Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy CRACK!!!!.......thud

After a day that started at 4 AM, I crawled into my hammock around 10 PM for some much-needed sleep, and had just gotten everything tucked in.

I heard a noise behind me much like a pistol shot, and suddenly I was laying on the ground. Ardent hammock innovator that I am, my first act after making sure that all my limbs still worked was to reach over my head and pull the suspension line in to see what had failed. I reeled in an intact D-Ring. Then I got up, hauled the cot out of the car, and went back to bed.

I was using 1" tie down straps from Harbor Freight, and had added a D-Ring to one end as a buffer between the Amsteel Blue suspension lines and the straps. I had looped the strap through the ring and created a sewn eye. In daylight, it was obvious that the stitching failed, probably through choice of the wrong thread.

What thread would be best for sewing eyes in polyester strapping?

As an alternative, would a bowline serve just as well to retain the D-Ring?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I would be afraid using of the 1" tie-down straps I got at Harbor Freight. They're so thin, I can see through them. Obviously, not strong enough when the safety of my spine is concerned. Maybe you got a different kind, though.

Having said that, I use Gutermann's polyester thread and do a combination of stitch patterns. Each stitch pattern holds/affects strength differently.

I used to sew mine and my wife's climbing harnesses from our days of vertical caving back in the 70s, so I'm very cautious with my sewing of gear. A hundred feet in the air is different from one or two feet in the air!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Just out of curiosity, what did you use on the first set?

Gutermann polyester thread should be good. I believe 40 weight is normal. If you're concerned about it breaking again you could go up to 50 or 70 weight. (couldn't find the reference I was looking for so I could be wrong on the weights)

Images
    I have been using some HF ratchet strap for several years, 1" rated at 1500 lbs I think. Keep meaning to replace it, but still holding so far. Don't know if the strap you are using is the same as that.

I would feel OK using a knot instead, bowline or whatever holds good with webbing. Or what about a figure 8 loop? ( not up on webbing knots as much as rope knots/lashing)

That knot may de-rate the webbing/rope some. Then again, some knots are just not going to pull loose, the webbing will have to break.

I have bowlines tied into my original stock Claytor webbing that have been in use for years now. But, this webbing seems a bit more rope like than webbing like to me, but they call it webbing.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-07-2012 at 19:24.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If the stitching failed something was wrong. Thread has a shelf life and how you store it can make a difference. If this was old thread then it had degraded.

If you used cotton or cotton blend thread then the problem could have been the polyester straps cut the cotton thread. Use only 100% polyester thread of high quality. Cheap thread is just that.

It could be that your sewing machine did not function properly and the stitching was not a good as should have been.

You could have used too long a stitch length and ended up with weak stitches.

I have used regular sewing thread for all my loops and have not had one fail. Using too thick a thread can actually make problems worse if you machine is not compatible with that weight. The thread can be weakened and abraded by passing through to small a needle eye. The mechanics of the machine can chaff the thread if it is too heavy. Don't exceed the capacity of your equipment.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I had this happen on two different loops on one night. Makes a loud pop for sure. Just tied a loop knot in the strap and used it to string every thing back up. They were from some one on the forum can't remember who I got them from.

Jason

I would skip the d ring and thread all together...

Fairly easy to just run the strap around the tree and through its own loop, then attach the cord to it with a double sheet bend. Run the line through the ring or carbiner on your hammock then back up to itself and tie a taught line hitch for adjustbility. This will give you less weight, more security, adjustibility and the knots are fairly easy to tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I would be afraid using of the 1" tie-down straps I got at Harbor Freight. They're so thin, I can see through them. Obviously, not strong enough when the safety of my spine is concerned. Maybe you got a different kind, though..
    I'm not concerned about the straps themselves, because there are no signs of stress around the stitches. The thread just sheared off.

I've used these particular straps numerous times before, with no problem. That having been said, this was the longest span between trees that I'd ever attempted, which means that the support lines were much flatter, with much more stress than on previous hangs.

For a first cut, I think that I'll just follow the KISS principle and tie a good, solid bowline. It's not as pretty as a sewn loop, but it's called stealth camping, not show and tell. (I wish that I'd though of tying a knot immediately after the break, but like I said, it had been a LONG day.)

One thing is certain. From now on, my testing will be done with the support lines much flatter than I will ever tie them in practice, and with soft padding underneath.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Paul sells good reliable Tree Straps at Arrowhead Equipment. I got two 6 foot straps sewed in his bomb proof way for 7 bucks plus shipping. I think it came to 11 bucks all together.
    But how much are the HF straps?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    I would skip the d ring and thread all together...

Fairly easy to just run the strap around the tree and through its own loop, then attach the cord to it with a double sheet bend. Run the line through the ring or carbiner on your hammock then back up to itself and tie a taught line hitch for adjustbility. This will give you less weight, more security, adjustibility and the knots are fairly easy to tie.
    At my age, I prefer not to (un)tie any more knots than I have to. Between the carpal tunnel and the budding arthritis, any knot can be a challenge. By using the metal ring, one end of the suspension line is always fixed to the hammock ring (a carabiner). I run the line through the ring, back through the carabiner, make a short loop about six inches long and use that loop to tie a clove hitch. Any remaining line is coiled and hung on the carabiner. In the morning, the first half of the clove hitch unties easily because it has never seen any strain, and the last half comes undone with a yank on the free end of the line.

Weight is no barrier, because I no longer backpack. Ironically, I sleep in a hammock because it's easier on my back than a pad on the ground or even a cot.

I USUALLY sleep better in my hammock than in my own bed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast