DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    gizmos and gadgets lost their appeal for me when i realized i'd never find them in the duff. im a champion looser of things, can't loose knots and how to tie them though. the becket dropped me several times and i created the j-bend and haven't looked back. Its like your channel locks, sure you got a truckbed full of tools, but the channel locks will probably take care of it so you carry them in your pocket.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    2t's 11 foot
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    poly biner beckett
    Images
    Ha! I'm a vise grip guy.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    played with the j-bend a while back.. hence my starting this thread. I got away from it, and have been using a becket in an atypical fashion (story for another thread).

Recently tried the j-bend again and while I like its' simplicity, I have yet to get the muscle memory for putting it in the right spot on the strap.. once I tighten the MSH, what I thought was going to be the sweet spot is now about four inches farther down the strap. Adjustments aren't that easy with the J-Bend.

I'm going to stick with if for a while though...
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Hammock
    2t's 11 foot
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    poly biner beckett
    Images
    That's why I like the x bend. Where you pinch the CL with the starp is exactly where it stays. Even the becket slides a little to tighten. Also stupid simple to undo.

Used the J-bend to my Amsteel whoopies last night. Worked great! I have a key-ring in the loop of my amsteel whoopie so I dont accidentally lose the loop. I tied the j-bend with my strap. Realized I needed a little adjustment. Made the adjustment with the whoopie then simply pulled the key ring toward the tree, this allowed the amsteel to slip and re-center in the new length loop of the whoopie. The key ring also made popping the j-bend apart very easy.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    Used the J-bend to my Amsteel whoopies last night. Worked great! I have a key-ring in the loop of my amsteel whoopie so I dont accidentally lose the loop. I tied the j-bend with my strap. Realized I needed a little adjustment. Made the adjustment with the whoopie then simply pulled the key ring toward the tree, this allowed the amsteel to slip and re-center in the new length loop of the whoopie. The key ring also made popping the j-bend apart very easy.
    pictures!! i wanna watch your system operate, so maybe a video even!! neat, thanks for carrying my name with you. ALL OF YOU J-Benders, thank you, teach ya kids!! lol
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    SLD 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Kevlar/J-Bend
    Used the J-Bend with Kevlar/Amsteel on my last outing. Really like this knot but noticed it taking more and more time to break camp because the MSH part of the knot just didn't want to come apart. My response was to not pull the CL so tightly. Bad idea, on night 8, the hammock fell to the ground in the middle of the night.

Your solution is interesting Woodscavenger. For now, I have switched to Kevlar 3.3, 12 ft straps + J-Bend.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Used the J-Bend with Kevlar/Amsteel on my last outing. Really like this knot but noticed it taking more and more time to break camp because the MSH part of the knot just didn't want to come apart. My response was to not pull the CL so tightly. Bad idea, on night 8, the hammock fell to the ground in the middle of the night.

Your solution is interesting Woodscavenger. For now, I have switched to Kevlar 3.3, 12 ft straps + J-Bend.
    I am amazed- though I absolutely believe it- whenever I read of various knots dumping folks on the ground. Because I usually have a hard time picturing how the knot could fail. I know it can, it's just hard for me to picture it. I need to know it can not happen unless something breaks, for me to be able to relax and be confident.

You say "My response was to not pull the CL so tightly". So the CL goes through the loop opening formed in the MSH, and then another strap loop from the excess strap is placed through the loop, right?. So even if you didn't pull the CL as tight a possible, wouldn't it quickly tighten up to the max once your weight was added to the hammock?

And whether not pulling the CL so tightly, or just doing it the regular way, all of the the pulling force is is along the length and direction of the hammock. But the strap that is serving sort of like a faux toggle is running 90* to the axis of the hammock. So the pulling force is going to have to pull that length of doubled up(looped/slipped) webbing through the tight hole formed by the MSH. That just seems so difficult or unlikely to me. Maybe because I am using normal grippy polyester or Polypro webbing, but you were using something more slippery? I guess if a webbing that is slippery enough is used it could be pulled ( obviously it can) through the tightened hole of the MSH(the opening that normally holds the toggle in a WS set up).

I keep thinking of the slipped 1/2 hitches that I have been using on and off for 12 years, even at my max weight of 226 lbs. That is the same thing, the strap that serves as a "toggle"(sort of) runs at 90* to the direction of pull. Even if I am using a slippery CL ( usually I am using the webbing that came with my Claytor for both the loop at the hammock end and the slipped 1/2 hitch that runs through that loop), I just don't see how that slippery CL is going to pull that webbing through. ( This is all hard to put into words, so like this link: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html ) In that link, the bow line knot is similar in function to a CL. So just picture a CL of slippery cordage in place of that webbing bow line if preferred.

How can that CL pull out of that loop formed by the slipped 1/2 hitch with out cutting the webbing? I don't see how it can happen.

And indeed, I don't think I have ever seen it slip even 1/4", whether with all webbing or with the slippery CL on my 90* hammock. I normally use a back up knot as shown in the link,which should stop any slip, if there ever was one. But I have not been using those in recent experiments, so that I can tell if there is any slipping going on after I tighten as much as I can before getting in. And I will go back to that back up stop knot again in actual use, but so far no slippage with out it. And it always unties about the easiest of anything I use, or at least as easy. I've never had a problem un tying it. But, maybe that is because of the type of webbing I am using?

Hammock
    SLD 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Kevlar/J-Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I am amazed- though I absolutely believe it- whenever I read of various knots dumping folks on the ground. Because I usually have a hard time picturing how the knot could fail. I know it can, it's just hard for me to picture it. I need to know it can not happen unless something breaks, for me to be able to relax and be confident.

You say "My response was to not pull the CL so tightly". So the CL goes through the loop opening formed in the MSH, and then another strap loop from the excess strap is placed through the loop, right?. So even if you didn't pull the CL as tight a possible, wouldn't it quickly tighten up to the max once your weight was added to the hammock?

And whether not pulling the CL so tightly, or just doing it the regular way, all of the the pulling force is is along the length and direction of the hammock. But the strap that is serving sort of like a faux toggle is running 90* to the axis of the hammock. So the pulling force is going to have to pull that length of doubled up(looped/slipped) webbing through the tight hole formed by the MSH. That just seems so difficult or unlikely to me. Maybe because I am using normal grippy polyester or Polypro webbing, but you were using something more slippery? I guess if a webbing that is slippery enough is used it could be pulled ( obviously it can) through the tightened hole of the MSH(the opening that normally holds the toggle in a WS set up).

I keep thinking of the slipped 1/2 hitches that I have been using on and off for 12 years, even at my max weight of 226 lbs. That is the same thing, the strap that serves as a "toggle"(sort of) runs at 90* to the direction of pull. Even if I am using a slippery CL ( usually I am using the webbing that came with my Claytor for both the loop at the hammock end and the slipped 1/2 hitch that runs through that loop), I just don't see how that slippery CL is going to pull that webbing through. ( This is all hard to put into words, so like this link: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html ) In that link, the bow line knot is similar in function to a CL. So just picture a CL of slippery cordage in place of that webbing bow line if preferred.

How can that CL pull out of that loop formed by the slipped 1/2 hitch with out cutting the webbing? I don't see how it can happen.

And indeed, I don't think I have ever seen it slip even 1/4", whether with all webbing or with the slippery CL on my 90* hammock. I normally use a back up knot as shown in the link,which should stop any slip, if there ever was one. But I have not been using those in recent experiments, so that I can tell if there is any slipping going on after I tighten as much as I can before getting in. And I will go back to that back up stop knot again in actual use, but so far no slippage with out it. And it always unties about the easiest of anything I use, or at least as easy. I've never had a problem un tying it. But, maybe that is because of the type of webbing I am using?
    Your point is well taken. Truth be told, I'm not sure what exactly happened. Believe my mistake was becoming too complacent and failure to use a backup knot.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Your point is well taken. Truth be told, I'm not sure what exactly happened. Believe my mistake was becoming too complacent and failure to use a backup knot.
    if all other steps were properly followed, i believe you missed the "....tighten the MSH down on the CL real good..." line in the video, or at least that part of the process. otherwise, like BillyBob58 said, i just dont see it happening. Your undertanding, BillyBob58, is accurate. the MSH gets hung on the doubled up loopy that you stick in the CL. can't be overcome with weight on it if properly dressed. like every knot thats ever slipped, if it ain't right it ain't right!!
    J. Garcia

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast