Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60
  1. #1
    johnspenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Posts
    3,202
    Images
    1

    Five Tips for Getting Your Wife out on the Trail

    An article for the men out there who would love for their wives to join them out on the trail but haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

    https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...-on-the-trail/

  2. #2
    curlymaple42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Limerick, ME
    Hammock
    WB1.1DLXLC
    Tarp
    COGS MesaVerdeNat
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles
    Posts
    1,780
    Great advice!! With our purchase of three hammocks for our little family, I am going to start the ladies out in the backyard. I am planning to clear some brush and make a nice spot for us to hang to get used to setting up the hammocks and site. Definitely not good to backpack in a couple miles to a remote site and then struggle setting everything up and getting irritated because everyone is frustrated! My first hang was in the yard and it was a great learning experience, and why I fell in love with hanging! The next time I went I went alone up a mtn and hung and it was great, but a touch lonely. I would rather have company I think most of the time.

    Thank you for your article!
    I spend more time making stuff than I do using it all!

    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Eerie, PA
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG Cayenne Pepp
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Posts
    954
    Images
    1
    funny, Laurie and I camped before we were married lol never really had a problem getting her to go. In fact somethings she is more comfortable than I am doing in the woods...

  4. #4
    subcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Hamden, CT
    Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Posts
    141
    Thanks John! Great article, terrific advice, and you are absolutely right on all counts. I couldn't agree more!

    Oh, one more thing...ain't gonna happen.

    She's fabulous and a real trooper. If I told her it was important to me, I know she would be right by my side, but I also know she'd be quietly miserable. The situation definitely limits how often I sleep under the stars, but that's the balance that makes it all work, right?
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

  5. #5
    Senior Member mbal1856's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    MYG DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    238
    Good information there, and even if I followed it to a t, I'm pretty sure the chances of me getting my wife out there are about as good as the Bills making the playoffs this year. Her idea of roughing it is if I was able to afford one of those million dollar rv's you see on the travel channel.

  6. #6
    TrailSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Posts
    6,720
    Images
    1
    Excellent advice John. I hope this works for many but some of us may not want our wives to go. It's kinda of good to get away from time to time. Sorta like a man cave in the woods There are times when I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner but I always seem to have more fun with the guys and enjoy time at home with the wife.

  7. #7
    OneClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    No-trail state
    Hammock
    Various gathered-end types
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ, SF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Posts
    9,668
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Excellent advice John. I hope this works for many but some of us may not want our wives to go. It's kinda of good to get away from time to time. Sorta like a man cave in the woods There are times when I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner but I always seem to have more fun with the guys and enjoy time at home with the wife.
    LOL I wasn't going to say anything, but since you got the ball rolling I'll give it a big old +1 (If you're reading this...I still love you hun!!)
    It's overfill, not overstuff

  8. #8
    TrailSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Posts
    6,720
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    LOL I wasn't going to say anything, but since you got the ball rolling I'll give it a big old +1 (If you're reading this...I still love you hun!!)
    I laughed at this one.

  9. #9
    Senior Member tstark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 w/KMs
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Posts
    219
    Thanks, John. Those rules apply to all relationships; wife, kids, and otherwise. My wife enjoys camping, and light hiking, although right now she's not so into it because we have a one year old and a three year old, and they are a lot of work even with the amenities at home.

    She always prefers car camping over wilderness camping, though, and she's not fond of sleeping in the hammock. Our compromise is if I can get the tent and double-high queen size inflatable mattress to the campsite, I can sleep in my hammock while she and the kids take the mattress. I have happily agreed to hiking in four full trips of gear nearly a quarter mile, to get to a great spot and sleep in my hammock, including a fully inflated queen size mattress, through the woods, atop my head. Other campers thought I was crazy, I'm sure.

    She also knows I need to be far in the woods, too. She allows me that, and I make sure that I am spending enough quality time with the family.

    I've found that great views and beautiful landscape is the experience that keeps her agreeing to go out with me.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

  10. #10
    johnspenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Posts
    3,202
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    Great advice!! With our purchase of three hammocks for our little family, I am going to start the ladies out in the backyard. I am planning to clear some brush and make a nice spot for us to hang to get used to setting up the hammocks and site. Definitely not good to backpack in a couple miles to a remote site and then struggle setting everything up and getting irritated because everyone is frustrated! My first hang was in the yard and it was a great learning experience, and why I fell in love with hanging! The next time I went I went alone up a mtn and hung and it was great, but a touch lonely. I would rather have company I think most of the time.

    Thank you for your article!
    That's a great idea. It'as always good to get familiar with your equipment in the backyard before hitting the trail. Going out in the wilds with untested and unfamiliar gear is just asking for trouble!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    funny, Laurie and I camped before we were married lol never really had a problem getting her to go. In fact somethings she is more comfortable than I am doing in the woods...
    That's good that getting outside was a shared passion coming in to your marriage. Here's hoping that will continue!

Similar Threads

  1. Superior Hiking Trail - Wife's First Trip
    By Bic in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 01:06
  2. Tips for 1st time with the wife
    By dukedante in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 18:00
  3. Superior Hiking Trail (and why my wife doesn't like you)
    By Hooplehead in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 10:20
  4. Tips or tricks for my new puppy on the trail?
    By roadrunner in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 09:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •