Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by subcanis View Post
    Thanks John! Great article, terrific advice, and you are absolutely right on all counts. I couldn't agree more!

Oh, one more thing...ain't gonna happen.

She's fabulous and a real trooper. If I told her it was important to me, I know she would be right by my side, but I also know she'd be quietly miserable. The situation definitely limits how often I sleep under the stars, but that's the balance that makes it all work, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    Good information there, and even if I followed it to a t, I'm pretty sure the chances of me getting my wife out there are about as good as the Bills making the playoffs this year. Her idea of roughing it is if I was able to afford one of those million dollar rv's you see on the travel channel.

I do of course realize that for some, getting their wife to enjoy camping outdoors will be difficult if not impossible. But even if you just get her out for some nice day hikes to beautiful waterfalls and vistas, that's a worthy cause IMO. And, if you do that enough, there's always that minuscule chance... =)

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Excellent advice John. I hope this works for many but some of us may not want our wives to go. It's kinda of good to get away from time to time. Sorta like a man cave in the woods There are times when I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner but I always seem to have more fun with the guys and enjoy time at home with the wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    LOL I wasn't going to say anything, but since you got the ball rolling I'll give it a big old +1 (If you're reading this...I still love you hun!!)
    I guess some guys get out in the woods to get away from their home-life/wives. I'm sure that's fine as long as both you and your wife are okay with that arrangement.

I'm not against taking solo trips or trips with friends, but I do also really enjoy having Cathy by my side out there.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tstark View Post
    Thanks, John. Those rules apply to all relationships; wife, kids, and otherwise. My wife enjoys camping, and light hiking, although right now she's not so into it because we have a one year old and a three year old, and they are a lot of work even with the amenities at home.

She always prefers car camping over wilderness camping, though, and she's not fond of sleeping in the hammock. Our compromise is if I can get the tent and double-high queen size inflatable mattress to the campsite, I can sleep in my hammock while she and the kids take the mattress. I have happily agreed to hiking in four full trips of gear nearly a quarter mile, to get to a great spot and sleep in my hammock, including a fully inflated queen size mattress, through the woods, atop my head. Other campers thought I was crazy, I'm sure.

She also knows I need to be far in the woods, too. She allows me that, and I make sure that I am spending enough quality time with the family.

I've found that great views and beautiful landscape is the experience that keeps her agreeing to go out with me.
    Wow, I don't envy you carrying that tent and mattress through the woods, but I understand why you do it. Having little ones does present a different challenge. Our grandson is currently 8 months old, and we're hoping to start to take him out on day trips when it warms up next spring.

One of my regrets is that I didn't spend enough time getting my own children out in the wilds, showing them the beauty of creation. I'm hoping to avoid having that regret with my grandson (and any other grandchildren that come along). I always enjoy hearing about men getting their families out in the woods and spending time with them. Good on you for sacrificing so much to be able to do that with your family!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I do of course realize that for some, getting their wife to enjoy camping outdoors will be difficult if not impossible. But even if you just get her out for some nice day hikes to beautiful waterfalls and vistas, that's a worthy cause IMO. And, if you do that enough, there's always that minuscule chance... =)
    The power of positive thinking! The secret to success is in the believing.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    The only way my wife will go camping is in a big tent with the big blow up mattress and bribery. Like I set it all up, do all the cooking and then top it off with lots of chocolate treats by the fire. Still have a really good time thou. Hard to complain about a better half of over 30 years. She followed me around in the Navy for 10 years, 7 of them in Iceland and puts up with my hammock camping addiction. Best thing to ever happen to me. Not the hammock camping addiction. although it is a close second. Merry Christmas to all.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The only way my wife will go camping is in a big tent with the big blow up mattress and bribery. Like I set it all up, do all the cooking and then top it off with lots of chocolate treats by the fire. Still have a really good time thou. Hard to complain about a better half of over 30 years. She followed me around in the Navy for 10 years, 7 of them in Iceland and puts up with my hammock camping addiction. Best thing to ever happen to me. Not the hammock camping addiction. although it is a close second. Merry Christmas to all.
    That's the right attitude to have! Merry Christmas!

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I'm not against taking solo trips or trips with friends, but I do also really enjoy having Cathy by my side out there.
    agreed, I do camp without her, but most of the time I wouldn't want to go with anyone but Laurie, to each their own...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Seriously though I do love my wife more than just about anything in this world short of Jesus but given the choice between my wife and a guy hiking partner in the woods I'll take the guy any time. Reason being this is typically the guys passion and while my wife puts up with my hiking passion it's not her passion. Eight out of ten times she would rather be shopping than hiking and I understand this. We have different passions and this is what makes it a great marriage.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I just tie some chocolate to the end of a stick and hold it out in front of her. If I use some of that good organic dark chocolate, I have a hard time keeping up. ;-)
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    This is very sweet. Love it. I think your recommendations are good lessons for life too.

I'm in the same boat, sort of. I can't get my hubby to camp in the woods. He says he spent too much time jungle camping for work and has had enough. I have promised that there will be many many fewer mosquitoes. It has not worked. I've tried just about everything I can think of...
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast