Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    I have actually been thinking about making some skins like this. Do they stay in place well or do you wish you had made them tighter?

Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    I have actually been thinking about making some skins like this. Do they stay in place well or do you wish you had made them tighter?
    Mine are attached with short whipping just under the ring. I wish i had made mine larger (mine are 3.5" circumference). With the narrowness, they can be somewhat obstructive if they can not be held back well.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.2 GE, Lux Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Since I actually haven't tried to pack it yet, I can't really say how well it works. Seem to work just fine in the house.

The snap obviously holds the bottom at a fixed distance from the quilt while the shock cinch cord prevents it from pulling over the key ring. It's not worth using cord locks, so I just tied knots. I can always tie it tighter if need be. Zing-it could be used just as well at the top end since it doesn't have to slip over the key ring like the bottom must.

The diameter of these is fine as is. I didn't measure it, but I can get about 1/2 an index finger into it, and I have girly-man size hands. Keep in mind I'm using 16 nettles of 1/32 shock cord. I made these out of strips of leftover material from tarp snake skin projects, the width just happened to be close enough to what was needed (just checked, about 2.25"). As I said, not well planned. Keep in mind I'm using 16 nettles of 1/32 shock cord.

I wonder if they wouldn't be a smidge better if tapered wider at the quilt end?
    I often think to myself, if only I had an ounce of gold for every stupid thing I've ever said or done... --sqidmark

Hammock
    Super Nova
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Clews
    Suspension
    Rainbows
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nj4x4fever View Post
    Sorry it took so long to give you a review
    I hung the hammock during the Friday snow storm here in NJ. The triple layer of my underquilt with a double layer top quilt kept me nice and warm I also have a new Argon vented winter sock($57)by Dutchwaregear that I wanted to test out too. It was definitely a game changer. It got down to about 20 degrees but the wind chill made it cooler. So with 3 layers underneath me Blue underquilt (single layer ) and red supplemental quilt doubled in half(2 layers) and two topquilts had me so warm in conjunction with the Winter sock. At one point during the night(bathroom break) I opened the sock and was really surprised to feel a big temperature difference under my Superfly Tarp by Warbonnet.
    The Argon Sock was way overkill so I removed it (in the morning) because I wanted to test the underquilts by themselves.
    Then Saturday night I gave it a go and was still quite toasty inside. It got down to 20 degrees. I slept through the night until my bathroom break. It took a while to get warm again and I wished I didn't remove The winter sock. So I ended up using my Jetboil and boiled water for my insulated container I held between my legs and went back to sleep. Using that method to keep warm was a godsend. Overall I slept two nights in my setup and was very warm until I had taken the bathroom break on the second night.
    I was dressed wearing cotton sweat pants and a tee shirt and wool socks.
    I need to cut down on all the static electricity this setup had so I will be using a fabric softener type sheet when I load the blankets into the dryer less the clews suspension. I will tumble it on no heat and hope the dryer sheets help. Or else I will spray a static guard spray on each quilt.
    This was my first review so please go easy on me.
    This is a photo after it had snowed and the sun came out Friday.

I can honestly say that this setup would be good for 25-30 degrees but in conjunction with a winter sock I could probably take it down to a lower temperature say 15-20. I sleep a little on the warm side. So all in all I slept well. I believe the second quilt folded really helped too.

I'll post more photos later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow wow wow
    This looks amazing!!!
    I sew things on youtube.
    Hammock origins, not lost to time.

"The woods are full of eager interpreters" - Clifford Geertz

I finally got around to taking pictures!

This is the clew in a sock made from noseeum, with shock cord draw strings.
    P3160043.jpg

Close up of the end fitting around the s-biner connections at the quilt.
    P3160044.jpg

I had to add tension to the outer nettles because the sides sagged a little too much. This adjustment worked great. I tied a simple loop to shorten each side on either end.
    P3160045.jpg
    P3160047.jpg

Close up of the nettles
    P3160049.jpg

I set my camera to 12 second delay and put it on the ground then got into the hammock. This is a shot from below with weight in the hammock.
    P3160053.jpg

And a final shot of the entire setup.
    P3160056.jpg

I'm very happy with how this suspension system turned out. I'll have to provide a progress report as I put it to use on my PCT hike this year.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    13x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    Leaivoia Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    That looks great xray . It's shocking how well the clew system works. Worry free once you get it dialed in.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Thanks for posting xray. I've been patiently waiting ;-)

You have the world's first and only s-biner clip-on clew quilt.

If you have a cheap source for the s-biners, i'm interested in getting some.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If you have a cheap source for the s-biners, i'm interested in getting some.
    Well, a long story but basically I found they're discontinuing these. I bought some key chain sets and used those. Here's a link: Nite Eyez KeyRack S-biners

You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot near the keys too.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    13x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    Leaivoia Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch

Trip Report and Reflection on 44 pages

I've been tinkering with hammock stuff over the Winter. Now that the snow is starting to melt out, i finally get to use some of it.

My DIY down underquilt has been with me for a couple of years now but it always had problems of being excessively fiddly to adjust and always left me with cold spots. I designed this clew suspension specifically to address this problem on specifically my quilt. Based on some ideas from others, I put together a pretty good system that anybody could try and gives spectacular results. If anyone else benefits from the idea, that's great, too.

I took my Frankenquilt 3.0 out for a spin last weekend in a wet, shady spot by a river in the rain forest of the Oregon Coast. Temps were in the mid 30's. Not super cold, but about the temps i expect around here and for which my quilt is designed.

No cold spots! No fiddling! No untying and retying at 2am! Works the first time! Sweet, good lookin' curves! No "taco blanket"! No shockcord-face! Just a warm underside without a second thought, like it's supposed to be.

Thanks to everyone that posted interesting ideas in this thread. Please continue to innovate. At this point though, i have the underquilt i wanted in the first place. Now it's time to get out and use it.

Design Notes: This is a DIY, full length, sewn-though "truffle-baffle" design using WalMart scrap nylon ripstop fabric, down sucked out of old jackets from Goodwill, and clews using 1/16" shockcord on "JellySnaps". Clews attach to a keyring and have a thin "clew skirt" made from the same material. Ties onto the hammock suspension using a good ol' slip knot. I left the cinch cord in the ends to snug up the scallops, which happens to work well.

IMG_3963-s.jpg IMG_3969-s.jpg
    Last edited by leiavoia; 03-20-2017 at 23:56.