Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm excited about getting him out on the trail. Need to do some research on SE Texas spots though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cool My companion, my watch dog

Quote Originally Posted by BigE409 View Post
    Hey all, do any of y'all camp and/or hike with your dogs? I have a 70 pound pit bull who already kicks me out of my own bed at home and I'm assuming would do the same if I were willing to even try to put him in my hammock and I'm wondering if anyone here has taken their dog with them? If so; what is your set up for your dog? Where do they sleep? What gear do you bring specifically for your dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On the subject of hiking with dogs: I have done a number of day hikes, and three backpacking trips with my 70 pound hound-Pyrenees mix. She has a rough wear harness with removable saddlebags, and she carries her food, her water, her poop bags, and a small padded mat that is rolled up in a stuff sack and gets strapped to the top. She's a little hesitant at first with the pack but then adjusts very quickly and barely knows she has it on. My set up with her is a small piece if tarp on the ground that her pad goes on and then I clip a lockable carabeener to the handle if her leash and then to the spreader bar on the head of my bridge hammock. Weather permitting, I keep my tarp in porch mode so that she can sit on her pad and look out at the world while I sleep. She just hangs out and does that; sometimes dozing, sometimes not. She's very protective of the camp site and is a great comfort to me especially on solo trips. I think her pack weight is about 8 lbs total. It's important to be sure the weight is even on both sides. Check it throughout the day as your pup had food or water so they aren't carrying lopsided.
    One trip, in a really heavy downpour she decided to join me in my hammock cause the water was rushing over the ground below me and she was getting wet? That was fine until we both woke up to go potty and we fell out of the hammock into the mud, tearing my bug net! Ah well, hammocking is for adventures right? [AIMG][/AIMG] Have fun!

I've hiked with my dogs a couple of times, but it really depends on the trail and the presence of other animals, pets or wild.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    When you take a newbie backpacking (either dog or human), know what you need to know and do what you need to do, and you'll all have a great time. If you go solo, you have fewer creatures to be responsible for, so it's easier. Get it right with a companion, and it will be fantastic, as well as safer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've used the DutchWare Gear pup tent (https://dutchwaregear.com/product/pup-tent/) when solo camping in the wilderness, and at group hangs, I bought the bug net room for my YOBO Hive from Dutch (Hive Bug Room | Dutchware (dutchwaregear.com)). I've only used the Hive room with my dog one time, but she seemed to like it just fine.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12