Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Thanks for that little diddy Soundmanob, that pretty much wraps it up. HYOH, if you cook under the tarp in the right place and at the right time you just might see a critter, that maybe could hurt you, and maybe not...just be prepared and think about what you are doing.

Isn't being out in the woods fun?

Now maybe we should start another thread so we can talk about critter confrontations and maybe stay on topic easier, because the discussion had definetely gotten good IMHO.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    I feel people take odor isolation to ridiculous extremes. It's just not a feasible concept with bears and their amazing noses. Be smart about it but also realize there is NOTHING practical you can do to totally eliminate interesting odors from your camp. Site selection and attitude are much more important IMHO. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though :-) I don't worry about bears much despite the fact that they frequent the majority of my haunts.

Never go out with out my air horn though. Sends any/all critters running for the hills >
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    Shug you hit the nail on the head. Awareness is key.
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    I would think that the issue would be smells that are attaching to the tarp and possibly the hammock. I know that boiling water is going to be pretty safe, but eating in the hammock and risking spilling food (except pop-tart crumbs in Minnesota ) on your clothes or sleeping materials would be enough to attract bears. It's not the food, but the smells. Cooking near your tent/sleeping area can be enough, even if the food is later put away, to attract them.

I think of it like this: I've returned from trips and been lackadaisical with putting things up the day I returned. I'll shower, have a nice dinner, etc. then attend to my gear. After I've been away from camp, my gear, especially my clothes REEK of smoke from campfires. I imagine that if that smoke smell was a food smell, the bears would be able to find me miles away.

I don't know how long odors will stay in sil, or no-see-um netting, but I think it would be good to take a freshly washed hammock if I were to travel in bear country.
    When my wife fries chicken cutlets or I fry fish in the house, the house smells of it for a couple day even with the windows open. That being said i have had good luck letting my dogs roll around with my gear in my man cave (basement ) in hopes that when I'm out without the dogs the bears will still smell pooch and pick an easier target.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122