Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie

1 for all and all for 1?

Hi,

I am new to hanging. Have a WBBB XLC and am looking for suggestions on getting a 3/4 underquilt for backpacking. I live in So. Cal. and expect me temps to be from lowes of 50 - 32 for where I will camping this winter and spring. I am 6'4" and weigh 210.

I am wondering if I can get away with a Warbonnet Yeti (winter or 3 season) for all my year round needs? In summer (watching Shug's video) I can move out from under and then swing under if it get cool.

I have several pads from my ground camping and my WBBB is double layer so I can slip a pad in if needed and or small pad for feet/legs.

1) Should I get the WB Yeti Winter and just have the extra if needed, and push out in summer like i said above. Or is that over-kill for my needs?

2) What suggestions other UQ / Sizes / combos do others recommend based on my needs above?

T

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome aboard!
    I have a 3 season Yeti that I use from ~20F to about 60. It is very easy to pull it to one side as Shug has demonstrated to start your night in warm weather. You can easily pull it back under you later as needed. Pay attention to where Shug says the foot end suspension lines should be relative to your feet. When pulling the quilt back under you, you will probably have to lift your feet to allow the one suspension line to slide by. But . . . very important that the suspension line on foot side of your hammock is above your feet. His videos show this very clearly.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'm also new and have been researching on and off for the last 4 months..

20°F with 1 or 2 ounce overstuff seems to be the magic number for underquilts. I'd prefer the Warbonnet Wooki with 1 or 2 ounces of overstuff to prevent insulation gaps (but I know nothing about backpacking weight and bulk..) The Yeti would only need 1 ounce of overstuff.

I've heard that pads are very difficult to use on gathered end hammocks such as the Blackbird. Still possible.., but try it out before committing to an underquilt.

[EDIT]
    Wool base layer, clothing, scarf, jacket and hoodie/balaclava might stretch you down to 15-25°F comfortably -- provided tarp with doors are used.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 12-19-2016 at 08:55.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    If you wont ever see temperatures below 20 go 3 season. If you might need more in future go winter. I use a 0° year round, have never been to hot because of it...my matress has a higher r-value.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    If you wont ever see temperatures below 20 go 3 season. If you might need more in future go winter. I use a 0° year round, have never been to hot because of it...my matress has a higher r-value.
    That's a really good point. I never considered how much insulation the everyday mattress has. I have a 0 degree Wookie. It can be easily vented on warm nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post

I burned to (nearly) death napping in my hammock with a 0 incubator hung on it, in my office (70deg). I would not have suffered the same outcome laying in bed?

If your worst case lows are 25-30 degrees, go 3 season! No sense in packing more fluff than you need.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    I burned to (nearly) death napping in my hammock with a 0 incubator hung on it, in my office (70deg). I would not have suffered the same outcome laying in bed?

If your worst case lows are 25-30 degrees, go 3 season! No sense in packing more fluff than you need.
    Agree. 3 season - Adjust to allow air in warmer weather.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    So what about my height? I am 6'4" And I am reading that the yeti is a bit small already.

I am also concerned about time to get it. I am looking for an underquilt that I can get within a few weeks. Waiting a month or longer keeps me indoors.. Anyone carry them in stock?

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'm 6'4" and I have a relatively long torso. My Yetis go from my shoulders to just past my butt

• + New Posts