Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images

501 Hang weekend of Jan 13

Saint Frances and me are meeting up on the AT at the shelter area of 501. Feel free to join us
    OldnWay

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'm in. Well, I want to be in but Ive gotta ask my wife first just to make sure we don't have plans. I'll know for sure later on today. Sounds like fun though, I've never been anywhere on the AT except for the fall MAHHA. I'll more than likely be able to make it. Weekend of the 13th, is that Fri- Sun or Sat - Sun ?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Just a heads up that there is a new caretaker at the 501 Shelter who is unfortunately very unfriendly. He gave a few of us (group of 5) a hard time a month or so ago for having gear that in his mind disqualified us as backpackers. We tried to be nice and kill him with kindness but he insisted on being a horse's *** and threatened us with calling the police and then reporting us to the ATC (neither of which he did) - I guess in an attempt to run us off. When he finally realized he wasn't going to intimidate us into leaving he told us "never come back here" and stormed off.

We stayed, made our meal, enjoyed the campfire and later the hammocks, and left things the next morning in pristine condition as we always do, but his bad vibes made it less enjoyable than usual.
    Last edited by Black Foot; 12-20-2016 at 19:52.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    I'm definitely interested.. I'd be coming from the Annapolis area. Where are you planning on parking? Not too familiar with that area. Is this the 13-15th?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    Just a heads up that there is a new caretaker at the 501 Shelter who is unfortunately very unfriendly. He gave a few of us (group of 5) a hard time a month or so ago for having gear that in his mind disqualified us as backpackers. We tried to be nice and kill him with kindness but he insisted on being a horse's *** and threatened us with calling the police and then reporting us to the ATC (neither of which he did) - I guess in an attempt to run us off. When he finally realized he wasn't going to intimidate us into leaving he told us "never come back here" and stormed off.

We stayed, made our meal, enjoyed the campfire and later the hammocks, and left things the next morning in pristine condition as we always do, but his bad vibes made it less enjoyable than usual.
    Most employees have a boss--if all five of y'all sent letters, emails, and phone calls to his boss maybe he could enjoy a new job as a bouncer in a seedy club. Even if he is technically following all the rules he is hired to enforce--he is violating the number one rule--treat others with kindness and good cheer when possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post

Wow!

I knew there was a new caretaker but that stinks.

Wonder if he was given marching orders or if folks had been trashing the site. Ugh.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Quote Originally Posted by stowe18 View Post
    I'm definitely interested.. I'd be coming from the Annapolis area. Where are you planning on parking? Not too familiar with that area. Is this the 13-15th?
    I have basically the same question. My winter top quilt will be here by then so im interested.

I'm also interested, I haven't been to any of the big group hands but have been meaning to. I've also just bought some new cold weather quilts I want to try out

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcvd01 View Post
    I'm also interested, I haven't been to any of the big group hands but have been meaning to. I've also just bought some new cold weather quilts I want to try out
    This is not a big group hang, just a few guy's getting together. You are welcome to join us also I should mention I will not get there untill Saturday morning
    OldnWay

Oh yeah, I meant I haven't gotten to any hangs so I'd like to try and get to this smaller gathering. I probably wouldn't get there til Saturday as well

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast