habit of it.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

• + New Posts