Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-kel...cxwaAiGJ8P8HAQ

Go with the Noah's 16'. Yes, they're kind of heavy but built like a tank and have a ton of tieouts plus a cat-cut to help with wind flapping. I think you're going to spend a lot of time/money to maybe shave a pound or two off of a group use item. You can save some money/weight on the poles too. Is this a base camp or traveling trip? Maybe you can lash a pair of canoe or kayak paddles together for the end poles instead of dragging dedicated poles.
    Absolutely agree with the Noah's 16. Get one, you'll be glad you did.

We've done trips to the BWCA and northern Wisconsin in some really crummy weather and the Noah's tarps are great.

Not sure how a DIY tarp will catch less wind, maybe I too am missing something.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    That will need to be one HUGE hex tarp!

If it is Arctic conditions, I'd be in a big tent (canvas perhaps?), not an open-ended hex. In those conditions, you'll get cold and wet in a hex tarp.

Am I missing something?
    Though I am all about the Noah's tarp, given the choice I'm with you on a nice big canvas tent with a wood stove, comfy cot, big fluffy sleeping bag and a good book. That's my idea of tackling bad weather in the arctic.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Wilderness Logics Wild River tarp. Marty designed that tarp for me to use on whitewater rafting trips with 6-8 people. 12X15. Packs small and light. Much better design that a Noah. Easy to pitch taut with no floppy edges like a Noah. With 8 people I also brought along my WL Big Daddy tarp. Big Daddy over the kitchen, with the Wild River as the group hang out spot.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

If you weren't that many I'd say the MLD Trailstar. It's bomb proof and provides lot of pitching options. Can handle storms easily. Three people can easily squeese in.

For eight people it's not big enough but the pattern is quite easy and I'm sure it can be sewn larger.

http://sectionhiker.com/mountain-lau...-dave-lintern/

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    I will mirror cataraft girl with my comments mostly. The wilderness logics tarps that we had made for our BWCA trips have been holding up for years in some unbelievable conditions. Their material selection, and attention to every detail is phenomenal. This same tarp was subjected to 12+ hours of abuse during near blowdown conditions, in which we couldn't get back to our campsite after going for a long day-excursion for fishing.

The fact is, it was wrecked by not being maintained during that weather. We did; however, learn that this particular tarp didn't appear to have a singular failure/stress point that started off a chain reaction in its self destruction. It must have blown out more than half of the guy-outs simultaneously due to what could only have been a massive gust. We found the tarp's material was still in very good condition with the exception of the 7 or 8 guy out points - it was wrapped up in a group of birch trees and we were still able to duct tape the frayed edges and use the tarp with rocks put in the fabric and tied off around them.

We eventually were able to have the tarp cut down by about 6" on all sides and re-sewn and put back to use by a local seamstress.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12