Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles

Ridge runner thoughts

Thanks to the thanksgiving sale I have a ridge runner.
    It's as comfortable as advertised.

But man, it's a saggy system. It works when you're in it and everything is taut, but it's a pain to set up knowing how much sag is built in.

Can this be changed with different suspension straps or it's just the nylon of the hammock? I'm in the double model and weigh 180. I'll be switching to BIAS strap anchors soon (I like removable multiple use suspension).

My Phoenix uq works well with a z lite pad. The secondary suspension keeps it tight. Seems like a winner for sumner hiking. For colder time I think a full (bridge specific) uq is probably in my future or a full length air pad

Here's a SLD nightwing tarp over it

Obviously this is minimal coverage tarp and needs a uqp , but I think it fits for nuisance rain season. Helps keep the views of the hammock.

Another view of the tarp. I have a 12 hex for my main tarp and that works well too.

Anyway just a nice hammock. We have a rainy upper 50° forecast for Christmas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    What do you mean by saggy? This is the first time I've ever heard a Ridgerunner classified as saggy. I would classify the gathered end hammocks as saggy but never a bridge? Do you have the suspension tight enough and remember the bridges need more of a flatter 30° angle which means the suspension doesn't go nearly as high as a gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    I hung it twice. Once at close to 20ft, then closer to 15ft.

I'm comparing it to a ge with an amsteel ridge line. I feel like with a ge you get in and the only sag is predictable.

I'm new to bridges, so I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it seems even with the longer and tighter suspension run, the whole system bobs down with weight more than the GE.

Once your in it, the hammock is flat and stable. I've read about this effect before in regards to how the bridge requires a different hang angle and how the angle changes when you insert bars, then again when you apply weight.

I suppose the longer suspension is the main culprit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    It's taken me a while to break my GE habit. I had a pretty good system with both my Hennessy models. I'd poke my arms out holding trekking poles and end up with two trees about 14' apart. When hanging I'd have my straps about as high as I can reach (just shy of 8'). For the bridge I find I need just a bit more distance between trees, especially since I replaced the cinch buckles with some from Dutch (great upgrade). But, I tend to put the straps lower on the trees and cinch it up a little more snug. Since there's no ridgeline to "set" the sag it just takes a bit of experience but you'll get there.

I feel the "sag" sometimes and just get out, move the straps down a bit, and tighten the suspension. It just takes a second and makes a pretty big difference in the comfort. You'll know you've gone too far when you lie down and it seems to be "tippy". So, the sweet spot is in between saggy and tippy.....clear as mud, right??

Don't forget to hang the foot end just a big higher. Because the head has that kind of built in "ramp" for your head/shoulders the effect is kind of exaggerated. I sometimes end up with the foot end hanging nearly 12" higher than the head.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony c View Post
    I hung it twice. Once at close to 20ft, then closer to 15ft.

I'm comparing it to a ge with an amsteel ridge line. I feel like with a ge you get in and the only sag is predictable.

I'm new to bridges, so I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it seems even with the longer and tighter suspension run, the whole system bobs down with weight more than the GE.

Once your in it, the hammock is flat and stable. I've read about this effect before in regards to how the bridge requires a different hang angle and how the angle changes when you insert bars, then again when you apply weight.

I suppose the longer suspension is the main culprit.

Hi, Tony.
    I think you're on the right track.
    This is a longer hammock, between the metal triangle links. 14' 3", by my measurement...
    You also mentioned the hang angle.
    I think I recall Shug specified 30 degrees as the desired hang-angle for gathered ends, but closer to 25 degrees is the angle to shoot for, when hanging the Warbonnet Ridgerunner.

When I first suspended mine, I used two trees, 15' apart. What a ride! Tipsy, Tipsy, Tipsy!
    Then I lowered the angle to correct that, and ruined the nice predictable flat lay of the thing...
    Restart...
    New trees; 20' apart. 7 feet up? Too high. 5' 6". A little better.
    Now to get the angle. PLUS, get the feet end up, one foot higher than my head... Bingo.
    My butt is only 1 foot off the ground, but now this thing is dreamy! The tipsiness is all gone. The lay is flat.
    From there, it just took some tinkering and raising the ends, slowly. ( you don't wanna drag your UQ on the ground...)
    The other thing that'll help you, when you first start using this hammock, is to always zip the bug net around, completely. Don't store it in the foot end, until next year. Make it your teacher. That bug net KNOWS what your hammock is supposed to be shaped like. Brandon entered all that data, so to speak, into the lines and cuts of the fabric.
    Best wishes. Ted.

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Cool tips thanks everybody

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    It's as simple as this, from warbonnet's site

https://youtu.be/crsmtPu9fL0

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Lol, the biggest adjustment was just learning that I can be rough and not break it with intended usage. I've just been setting up with different trees today and now I just fall in.

+1 What the guys the guys said above. It won't take take long to get it figured out. It's an awesome hang. It is an extremely versatile hammock and is super comfortable. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Another plus on extended tree distance! I have found I need at least 18 ft between trees to get an optimal hang with my RR

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast