Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I put my tail pipes on tonight and drilled a 1/4 " hole and put bolts at each of the joints. 6 all together. That took alot of the flex out but not enough for a tarp yet.

The risers are 24" after the 45*, I also drilled a few more holes to have different heights.

I am gonna try a cable across the top pulled taunt tomorrow night.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Randy. On the main cross-member, between the feet of the stand, does it flex or bow when you get in. My theory here is that it does bow and allows it to pull the uprights in. Just a theory here...add a center support under the main tube/pipe on the floor to minimize flex. A chunk of 2x4 or a book or two for now, something reasonably solid, to see if that helps. Shimming up the center should decrease the amount of deflection your getting on the center tube?? just a thought.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Randy. On the main cross-member, between the feet of the stand, does it flex or bow when you get in. My theory here is that it does bow and allows it to pull the uprights in. Just a theory here...add a center support under the main tube/pipe on the floor to minimize flex. A chunk of 2x4 or a book or two for now, something reasonably solid, to see if that helps. Shimming up the center should decrease the amount of deflection your getting on the center tube?? just a thought.
    Actually, it's not really flexing,,,,, at the joints, the pieces of pipe that insert into the other, have alot of slack, when I put one bolt at each joint that helped,,,, Tonight I am gong to put a second bolt in at each joint.
    At a last resort, I am gonna weld it. But then I would have to drag it with the tractor when I want to move it....

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If you do weld it. there is a wheel kit that some folks put on theirs. Two wheels on one end, pick up opposite end and wheel it around
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    When I was messing with this I found this to be the case. The footprint impression on good grass was plainly visible suggesting the impression of the main tube flexed enough to earth to cause the imprint, unloaded it should never touch the earth as it rests an inch or two above being on top of the cross pieces. Even after shimming it with blocks and uprights back guyed I still got enough flex in the uprights to cause a de-tensioned (is that a word?) tarp, Thus the cross brace between the tips of the uprights.

I used a thick-walled 1" pipe cut into three pieces joined with a peg in the hole type arrangement to allow making it back into a solid cross piece. Broken down it all fits inside the different tubes.

This whole thing was made mostly for car camping with a purpose built rack on a little trailer I pull behind my Del Sol. Have I used it? ..Nope. But Had a big time getting it the way I wanted it.

Tom Morgan

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    You know what...I could probably get these extensions made fairly inexpensively if someone would want a set. The same friend of mine who cuts the Dutch clips is a welder and overall creative dude who loves doing stuff like this.I'll check it out with him.

I guess the caveat is the pipe diameter size of the existing stand. It would have to be known to properly make extensions.
    Maybe I need to hook up with you and your friend when I get down to Lancaster and have a set made for my stand...

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    Maybe I need to hook up with you and your friend when I get down to Lancaster and have a set made for my stand...
    If you are a heavy guy I suggest not using muffler. I am very heavy and electric conduit works well for me.

I have a post on it here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78401

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123