TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle

Recommendations for inexpensive thread injector

So, my daughter is getting into thread injecting and I was wondering are there any particular brands or models that are reliable and easy to use? I am not looking to start a side business, just some DIY projects.

Thanks.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    Tablecloth - custom
    Tarp
    12'x12' guide gear
    Insulation
    CDT DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I ended up with the Brother XL-2600i It is/was my first and it came recommended by a friend who uses hers a lot. It is simple and so far, it has been very easy to use. Lots of video's on YouTube. The first one I watched was done by a little kid so the intimidation factor went away immediately.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Don't overlook the used machine market. Older machines were made with more metal and so they still work well even if they are 50+ years old. I've found many machines under $30.00 that only needed a little oiling to get up and running again. If you are so inclined, check out some local thrift stores. Sewing shops also sell refurbished machines if you don't want any fuss. I decent newer machine will serve you well for but I think it's not only rewarding getting an old machine up and running but it's also good for the environment to ensure it doesn't go to a landfill. Just my $0.02. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

The least expensive is going to be the one that someone gives you. Most any elderly female relative or neighbor or coworker has one in their closet that they would love to give to your daughter and teach her how to use it as well. Psychologically, they were valued possessions so they can't just put it to the curb even though they haven't touched it in years. They have been planning to hand it down, but the current generation isn't interested. Seriously, my wife couldn't be happier that I use hers and when she tells the family about it at gatherings, they want to give me theirs. If you can't get one from family or a neighbor, could you post something at work: "my daughter wants to learn how to sew. Does anyone have a sewing machine they don't want anymore?"

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    Older, free ones are great, and fairly easy to come across.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    The singer 44xx series are hard to beat and can usually be had for under $150

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    When I was thinking about jumping into DIY, I started compiling a list of sewing machines that people spoke well of. I also researched other sites, but stuck mostly to this site, as I assumed that the needs of sewing gear is different than that of sewing clothing. Here, the needs seemed to be basic/simple (don't need a lot of built-in stitches, etc). Also, there is a strong preference for older machines on this forum (more metal parts, durable, basic, cheap, and hefty enough to handle thicker material like webbing).

I don't know anything about sewing machines, so I didn't have confidence that I would know what to look for (and what to avoid) in a vintage machine. That left "new, out of the box" machines. Here is the set of machines that I had my eye on (all prices are from Amazon, 2016):

Singer 4423, $130 ($106 on Cyber Monday)
    Singer 4432, $162 ($126 on Black Friday)
    Singer Stylist 7258, $166 - voted "Best Home Sewing Machine" by Consumer Reports, two years in a row
    Singer Talent 3323S, $130 ($102 on Cyber Days)

3 Janome machines were all out of my price range (Sewist $280, Magnolia 7330 $350, and DC 2014 $500)

Brother LS2125i, $70 - does 4-step buttonhole
    Brother XL2600i, $80
    Brother CS6000i, $160 - does 7 styles of 1-step buttonhole

My short list came down to: Singer 4423, Singer 4432, Brother XL2600i, Brother CS6000i.

My limited research gave me the impression that Singer once made wonderful machines, but quality/support has waned, while the
    Brother machines had great reviews for their quality and support. As in all things, your research may yield different conclusions.

There are numerous short, specific, and well-made tutorials for the Brother CS6000i.

Note: Target recently had a sale price of $140 for the Brother CS6000i.

Let us know what you end up with. Good luck!
    Find your inner hammock.

I've only used the Brother CS6000i. It was rated very well on Amazon and I purchased it from them. I've sewn through layers of heavy material with no problem. I am completely satisfied with this machine. I can't believe I got so much machine for the price. I would buy this machine again if I needed one.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Costco has a nice Brother brand for $129.00USD. My daughter bought one, lots of decorative stitches and alphabet. Fun for a crafty person.
    I buy used, all metal machines. Kind of funny, my 195? thread injector survived a major fire.

• + New Posts