Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Well, dang... thought I had my underquilt plans in hand, now this new wrinkle comes along! Looking forward to hearing more about how this style works in the field.

And thanks for the history lesson...had heard Speer products mentioned but now I can appreciate how groundbreaking the Snugfit was.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I'm interested in hearing about a field test with the costco quilt. It has some obvious limitations, being thin and sewn through.

However, I'm sitting on two of them right now, so if it works, I'm interested in doing the same.

Please post your results when you get around to it.

Thanks for pix!

With your particular project, because of the limited amount of shock cord, probably needs to be a bit shorter to make it snug up. If it doesn't hug against an empty hammock, it needs to be shorter/tighter. Same is true if you are laying in the hammock and can feel any air pockets underneath anywhere. It should be 100% flush with the hammock.

One thing i'm doing with my quilt is tying a 12" section of regular cord onto the ring, then using that to tie onto the hammock. That way if it needs to be a bit tighter or looser, i just retie the attachment cord. I use this to switch between my outdoor WBBB and my indoor Brazilian hammock which is much longer. Might as well put the quilt to good use when inside too!
    Yep - I do the same thing with my wooki

As such a slightly shorter clew is better? Then you can lengthen it with the cord to fit your various hammocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Handmade Diy
    Tarp
    Winter tarp diy
    Insulation
    CostcoUQ/TQ clewed
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Hung in it a little bit this afternoon and the fit is great.
    12 ft Hammock,double layer, 7 foot UQ, that makes my nettles 25 inches. I actually made them 20 not 21 like I originally said. It's a little short on the sides but my top quilt will compensate. Also working on a sil-poly cover for the bottom of the UQ really just for keeping the breeze out, making it removable.
    I have a scout trip with my 11 yr old in 3 weeks at Chickamauga battlefield Campground. Planning on hanging, but not sure about trees and I haven't messed with Hammock stands yet?...

Hammock
    Handmade Diy
    Tarp
    Winter tarp diy
    Insulation
    CostcoUQ/TQ clewed
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Here's the moment of truth.

And

snuggled up.

39 degrees and I'm toasty. Winds blowing about 5 miles from the northeast but everything is holding true. I'll keep you posted in the morning.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigryn0 View Post
    Here's the moment of truth.

And

snuggled up.

39 degrees and I'm toasty. Winds blowing about 5 miles from the northeast but everything is holding true. I'll keep you posted in the morning.

Awesome!!!!

I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Images
    First off, awesome work on this to all. I don't know how I missed this thread for a month. I've got an upcoming UQ project and may try this. Even if it doesn't pan out, it doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to convert it back to a more traditional UQ.

I was going to suggest something like bigryn0 did but I'm shooting for ultralight.
    In my mind (and this goes for more traditional UQ suspensions too) we want to figure out the maximum amount of stretch we need and use only that much shock cord and no more. The rest should be something like the smallest Zline or maybe spectra or dacron braid fishing line.

I'm wondering if we could replace the decorative knot with a triangle of wide waistband elastic and use static lines for the nettles. Similarly, we could potentially replace the descender ring with a loop of thicker shock cord maybe. Or perhaps latex tubing. I'm not sure if either of these would distribute the tension properly.

Alternately we could work from the other end and use a strip of spandex type material at the UQ and then a static clew to minimize the amount of relatively heavy spandex.

Hammock
    Handmade Diy
    Tarp
    Winter tarp diy
    Insulation
    CostcoUQ/TQ clewed
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    First off, awesome work on this to all. I don't know how I missed this thread for a month. I've got an upcoming UQ project and may try this. Even if it doesn't pan out, it doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to convert it back to a more traditional UQ.

I was going to suggest something like bigryn0 did but I'm shooting for ultralight.
    In my mind (and this goes for more traditional UQ suspensions too) we want to figure out the maximum amount of stretch we need and use only that much shock cord and no more. The rest should be something like the smallest Zline or maybe spectra or dacron braid fishing line.

I'm wondering if we could replace the decorative knot with a triangle of wide waistband elastic and use static lines for the nettles. Similarly, we could potentially replace the descender ring with a loop of thicker shock cord maybe. Or perhaps latex tubing. I'm not sure if either of these would distribute the tension properly.

Alternately we could work from the other end and use a strip of spandex type material at the UQ and then a static clew to minimize the amount of relatively heavy spandex.
    Ultra light is right. I chose the shower hooks for that very reason. And I don't know about the spandex but the latex tubing sounds interesting...
    I don't really know if it would be any lighter.

The night went great. No cold spots except my feet, but I chocking that up to my TQ. And have fixed that issue. It started raining about 445am and I was dry, and toasty. Sticking with the "static" clew, shock cord setup. Tension is good and I can still move it around it I need to.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post

Thoughts on that:

We're using 1/16" featherweight shock cord on these (so far). I don't think you're going to save any weight at all by trying to substitute some other kind of cordage for a portion of it.

Mechanically, it's the stretchiness that makes this design work. If you take that out, the design fails. You actually need more stretch than necessary for this design to work and not risk damaging the quilt. If you max out the stretch of the quilt suspension when you get in the hammock, you instantly go from putting ~2lbs of pressure on the quilt to putting your entire body weight in it. Recipe for disaster. So, there is a reason why the nettles should not be static lines.

You absolutely do not need to use a descender ring. I'm using a keyring. That's more than adequate for anything your quilt needs to do.

You can certainly skip the decorative weaving. Here is a simple whipped clew i prototyped using a West Country Whipping technique. However, you won't save any weight with either method, so don't worry about that. (The whipped version is much simpler though.)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by leiavoia; 12-31-2016 at 14:42.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    I really wish a cottage vendor would pick up this design. I never did pass my swing machine drivers licence...

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Foxpoop and I worked on a suspension based off of this design. We took a SLD synthetic quilt that wasn't getting much use and instead of using a clew design, we calculated a line length for each nettle and sewed lineloc "light"s at even spacing on the ends of the quilts. The nettles get tied to a split ring, and then are adjustable at the lineloc. I adjusted the nettles to approximately the same length while he was in it, and would be able to get a custom lay on many a hammock. The suspension worked perfectly, and I would recommend trying it if you are person who is bothered by the way an UQ can alter the lay of a GE hammock. IMG_20161231_105957.jpgIMG_20161231_110013.jpg IMG_20161231_110019.jpg
    IMG_20161231_110031.jpg
    IMG_20161231_110036.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Intimidator; 01-02-2017 at 10:44.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast