Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AHE Potomac or HG Incubator

Hello. Mi name is Hugo, I'm from Ecuador. My first post. Please pardon me if this was previously asked by someone else. I have already done some research and now want some additional input in case I'm not considering something well enough before I purchase the UQ.

Like the title says, I'm trying to choose between buying an Arrowhead-Equipment KAQ Potomac (4 season) or a HammockGear Incubator (0 deg). It's for a HennessyHammock Backpacker. To be used in temps around 20 F with very heavy winds and moderate rain. Also, I move a lot in the hammock and like to sleep in a diagonal lay to get as flat as possible or sometimes sleep on my side. By the way, I'm about 5'7.

Here are the pros and cons I see in them:

Potomac (239.99 usd + shipping):
    -Seems more carefree. Don't have to worrry as much about how to wash it, getting it wet, taking care of it in general.
    -Heavier and bulkier. (still not sure if its that much heavier and bulkier, though. I'm not much of a gram weenie.)
    -Seems to work well even if using the hammocks tie outs (I love using the tie outs)
    -Shorter shipping times
    -Seems to be designed in a way that might not work so well with other hammocks.
    -Will need an underquiltprotector.
    -Climashield doesn't shift.

Incubator (284 usd + shipping):
    -Down seems much more difficult to take care of. Specially concerned with the washing and avoiding down from shifting.
    -Lighter and packs smaller.
    -Doesn't seem to work well using the hammocks tie outs (I love using the tie outs)
    -Shipping times might be long.
    -Seems better designed to work with other hammocks. (I have other hammocks, but HH is my main one)
    -Will need an underquiltprotector.
    -Down shifts and leaks.

I'm sure I'm missing on other details. Could anyone help me out further? What else should I consider? Could someone provide the exact weight of the 4 season potomac? Any help I will be thanked!

NOTE: I'm leaning towards the Potomac (saves me some money and worries), but I can't deny how attracted I feel toward the Incubator. I don't only want a good insulation, I want to be able to be comfortable, toss and turn, and still be comfortable and warm but I don't know which would be better in this case.
    It appears that both are equally comfortable, that both will provide the insulation I need even if I'm a side sleeper. But it seems the Potomac would be better for a toss and turn sleeper in a hennessyhammock. So this gives it an advantege, but the weight and bulk could change my mind, too.
    Last edited by cosi.mo; 12-31-2016 at 22:42.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have quilts from both Arrowhead Equipment and Hammock Gear. You can't go wrong with either.

It looks like you have compared pros and cons of each. Either would work very well. Personally I'd go with the Incubator, but that's my opinion for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    I have quilts from both Arrowhead Equipment and Hammock Gear. You can't go wrong with either.

It looks like you have compared pros and cons of each. Either would work very well. Personally I'd go with the Incubator, but that's my opinion for what it's worth.
    thank you friend

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I love my 0° Incubator. I got mine from Dutch and had it in 3 days. So far I've had it down to 2° and was toasty warm. I use an under quilt protector and with the treated down that's in it, unless it gets rained on directly, should be just fine. When I had my HH expedition I also had a JRB winter nest, and when it was cold I still used the tie outs on the hammock but not on the UQ. This keeps the sides of the UQ right up against you instead of pulling them out away from you. This method was actually recommend to me by Pan ( Jack Tier). The Incubator will also work well with a HH I was told but if you want something that's gonna fit perfectly, I'd look into either the JRB The Nest or Winter Nest. They were designed for the HH. But so was a ee AHE quilt so it all depends on what your looking for. I can only sleek to what I've used and I've used both the WN & Incubator. But I know AHE makes awesome quilts too.
    IMG_20161201_095747_hdr.jpg IMG_20161201_095957_hdr.jpgIMG_20161201_095832_hdr.jpgIMG_20161201_095143_hdr.jpgIMG_20161201_095723_hdr.jpg
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 12-31-2016 at 17:21.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    If size and weight aren't of concern, the AHE will withstand wet conditions better.

The HG will pack lighter, and smaller. That's the main advantages of it.

Every day is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I love my 0° Incubator. I got mine from Dutch and had it in 3 days. So far I've had it down to 2° and was toasty warm. I use an under quilt protector and with the treated down that's in it, unless it gets rained on directly, should be just fine. When I had my HH expedition I also had a JRB winter nest, and when it was cold I still used the tie outs on the hammock but not on the UQ. This keeps the sides of the UQ right up against you instead of pulling them out away from you. This method was actually recommend to me by Pan ( Jack Tier). The Incubator will also work well with a HH I was told but if you want something that's gonna fit perfectly, I'd look into either the JRB The Nest or Winter Nest. They were designed for the HH. But so was a ee AHE quilt so it all depends on what your looking for. I can only sleek to what I've used and I've used both the WN & Incubator. But I know AHE makes awesome quilts too.
    IMG_20161201_095747_hdr.jpg IMG_20161201_095957_hdr.jpgIMG_20161201_095832_hdr.jpgIMG_20161201_095143_hdr.jpgIMG_20161201_095723_hdr.jpg
    thanks, excelent pics. do you have any pics with you inside the hammock using the underquilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    If size and weight aren't of concern, the AHE will withstand wet conditions better.

The HG will pack lighter, and smaller. That's the main advantages of it.
    thanks, I will use it in very wet and muddy conditions.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Not with me in it sorry. What did you wanna see, maybe I can paint you a mental picture ? I just tried to take a pic of me in it using my HG 0° +3 Burrow but its almost too dark to tell. I will say that its 36° right now w/ heavy wind and the digital thermometer in my pocket says 92° lol. Im warm put it that way l
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    You've nailed the pros and cons. One of the biggest pros for me is that Climashield quilts are more durable. I've literally had bad dreams about my down quilts getting ruined from moisture. I still take care of my AHE UQ but I don't wake up in the morning and frantically wipe off moisture that settles on my quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Assuming equally good care and use, the down quilt will have a much greater lifespan. Down and synthetic are both quite resilient at first- but in my experience synthetic loses loft much faster over the long term.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast