Reflectix insulation

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've been hammocking for about 3 years now after stumbling onto Shug's videos. Until I can afford an underquilt I've been using my big Agnes (I think Q core, it's the 3&1/2 one). I've taken it down to upper 20s but I'm about to go out and it's supposed to be 20 degrees or so. I was thinking of getting a roll of refletix to go underneath me. Anyone know if that would work/be sufficient in getting an extra 10 degree cushion? If so, would it work best under my pad or on top of? Thank you so much for your knowledge and time, happy new year!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    It will work for warmth, but the condensation will be bad. Ends up cold and wet, even with a fleece cover over the reflectix.
    May work under your pad for short term. I've used it under another layer in a truck bed in emergency conditions and was dry.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. Under the air pad by all means as this stuff is one of the best vapor barriers know to man and you want that moisture as far away from you as possible. One of the blue Wall Mart pads may work better for you and not hold as much moisture. Check out this Shug YouTube video on using pads.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mekhYiSaNz4

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL/segent
    Tarp
    Hennessy lg hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HH underQ
    Suspension
    ENO susp. Webbing
    I can tell you from experience in Canada winter where I sleep in -40C that you will at -6C(20F) get condensation from reflectix. I find it best belt far under the pad, but most of the time I sleep without a pad and just use a undercover with my clothes/coats or a poncho liner rigged as in underquilt between down to about -5C (25F).
    If it gets chillier than expected I have used a reflective emergency tarp folded with the reflecting material out and tucked between the liner and underquilt protector.
    I am guaranteed to have it frosty with condensation in the AM but at least sandwiched there does not get my slapping bag moist.
    Actually I pull it out in the morning and shake off the frost, by bed time it is good for he next night.
    Long way about saying to have a non-breathable material under other insulation. I actually am going to try the Thermarest hammock warmer. It is reflective and breathable. Will let you know how that goes. Heading to a cold camp (-28C) camp coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.
    -
    Greek Proverb

• + New Posts