Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Images
    Those nettles are still shock cord right?

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Those nettles are still shock cord right?
    Yep! Used 3/32 reflective dutch, but I think 1/16 would work. Leaning towards litesmith 5/64 line which will save a bit. Foxpoop calculated the weights of a regular quilt suspension to this one, and it came out about 7 grams or so heavier for the nettles. Definitely worth it, especially if you are already using a full length quilt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Seems like a good plan, but i dont see any improvement over the standard design, as others have stated with gaps and lack of adjustibility whathaveyou, thats tried and true. Inhave an arrowhead equipment uq, and the shock cord cinch eliminates any gapage, and the space between my butt and the uq (3-4"ish) is just an additional buffer that stays warm. When its blowin ugly and wet around, the shock cord suspension in the loops along the side pull it up to me pretty solid. I cannot see sewing buttons to build a clew for it creating any additional warmness. Definitely sweet in design and i can see how i would alter your clewed setup slightly for weight and adjustibity, so i dont think it isnt worth marketing. Hell, i really wanna try it lol. Good on you for thinking outside the box
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    The ideas in this thread are so great!
    Makes me want to sew my own UQ, even though I'm managing with stuff I already have.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    Seems like a good plan, but i dont see any improvement over the standard design, as others have stated with gaps and lack of adjustibility whathaveyou, thats tried and true. Inhave an arrowhead equipment uq, and the shock cord cinch eliminates any gapage, and the space between my butt and the uq (3-4"ish) is just an additional buffer that stays warm. When its blowin ugly and wet around, the shock cord suspension in the loops along the side pull it up to me pretty solid. I cannot see sewing buttons to build a clew for it creating any additional warmness. Definitely sweet in design and i can see how i would alter your clewed setup slightly for weight and adjustibity, so i dont think it isnt worth marketing. Hell, i really wanna try it lol. Good on you for thinking outside the box
    My method is definitely adjustable. There are no gaps using this method. I was skeptical before trying it. The places that look like gaps aren't actually letting cold air in. The quilt seals up just beyond them. The biggest advantage of this system is that it doesn't change the lay of the hammock, and moves with the user, offering a perfect shoulder and heel contact in most positions.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Foxpoop and I worked on a suspension based off of this design. We took a SLD synthetic quilt that wasn't getting much use and instead of using a clew design, we calculated a line length for each nettle and sewed lineloc "light"s at even spacing on the ends of the quilts. The nettles get tied to a split ring, and then are adjustable at the lineloc. I adjusted the nettles to approximately the same length while he was in it, and would be able to get a custom lay on many a hammock. The suspension worked perfectly, and I would recommend trying it if you are person who is bothered by the way an UQ can alter the lay of a GE hammock. Attachment 142944Attachment 142945 Attachment 142946

This is awesome!!!! I am loving how many people are picking up on this design.
    Attachment 142947
    Attachment 142948

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

You're Doing Underquilts All Wrong. Get A Clew ;-)

Thanks to Intimidator for sharing our project (and for doing all the sewing).
    I am very sensitive to calf ridge or anything (shock cord against me) that changes the feel of the lay, so this project is a winner for me. There is absolutely no change (in my opinion) to the lay with this system. Most importantly, this system is approved by my little buddy, Max Patch...

I doubt that using single strands of 3/32" cord and line lock lights is "better" than using 1/16" shock corded clews, but I wanted the option to make some adjustments, if necessary.
    We are going to make a summer quilt with 2.5 oz Climashield and try using the 2mm (5/64" shock cord this time). I have calculated the total weight of this suspension system at 78.5 grams (2.76 oz). This is compared to a "traditional" quilt suspension weight of 64 grams (2.25 oz)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Question Design Challenge

So it seems that the design works as advertised for those who have tried it.

One cosmetic issue I would like to iron out is the scalloped edge "puckering". It doesn't have any material effect, but I still wish it would look flat.

Can you think of a way to do this?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    So it seems that the design works as advertised for those who have tried it.

One cosmetic issue I would like to iron out is the scalloped edge "puckering". It doesn't have any material effect, but I still wish it would look flat.

Can you think of a way to do this?
    Just off the top of my head but cord of some sort running from one corner of the UQ up over the ridgeline and connected to other corner to pull up? Not sure that would be worth it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

I am always irritated with the primary line on my shoulder or head. This is worth a try for me. I layed out my jig to the actual width of my UQ and numbered the nettles to correspond with the outside corners and baffle seams. With a total of 9 baffles I have 10 nettles. Now to figure out how to attach the nettles to my Incubator. I'm thinking of going with the button method.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast