ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

JrB Greylock 3 vs. AHE Jarbidge River 3

From what I can see, the comparison is that the JrB is down and nearly three times the price, where the AHE is synthetic and not quite a third of the price. Is the AHE really only about 4oz heavier than the JrB? (From what I see, the Greylock is 17oz and the Jarbidge is a shade over 20.) What about compressibility? Is the Jarbidge River worth the money, or should I just hang on and wait until I can have the Greylock?

I mostly do two or three nights at a time. I'm trying to get my winter base weight below 20# with a top/bottom quilt combo that will replace my heavy sleeping bag and bulky blue ccf pad combo. Whatever uq I go with, I'm definitely saving up for a down top quilt, but that's another discussion for another day.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Barefoot Friar; 12-16-2016 at 08:58.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    The biggest difference between the two is weight and compressibility. That's always the difference between a synthetic and down. The down will be more compressible than a synthetic of comparable insulation. Next is the weight. If you look at it from straight ounces to ounces, then, yes, it is only 3 or 4 ounces. Look at it as a percentage for a second though. The Jarbridge is 17% heavier. It's all a matter of the compromises you are willing to make. If you only plan to use it a few times a year, down may not be worth the extra expenditure; however, if you foresee yourself using it more and more in the future, it may be worth the extra investment now for something you may wish you had gotten later.

Anything that gets you in the woods is worth the money. As far as which is the better value, you'll get a thousand different answers. Both are great quilts from great vendors. You can't go wrong with either quilt. It's a matter of what is the best course of action for you.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

One of the things I personally like about down is because it is so "fluid/pliable" as it surrounds you. It seems to help eliminate air gaps in that way.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    The 3S Jarbidge is definitely worth the money, I love mine. It's not winter kit for me but I don't live in Alabama. I haven't used the Greylock so I can't help you compare the two but you won't waste your money on the Jarbidge.

I am learning to use and love my new Jarbidge and think it's a heck of a value. Slept out last night. Got down to 29F and I was toasty with an old sleeping bag as TQ. My Jarbidge weighs 20 ounces with its suspension. In relatively humid Georgia I've chosen to use synthetic for the UQ. Long term I plan on down for a TQ but it's not in the budget yet. That probably doesn't answer the question but may provide a data point to consider.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    The biggest difference between the two is weight and compressibility. That's always the difference between a synthetic and down. The down will be more compressible than a synthetic of comparable insulation.
    I think compressibility is my biggest question, though it may not necessarily be the biggest factor. I have a 70L pack, so I will have room, but how big is this thing in the stuff sack? Similar to a synthetic sleeping bag, right? I think I can do that, though of course the smaller the better.

I'm leaning toward getting it IF it will pack down about as much as a synthetic bag, since I can have it in time for my 5-day trip at the end of January. I figure worst case I'll sell it, or let my wife use it for car camping. But if it's going to be huge in my pack, I'm going to pass.

So my specific question here is: Anyone know what the compressed volume is or dimensions are?

With a 70 liter pack you should be fine. I regularly carried my jarbridge in my Flash 62 for multiple day trips. That being said, the jarbridge was my 1st underquilt ( new river was #2 ). I used them for a couple years then sold them to buy down. JRB greylock 3 and 4. Reason: compressibility and weight. It all depends on how much use you think you'll get out of your gear and that will help in your decision. The AHE quilts are well made, warm and you can't go wrong with them.
    Last edited by michigandave; 12-16-2016 at 09:50.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Friar View Post
    I think compressibility is my biggest question, though it may not necessarily be the biggest factor. I have a 70L pack, so I will have room, but how big is this thing in the stuff sack? Similar to a synthetic sleeping bag, right? ...

So my specific question here is: Anyone know what the compressed volume is or dimensions are?
    My 3S Jarbidge is much smaller than my 40 synthetic mummy bag, well less than half the volume by my guesstimate. I haven't had it in its stuff sack in a while but looking through memory's eye I'll say 7" diameter and 10" long. My memory's not what it used to be. It is a lot smaller than any pad.

Also my mummy bag is super tight in the stuff sack, the 3S Jarbidge can compress a bit more in its sack.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Down quilts have most of their benefits when not being used.

Meaning they pack smaller, are lighter, and retain loft.

Actually in use, a comparable down and synthetic UQ won't have much difference. A 20 degree synthetic quilt will keep you as warm as a 20 degree down quilt.

The benefits of down come into play when you have to carry, pack, and store your quilts.

I have both a JRB MW3, and an AHE New River. Both are excellent pieces of gear. They were also both gifts, which makes them even more excellent!

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Friar View Post
    I think compressibility is my biggest question, though it may not necessarily be the biggest factor. I have a 70L pack, so I will have room, but how big is this thing in the stuff sack? Similar to a synthetic sleeping bag, right? I think I can do that, though of course the smaller the better.

I'm leaning toward getting it IF it will pack down about as much as a synthetic bag, since I can have it in time for my 5-day trip at the end of January. I figure worst case I'll sell it, or let my wife use it for car camping. But if it's going to be huge in my pack, I'm going to pass.

Although a jarbidge will not compress down as much as a greylock 3, it still compresses just fine. This video that Paul did will give you a good idea of how well it will compress.

Care and Cleaning of AHE Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast