Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing

Looking for direction in Montana

I'm looking for any help on a 4-7 day camping trip in northwest Montana. I've never been farther north than Alzada. looking at a map Columbia falls looks like a start. But I'm open to any help! Maybe get the old canoe out if possible. But definitely some hiking.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    When I was a pup, we skied through the Middle Fork of the Flathead (Teton Ski Area to where the Middle Fork meets Hwy 2. And in another year the South Fork of the Flathead from Whitetail Ranch (Ovando) to where ever the S. Fork road was plowed for logging, either Spotted Bear, Betty Creek, or Coram just simply can't remember anymore? I do remember skiing past the bald mountains that are winter range north of Spotted Bear though. Glacier NP has possibilities. But with ALL choices, choose prudently for avalanche conditions. Actually had an avalanche come down between two of the five man party on Mt Forester on the Middle Fork, scary stretch.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    When are you planning on going? Is this for winter camping or are you planning for next summer?

My personal recommendation is anywhere around Glacier NP...it is stunning with lots of hiking and so picturesque. Just remember to take bear spray.

Hammock
    ENO/Exped. Asym Zip.
    Tarp
    Asym. Zip Fly
    Insulation
    Costco Down UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    I don't live there but up by the border near lake koocanusa is one of my favorite places on earth. It's gorgeous and I would be willing to bet you could find a few trails up there!

likewise looking forward to a summer trip to montana. 5 nights out. any ideas about the beartooths or other locations would be appreciated. i have been to GNP several times but not recently. is hammocking in the park a viable idea?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I worked for 13 seasons in the Absaroka-Beartooths. Plenty of places to hang in the Absarokas. Much less places to hang in the Beartooths since it is the largest contiguous area above 10,000 in the lower 48, i.e. largely alpine plateaus with lots of lake, aka mosquito habitat. Having said that, you can find places to hang if you plan accordingly by doing the appropriate beta for your trip. look at google earth or similar application when deciding on where you will nest for the night.

All in all the best "direction" I can give folks for Montana is south, north, east, or west. Just keep moving until you cross the state line.

Signed,
    Curmudgeon.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 03-05-2017 at 17:29.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    One great hike is the Lake Fork Trail up to Keyser Brown Lake. Instead of going to Keyser Brown, there's a trail that breaks off to the southwest to Black Canyon Lake and the Beartooth Glacier.
    The trek to Keyser Brown is well traveled. Black Canyon is another story as it's an up hill rock climb to the lake. Access is determined by the trail conditions heading up there. Sometimes the east side works (as in is passable), sometimes the west side. Rock falls can close one or the other or both. It's also some bush whacking on the way up.
    I haven't been there recently, but will be getting up there sometime this year. There were only a couple of tent sites, but no shortage of incredible hammock sites. Have packed large cutthroat trout in ice and hiked out with them in August. Nights can be cold. You can also get trapped up there for a day or two if it rains. The boulders have a lot of moss on them and if it's wet, it's very slippery. Easy to fall into the deep gaps between the boulders.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts