Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

lash it suspension

I know someone here has a good explanation for this but it didn't come up in my search. in my quest to get lighter due to the fact that I tote some of my about to be 10 yr old grandsons gear I have been toying with going even lighter than 7/64 amsteel for suspensions. since the load rating is listed from 500 to 650 pounds and 25 feet weighs less than an ounce I know there must be something I am missing here, it seems it would hold my 160 pound frame but I am not an original thinker so I know I am not the first to ponder this.

what say you.

creek

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    People generally go for a 5-1 or 10-1 ratio of weight to strength. So at 160 lbs., you would need at least 800 lbs. of breaking strength. I know your grandson is dear to you, and you wouldn't want to experiment with his health.

One of the first things the crazies do is start talking about using Zing-It 1.75 mm or 2.2 mm for hammock suspensions - we rarely hear any more!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    People generally go for a 5-1 or 10-1 ratio of weight to strength. So at 160 lbs., you would need at least 800 lbs. of breaking strength. I know your grandson is dear to you, and you wouldn't want to experiment with his health.

One of the first things the crazies do is start talking about using Zing-It 1.75 mm or 2.2 mm for hammock suspensions - we rarely hear any more!
    I wouldn't even consider using it on his rig until I had torture tested it under my weight.

been a long time since I was called crazy, I feel young again all of a sudden.

I am not arguing and will take your word for it but just out of curiosity where does that weight ratio come from?? also I searched for shear force but came up with nothing that I had the knowledge to translate to a hammock suspension, a link to something like that would be a good future tool to folks as well I think.

thanks Surfer.

creek

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've used Dynaglide for whoopie slings. At 160 pounds I don't think you will run in to any problems using it.

Hammock
    10' 52'' Bias WWM
    Tarp
    HG CF Camo 4 door
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    DG Whoopie/ Kevlar
    Images
    Look into dynaglide woopies. They are what I use and I weigh 180 lbs. Here is a link to one made by arrowhead equipment. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ie_Sling_.html
    A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Most folks feel that suspension components should be rated to at least 1000 pounds. A hammock suspension is taking more weight than you might think. Consider when you sit down, toss and turn at night and so on. Your suspension can be subjected to dynamic loads...you are not just a constant steady dead weight pulling down on a line. Your body weight is distributed over a large area within the hammock, but all of your weight is on the suspension. And both the math and testing have shown that you have actually have more than your body weight on the suspension just by changing the angle of the suspension running from the hammock to the trees. Play around with this for a bit just adjusting the angle and look at the load output: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ and you will see what we are all talking about.

Now also consider that from 7/64 amsteel down to dynaglide you will save about 50%...less than an ounce, but going down to lash it from dynaglide you will save less than 20%...way way less than an ounce. Most folks don't see that as a tangible gain for the potential problems that it could bring. How much fun is it to hike with a broken tail bone? Not much.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Hammock Hang Calculator will give you a general idea of the forces at hand.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Like many things in hammocking, the rule of thumb comes from best practice, not any hard and fast rule. Some people are perfectly comfortable using a 2 mm Dynaglide suspension at 900 lbs. breaking strength. That's the lightest hammock suspension you can buy (and only one vendor sells it, Arrowhead, to my knowledge. They recommend you don't exceed 225 lbs.).

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...Dynaglide.html

Dutch also sells Dynaglide, but specifies that he's done breakage testing to 900 lbs, which doesn't meet the minimum standards for hammock suspensions.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-dynaglide.html

The weight savings to be gained by using Dynaglide over 7/64 Amsteel is so minimal that most people don't bother. However, if you want to live on the edge, then go for it. I have one hammock with a Dynaglide ridgeline, but really have no interest in exploring it as a suspension. There's not enough weight savings to justify it, in my opinion.

There are people who live on the cutting edge and use Dynaglide or lighter suspensions (Sgt. Rock comes to mind) and use short hammocks and minimalist tarps to reduce weight. However, it's never been an area that holds my attention. I enjoy being dry and comfortable too much!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie sling
    Well, I run a Dynaglide suspension and ridgeline on my Warbonnet Blackbird and here are some thoughts:

I'm about 20# heavier now than when I installed it but at about 195# I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in wear nor sag of the rope. It handles my weight just fine under dynamic loads and keeps on ticking.

It was much harder to make my whoopie slings because of the small diameter and general physical characteristics of the rope...but if you buy them as whoopies that is not really an issue

The rope is...waxy sort of and somewhat stiff. It really is very small...all of that combined makes it noticeably harder to deal with during set up and adjustment then the Amsteel on my other hammocks, that alone has made me consider switching back. I've had my Dynaglides jump off my dutch clips several times, something that never happened with the Amsteel.

It does feel awesome to show off how tiny my suspension is to folks.

Every ounce counts, but I'll try and update you after my 50 miler next week on the AT. I wouldn't really want to go much smaller than the Dynaglide, it would slice into your hands when trying to adjust it.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you don't want the funky color's of dynaglide, you can get 5/64" HTS 75 (also made by NER) in grey from West Marine: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-en...ne--P012357679

I've also used 2mm Ocean 3000 cord from FSE Robline before.

FWIW I have no problem splicing, or using my dynaglide whoopies. I've used both dynaglide and 7/64 Amsteel.

I use it more for bulk saving's, over weight savings.

Thanks all for your good info, it is much appreciated.
    since I have already broken my back I take special note of PGibson's comments but since I carry gear for up to three people at times I have started looking at all options for weight savings, packs, tarps, food, pretty much everything. I have learned the hard way ounces equal pounds. I have some dynaglide I bought for ridgeline and I didn't find it to hard to work with so I think I will build some whoopies with it and put a mattress under my hammock in the house and torture test it there. I know it sounds ridiculous to some to look so hard for weight savings but between spending most of my life at hard labor and an insane fantasy as a young man of making a living in rodeo + several hellasious wrecks you can get an idea of what kind of shape my skeleton is in. I want to be in the woods with my grandkids as long as possible and since I didn't take care of my body as a young man I am having to double down as an old man.

Many Thanks.

creek.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast