Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 1.6 hyper D 11’
    Tarp
    12x10 diy hottent
    Insulation
    1.6hyperd quilts
    Thanks for the review really help lock �� in my decision to pick one up. Can't make one it seems for that price and not really wanting to spend to much money right now I've already went over my budget this winter so far on toys and tools getting harder and harder to hide it from the boss lady lmao.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    New to the forum so don't hit me to bad on my review. In my quest for a first year hammock camper I was looking for a great tarp for my WBBB XLC. It needed to be somewhat large good price and light weight. Well I found it. The chill gorilla rain fly on Amazon for 49.00 bucks. It comes with a lifetime warranty from what they told me. It has a 142 in ridge line x 108 in hex cut the sides are I beleave are 7 ft at the tapered end. The tarp is made of 210d ripstop and the tarp itself 1lb. The tarp fresh out of the pack has a fish smell that goes away when left out. Chill Gorilla said it is do to there waterproof method were they submerged it in the waterproof liquid vs just spraying it on like most company's. The tarp comes with 6 guy lines and 4 spikes witch are usable but I like my owne. So now to using it. I use a continuous ridge line over my tarp. Setting this tarp 1 ft over my hammock ridge line I have full side coverage even when I'm in it ( I'm a big old boy)and have more that a foot end coverage on each end. I can hang my kelty coyote 80 pack at the end of my hammock and it be covered from down rain and a good bit of side rain. I have been threw freezing rain some light snow and very heavy heavy rain and wind and it has kept me very dry and comfortable. I have had no problems with streching when wet. This tarp stayed tight in all weather including ice and rain and 40 mph wind with very little edge flapping in high wind. All this in a 1lb tarp for 49 bucks from Amazon. I just don't see another tarp with these great features for the price
    Thanks for posting I've been looking at them too! Just what I've been looking for and a good price to boot!

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Good to hear as I likely will score one of these for our guest hammock setup.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    looks like a great value for car camping. Not so much for gram weenies.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    looks like a great value for car camping. Not so much for gram weenies.
    I've backpacked with mine with no problems. Even with the weight of the tarp, my pack is only 22 lbs with 3 days of food and approx. 2.5L of water.

I guess if you're looking to be well below 20lbs pack weight, then it may not be for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tribe Provisions Double
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ Gemini
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    I had been looking for a larger square tarp and found the Chill Gorilla 12' X 12' square tarp with no cat cut sides. It was just what I wanted and it is very nice. They also offer a 10' X 10' square tarp as well as hex cat cut models, and the winter model with doors. It will be interesting to see how long it will last. I am anticipating no problems.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yesterday I bought the 12' Hex in " recon coyote sand" color off of Amazon for $36.99 w/ prime shipping, I'd say that's a good deal yeah? To go with it I got some Line Loc 3's and Zing-it. Next weekend we are going camping with my youngest daughter's Girl Scout troop and I wanted something that's super inexpensive yet durable and after reading everyone's reviews here I think I got just that. I've been using my OMW with the doors tied back or my Snugpak 10×10 in the warmer months, but really have been looking for a mix of the 2. It comes with guy line and tensioners, but I'm gonna splice loops @ the ends of the Zing-it and larks head a small shock cord loop onto the corners of the tarp and attach the line locs to that I think. I haven't decided on a RL yet, but I'm leaning towards using the zing-it for a split RL and maybe getting some stingerz. I've got a continuous one from Dutch that I've been using, but it's a pain to reset the length every time I switch tarps so I'll prolly just use it with the OMW. I'll do a video review for my YT channel and post it here also once I get it rigged to my liking.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have the same tarp. I purchased it before I got my Superfly. Three weeks ago, it kept a friend of mine, dry, despite being rained on for 15 hours that weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    About a month ago I had a car camp expedition planned in which my wife decided to tag along at the last minute. This would be her debut to hammock camping so I let her have my tried and true tarp (the orange blob). But I needed a tarp for myself, fast. I opted for the Chill Gorilla despite the obnoxious logo since it had positive reviews and would arrive just prior to my departure.

I used it right out of the bag, including the plastic tensioners and tieout rope. The first night out an early spring thunderstorm set in. Strong wind and torrential rain pounded the tarp for 6 hours. The tarp took it like a champ and kept me bone dry. I was grateful since sleeping in the back of the Land Cruiser didn't sound like fun. At camp the next night the wind picked up, the temperature dropped below freezing and some form of frozen precipitation fell. The Chill Gorilla tarp held strong and kept me dry. Believe it or not, the rope and tensioners worked great!

When I got home I set the tarp up in garage to let it dry. I noticed some of the fabric was wetted. It took about 5 days in the garage for the wetted fabric discoloration to disappear. The Chill Gorilla tarp also smelled like campfire far longer than any of the other gear I set up to air out.

I'll continue to use and abuse this Amazon special.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Seems Quite Nice Trap if you could create a short clip of it that would be quite awesome as well
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast