Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie

What's around Memphis?

Little backstory first...

My middle son and I got into backpacking and hanging last year and have had the chance to go out a few times now, but this winter my youngest (12) finally decided he wanted to come along. This is very exciting for me because up until now video games is about all he has wanted to do! He has enjoyed car camping a few times and has enjoyed a few small day hikes I've taken him on. He doesn't want to hang so I've got him set up with a tent for now. Anyways, long story short I want to take him somewhere for his first time that will hook him. I'm looking for an easy short loop or a hike in/out. If it has entertainment at the camp site like fishing or short scenic "day hike" that would be a plus.

I'm thinking of taking him to Sylamour creek in Arkansas (that's where I took my other son for his first)
    I'm also looking into land between the lakes (the north part of the north/south trail)

Any other ideas? Wanting to do this either in a few weeks of the weather cooperates and is warm enough or when I get back home around mid March. It also needs to be within 2-3 hour drive of Memphis.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    WBBB, GT UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3S Yeti, HG Inncub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sylamore Creek would be good first choice. Big Hill Pond is another easy hike. Lake for fishing, boardwalk through swampy area and fire tower that can be climbed.
    "Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations"

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've not heard of big hill pond, I'll look into it.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Tishomingo State Park down in Mississippi is great for car camping and has several miles of really good hiking with some cool spots he would love. They have a primitive camping section as well.

Depending on where in Memphis you live, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama is reachable in 3 hours. Its a wilderness area that allows dispersed camping and is full of waterfalls. There are several trails and trailheads to take.

Arabutla Lake around Hernando may have some spots but I am not sure. I used to mtn bike a lot there but that was years ago.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SimpLight WintHave
    Insulation
    WB WinterLynx
    Suspension
    DyneemPP-CinchBugs
    Images
    North Sylamore Creek Trail in Blanchard Springs park in AR is a good one. It has 3 or 4 4-5 mile sections you can hike easily in half a day. You can hammock your way thru if you want to as well. They have a lake in the park stocked with rainbow trout that are fairly easy to catch. The stream that runs thru the park is pretty low this time of year. But if you want to take him fishing not far from there is Norfork River just up the highway. Dry Run Creek is a kids only creek at the hatchery of Norfork River. Monster trout. Lot of fun. Catch and Release, single, barbless hooks. All of this is 3hrs from memphis

Hammock
    WBRR/BMBH/WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Sil/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ - KAQ Jar
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Another vote for Sipsey Wilderness. You could car camp at Wolfpen Camp and day hike. It is one of my favorite places to hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk