sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie

Hanging your tarp

I live in Florida and state parks are really cracking down on how you attach anything to a tree. Can't even tie a dog leash to a tree. I normally hang my tarp the way Derick illustrates here http://theultimatehang.com/wp-conten...eline-tarp.gif. Well the last 2 times I camped (2 different parks) the rangers gave me a warning about my zing it on the trees. What is everyone else doing to accommodate the rangers. I use 1" stamp on the trees and they are happy with that. Thanks Mark.

It's almost illegal to be outside in America anymore. Guess it time to move to Nepal.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If they are worried about Zing-it from tarps - maybe placing three or four sticks between the rope and bark will work enough to get them off your back. I don't see the problem with a Tarp because the stress against the tree is not that great; compared to the hammock straps. However, they may not see it the same way and the sticks will take any stress versus the bark. Small compromise to keep hanging; if it works.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've never experiences an issue like this before in our area. I knew that Jaxx Drinkwater reported a week or so back that Florida required two inch straps now. My straps that came on my Warbonnet Ridgerunner are (I believe) 1" so I wonder if you can get by by carrying some kind of a backer pad to accommodate the rule?

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I'm still using the 1 inch straps with no problems so far except for the tarp suspension. Never thought about using sticks to take the pressure of the tree. I will try that next time. Thanks for the idea.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    1 to 2 inch straps spread the load on the bark. Sticks don't do it unless they are thick enough not to bend which is a lot thicker than most folks think. Then you still need more than 4. Zing-it and similar lines are so thin that the load per unit area is high. That is the basic issue. Compressing the bark too much kills the tree by compressing the layer under the bark that is the only living wood in the tree.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I've never experiences an issue like this before in our area. I knew that Jaxx Drinkwater reported a week or so back that Florida required two inch straps now. My straps that came on my Warbonnet Ridgerunner are (I believe) 1" so I wonder if you can get by by carrying some kind of a backer pad to accommodate the rule?
    According to Florida State Park Regulations, the 1" wide straps are the minimum requirement.
    As far as tarp ridgeline goes, I've been using my CRL from Dutch and never been bothered or questioned.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Yep...that was the "deal" we made to hang in state parks. Both the hammock suspension and also the tarps have to be supported from at least a 1" strap. I think when it first started they were requiring a 2" strap on the hammock suspension.

Last time I hung I just had my hammock and tarp connected to the tree with a single set of straps. It took a little extra fiddling and the tarp ended up hanging way higher than optimum but it kept the tree-police off my back.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Yep...that was the "deal" we made to hang in state parks. Both the hammock suspension and also the tarps have to be supported from at least a 1" strap. I think when it first started they were requiring a 2" strap on the hammock suspension.

Last time I hung I just had my hammock and tarp connected to the tree with a single set of straps. It took a little extra fiddling and the tarp ended up hanging way higher than optimum but it kept the tree-police off my back.
    Wow...so the tarp has to be attached to straps as well, huh?
    Interesting, thanks.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Hanging your tarp

I'll use slackline tree protectors if I'm hanging in public places like the nearby park. That only applies to the hammock but can be used for the tarp, I guess as more for show.

IMG_1460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast