Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Thanks, Kitsap. That is exactly what I was planning. I was going to get the asym tarp kit and the UQ kit. It has some stuff I won't need for the TQ, but is saves me some $$ of the materials. Plus, I like dealing with Dutch. So far I have a netless hammock and the UQ kit I just built. I'm curious, but why does the kit call out just grosgrain reinforcement for the auxiliary tie outs, and not triangles of the heavier material like at the corners? Is this what you did? BTW, nice tarp in the pics!

mathineer

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Friends that don't like Dutch bling? Blink. Blink.

mathineer

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    Friends that don't like Dutch bling? Blink. Blink.

mathineer
    Not "dislike", just "don't know". I am the only person in my social circle who knows/cares about hammock camping.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    ...I'm curious, but why does the kit call out just grosgrain reinforcement for the auxiliary tie outs, and not triangles of the heavier material like at the corners? Is this whm at you did? BTW, nice tarp in the pics!
    The Wide Asym Tarp Kit comes with 4-1/3 yards of Xenon Wide to make his variable-length ridge line rain fly, if you follow Dutch's design; which calls for triangles of Xenon (essentially a double layer of tarp material) at all the "heavy-duty" tie-out points and then just smaller loops of bar-tacked grosgrain at the supplemental tie-out points (for extra storm coverage).

Yes, the photos are of one of my DIY Asym tarps made with Xenon Wide. (I've done 6 of them to date!) I did a little calculation and simplified/scaled down Dutch's design. I made it out of jusy 3 yards of XW -- it's a 6' x 9' rectangular tarp -- and did away with the variable ridge line, but I still get 130" at the ridge line and expansive lateral coverage because the fabric is so wide, all in a tiny 8.5 oz package. In my revised version 2.0, again, inspired by Dutch's design, I added four extra tie-outs (one at the midpoint of each side) for multiple ground-pitching options in addition to asym hammock coverage, and it still weighs just 9 ounces. I reinforced all of my tie-outs identically with triangles of 300D pack cloth.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    I think I'll probably put tie-outs in something like the instructions, but if there is enough of the heavier fabric I'll put triangles in all locations.

I just reviewed the instructions, and it looks like there is 4 yds of tarp fabric and 1/3 yd of reinforcement which would be 1 ft by 60". That ought to be enough for some extra triangles. It's the side tie out points that just have grosgrain reinforcement. I had the screwed up in my memory. I might try to use the full 4 yd length, and play with the short side tie outs. Might also add smaller triangles for the side tie outs.

I'm also thinking of trying to use the full 75". I think I read on the original thread where Dutch introduced the tarp (was it May?) that some folks used the selvage for maximum width without problems.

I should probably start a new thread for this project.

BTW, I placed the order for another UQ pkg (to be used for the top quilt), and the asym tarp kit.

BTW 2, I did some rough calculations on weight. My entire sleep/shelter system should come in at about 5.5 lbs with hammock, tarp UQ and TQ, compared with about 10 lbs with the lightweight tend gnd sheet, pad, and sleeping bag I was carrying before. Should be a lot less bulky too, which will let me use a smaller pack and save another 3 lbs from what I was using before. My feet will like that!

mathineer

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Not "dislike", just "don't know". I am the only person in my social circle who knows/cares about hammock camping.
    I guess that's why we're here on this forum. Not a lot of hammockers in the general population. :-)

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think I'll probably put tie-outs in something like the instructions, but if there is enough of the heavier fabric I'll put triangles in all locations.
    I think reinforcing all of your tie-outs with patches is prudent, but, to be clear, the kit includes an additional 1/3-yard piece of Xenon Wide -- it's not a heavier fabric, just a second layer of the same fabric. I always use 300D pack cloth for my corner reinforcements and edge tie-outs; it is sold by the 1/2-yard, and using my methods (cutting eight triangles with a 9" base from two 9" squares), a half-yard of 300D will let you finish six asym tarps. (You can probably get away with 8" or smaller squares as the basis for your triangular patches if you want to save a few grams...)

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-09-2017 at 22:52.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I think reinforcing all of your tie-outs with patches is prudent, but, to be clear, the kit includes an additional 1/3-yard piece of Xenon Wide -- it's not a heavier fabric, just a second layer of the same fabric. I always use 300D pack cloth for my corner reinforcements and edge tie-outs; it is sold by the 1/2-yard, and using my methods (cutting eight triangles with a 9" base from two 9" squares), a half-yard of 300D will let you finish six asym tarps. (You can probably get away with 8" or smaller squares as the basis for your triangular patches if you want to save a few grams...)
    Oh, I didn't get that. Do you think that provides adequate reinforcement? I already placed the order. I guess I could add another one for the pack material.

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Oh, I didn't get that. Do you think that provides adequate reinforcement? I already placed the order. I guess I could add another one for the pack material...
    Don't sweat it. Your tarp will be plenty strong with Xenon patches.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345