Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    You can just whip the ends, yes. At this scale it's definitely much easier. But weaving gets you bonus points for style.
    It seemed so much easier to use a western whipping knot. That's what I did. I modified it though to join the two ends of the whip with one square knot. With paracord I would be confident it wouldn't slip loose but with 1/16" elastic cord I just wasn't so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessness View Post
    It seemed so much easier to use a western whipping knot. That's what I did. I modified it though to join the two ends of the whip with one square knot. With paracord I would be confident it wouldn't slip loose but with 1/16" elastic cord I just wasn't so sure.
    The next one I did with the weave and it was very easy. I also think the weave makes it easier to separate the strands in the proper order.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    10*10
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    The whipping def makes the nettles easier to mix around, and thats a bear to undo when it happens. I sewed one square sleeping bag into a clewed uq, with some grosgrain that was a perimeter barrier as the anchor points (ugly, too big to hike in, but large and super warm; GRREEEAAAATTT lowcost solution for a uq with a bag from a thrift store or the like) and it worked great. On the gemini thread, a member used 5/8" double sided fabric tape and 5/8" ribbon to make the anchor points and he reported good results. I just converted a youth bag (came with a shoddy hammock, to be tied into the hammock to be weasled into and then stuck laying in the center, TERRRRIIIBLE design, decent bag) with the tape-and-ribbon method and my wife is sleeping in the hammock in the boys room as i type. Looks plenty warm to me! I set out to convert three bags, chopped and hemmed the hood off the first one and realized i could leave the hood and still use ribbon and it can still serve ground duty if needed. Off to convert the other two meaw. Preeeeetty tedious with the measuring and taping, but at $200+ a pop ill suffer through the back and finger pain to get these kids off the ground. Pictures to follow successful conversions.
    THE J-BEND http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    full-time hammocker; all night every night.
    J. Garcia