Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    The parking lot will accomodate at least 15 cars. The sawyer road section will be broken in by snowmobiles, hikers and dog sleds. After you pass a bridge with a parking lot on the left it is another mile or so. The trail tothe pond should be wellmarked
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

The time consuming first 4 miles on the road doesn't have much elevation, so should be cake. Then use the snowshoes for the trail if its not packed down. I'm not very experienced with xc skiing but this is a great place to try. Worse case you strap them to the pulk. If you're not using one you can strap them on mine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    the only caveat I would point out is that skiing with a pulk is more difficult than just skiing and therefore could make the 4 miles more of a hassle for someone less experienced. Perhaps just walking/snowshoeing will keep things simple and reduce weight and complications.
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc 1.1 double
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    down sleeping bag
    when i went a couple days ago, i just microspiked it 4 miles up the sawyer river road. then the sawyer pond trail bangs a left 1.5 miles to the pond and shelter and campsites. i still wore microspikes but had my snowshoes in the sled in case. i just used a kids plastic sled about 5 feet long and put 2 packs and 2 pairs of snowshoes in it and usually i put bungee cords over the top so the stuff doesnt slide out sideways in case of a rough ride on the trail. one thing i learned years ago about towing a sled: just pack your pack like usual and put it in the sled. ive seen people show up and tell me it took them hours to repack eveything in boxes and put it all in the sled to fit just right. when they saw my regular backpack in there bungee corded down they all said the same thing 'why didnt i think of that'. also, if the trail has ups and downs and twists and turns causing the sled to keep tipping over, you can put your pack on and carry it the regular way the rest of the way. just stick your sled straight up next to the trail(no street gangs to steal it out there) or tow it behind you with nothing in it and it can bounce and bang all it wants in rough spots but it will still follow you.

note to somniferous: livermore trail doesnt fit into this equation. that trail is in waterville valley. you park at base of sawyer river road. go up the road 4 miles(very snowmobiled down usually), then the sawyer pond trail(sign) goes about 50 feet straight and bangs a left over a bridge and continues 1.5 to the pond

addendum to post: if people prefer packing their sled other ways, by all means do it. my idea is just a suggestion
    Last edited by hikerfast; 02-07-2017 at 08:54.

[QUOTE=tollermama;1740395]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    What is the trail map for this trip and where is the best place to get it.

Hey Nighthauk,

I use my White Mountains Trail Map waterproof version by Map Adventures. You can get it from the AMC online or www.mapadventures.com It has the trail distance right on the map. I also use the AMC White Mountain guide which has it's own maps that come with it and descriptions of the trail and access/parking etc. (you can copy the pages and bring with you if you want). Still debating whether I want to or can go on this trip. Not sure I can get Friday off work. Also my pulk is super old and needs work. I could ski in with a pack though. It has been done before. If you need to borrow anything you are welcome to do so.
    Just to clarify for everyone. A pulk is not a necessity for this trip. Last time a separate hiker from our group showed up with just snowshoes and his pack. I'm bringing a pulk for the fun of it and since this is more of a Basecamp vs backpacking situation I'd like to bring extra stuff for warmth and comfort. I think last time was more of an extreme than we are likely to see again.
    It's definitely looking like the snowpack will be a lot less than last time, though we could still see some low Temps.

On the topic of comfort. I would recommend bringing a chair of some kind, if you have one. I know the guys that didn't have one last time(myself included) were looking at those who did with envy. Nights are long this time of year.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We are going there tomorrow to check out the conditions. Will update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    And Tim- we work Friday and a family bday party on Sunday at 12 so we are just going to day hike in and stay for the day. I couldn't get more days off and work 13 hour shifts so no going after work.

Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    wbbb xlc 1.1 double
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    down sleeping bag
    20170204_162943 - Copy.jpg couple days ago

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    And Tim- we work Friday and a family bday party on Sunday at 12 so we are just going to day hike in and stay for the day. I couldn't get more days off and work 13 hour shifts so no going after work.

No problem. I'm sorry you guys will not be able to stay the whole weekend. Start putting in for the last weekend in April for NEHHA.

Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast