Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Images
    Addressing some concerns:

Weight: There is a big difference between using 1/16" and 1/8" shock cord. Remember that doubling the diameter roughly quadruples the weight (theoretically). The thin stuff weighs very very little, even when you include 40 ft of it. I'm using a simple 10 cent key ring which also weighs virtually nothing. In exchange, i'm dumping the 1/8" shock cord normally used all around, the secondary suspension cord and hardware (if any), and the cinch-ends. I have not directly weighed them all (can't be bothered!) but i can feel the difference in my personal setup. I'm all in on clews. If you take measurements, please let us know what you end up with.

End Gaps: In the image i posted, there appear to be some end gaps. Keep in mind that i'm not actually in the hammock pictured. The quilt spreads out flat when you climb in. Also: more nettles would spread out the distribution of force. Mine has only 8, which is what i'm considering minimal. Also also: I fluffed most of the down towards the bottom/center, so the ends don't have much left to fluff up with in the picture.

Stretchy Fabric: This is something i had also considered, but didn't know what fabric to use. I think its a great idea, as it would produce a perfectly graduated distribution of force, just like the hammock itself. One concern is that it may not adapt well to a larger-than-built-for hammock.

Nettle Length Issues: Remember that you have force pulling on both ends and they tend to even each other out. Even if you don't get the exact distribution you expected, you probably won't notice. You still get uplift and hug no matter what. This is a non-issue. However, of course you should test it at home before heading out on a winter trip. For what it's worth, i'm using nettles of all the same length (mostly to avoid building a special jig for it)

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I think you are being a bit optimistic with the phrase "less cordage, less weight". I would be a bit concerned by the extra weight of the shockcord nettles, would be lighter to use fabric (a la Warbonnet Wookie).
    I followed the exact instructions for the clew suspension and it comes in at 2 1/8 oz. It seems very light weight. Will try my first overnighter in it tomorrow to see how it hangs.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    it seems to me that it would be a bit difficult to get the lengths right all the way across the board on the shock cord. I realize it stretches and would be somewhat self adjusting, but would seem to me that even tension would be most effective. .
    I didn't have a problem getting the shock cord tension to be even. Threading the clew was pretty simple. I took video. I hope to eventually get it online and post it, so you can see.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Post video! Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat

Where to find this mesh fabric?

I'd like to try using mesh fabric like this. What's it called, and where can I find it? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post

I'm wondering if this stuff might be the answer.... it has a good deal of stretch.

Hemmed triangle [or possibly a trapezoid] sewn all the way across would give an equal "pull". D-rings stitched down on the points
    Hmmmm....

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Fascinating approach! If I didn't already have more UQs than I can use I'd be ordering fabric to try one of these. Will be following to see how it works for folks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    I start to like the clew idea more and more. Compared to stretchy fabric, it is much easier to detach and can hence be adjusted to other hammocks easily. Definitely will try tonight and report.

Did you ever think about not weaving the clew and instead just tying the shock cord to the ring? Is there any functional benefit provided by the clew weaving itself? I do not see any.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by echinotrix View Post
    Did you ever think about not weaving the clew and instead just tying the shock cord to the ring? Is there any functional benefit provided by the clew weaving itself? I do not see any.
    You can just whip the ends, yes. At this scale it's definitely much easier. But weaving gets you bonus points for style.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    But weaving gets you bonus points for style.
    Ah, yes. I see your point.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Single
    Tarp
    hb XL Rain Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Strap, rings, loop
    I'm a big fan of unique names for these DIY projects. The two hammock stands I designed are called the Spurtle and the Twerp. Though naming rights definitely belong to the OP, I thought I might suggest the CLUQ. I guess it could be pronounced either "cluck" or "clewk" (see what I did there?).

OK. I'm done, now. Gotta order some shock cord.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast