Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension

Best Suspension for Arthritic Hands?

I've been looking at a bunch of different suspension systems and trying to figure which would be best for me. I have arthritis so somethings can be difficult/painful, especially in the mornings. My left hand is almost useless in the mornings. My left thumb, index and middle finger are affected and I can't really pinch anything with my left hand. My right hand is much better. Sometimes my right thumb acts up in the mornings, but not nearly as bad.

Now that you got my situation, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on which suspension system would be best for me to use? I'm looking for something with ease of adjustability. Hopefully something that doesn't require a lot of knots. Or one with knots that I don't have to untie.

Weight is not so much a concern, I'm a bicycle tourer and the bike carries the weight, not me.

It seems to me, that some kind of suspension with webbing and rings around the tree and a rope coming from the hammock using a garda hitch would work pretty well. I have not used a garda hitch (not much of knot knowledge here, I have to learn it all) but it seems like that is very easy to adjust, and when weight is removed, easy to disassemble. Is this correct?

Any other ideas?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    After having dealt with knots and rope, webbing suspensions and finally a whoopie sling setup I think that the whoopie sling setup would be the easiest to do / undo. Other than the marlin spike hitch for the toggle, there are no other knots to mess with. I am able to put a marlin spike hitch in the webbing easily with gloves on. The marlin spike comes apart with a simple tug on the toggle. Adjustability is fast, easy and secure. I don't think you will find an easier setup. That's my 2 cents worth anyhow. Cheers.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Arthritic conditions can differ widely among individuals so a single best answer is again not realistic.

That said... I believe webbing answers that utilize cinch buckles or the JRB Triglide are quick, easy, non binding, and tree friendly... Essientially if you can buckle your pants these approaches are no brainers.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    IMO, webbing with cinch buckles and Dutch clips. No knots do deal with (well, maybe a backup simple slip behind the buckle) or small diameter rope to have to 'pinch'.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    IMO, webbing with cinch buckles and Dutch clips. No knots do deal with (well, maybe a backup simple slip behind the buckle) or small diameter rope to have to 'pinch'.
    My vote.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I've had webbing get "hung" in cinch rings and then had to be pinched and pulled out because it was to tight to slip. This was not easy and I don't have any problems with my hands. I've also had slip knots behind rings bind to the point I couldn't easily pull them loose. I'm thinking that with hands that aren't 100% these situations could end up being really frustrating at best. I will grant that maybe there is a webbing out there that no one has had problems with, but if the solution is to find the right combination of equipment so problems will not occur it's pretty certain that Mr. Murphy will rear his ugly head at the worst possible moment. I prefer whoopie slings for simplicity. HYOH. Cheers.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I've never had any pinching issues with Ed's polypro webbing. I also don't hang my hammock so tight that there isn't some 'give' to be able to work it lose from the hammock end if I needed to...

Now, 'ring buckles' are a whole different issue. I've had those be stubborn. I switched back to cinch buckles.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I really (really!) hate to say this, but one of those knotted rope gizmos like Trek Lite sells comes to mind. Or ENO slap straps *shudder*. No knots, buckles, or rings.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Well, depending on your weight this might work. Get two rings like for the ring buckles. Put one ring on each side of the hammock, instead of two like the ring buckle setup. Then pass the webbing through the ring twice and tie a slip knot against the ring. Will also work with two carabiners if you can't find rings. The two wraps hold a lot of your weight, then the slip knot hold the rest. I like it because once you undo the slip knot the suspension just lets go.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I really (really!) hate to say this, but one of those knotted rope gizmos like Trek Lite sells comes to mind. Or ENO slap straps *shudder*. No knots, buckles, or rings.
    the oldgringo has exactly the right idea. Sadly the commercial offerings come up short. The slap straps are made of nylon, which stretches. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ???? On the treklight thing, you want webbing, not rope around the trees.

What I'd do .... take a polypro tree hugger, attach to the tree with a Dutch clip. Have tied to to the end of the tree hugger some length of strong cord where loops are tied on periodically (I've done exactly this with Spyderline, and the alpine butterfly . ) On the hammock end, line with a carbiner attached. To attach hammock, clip carbiner on suitable loop.

I suspect one of the HF cottage industry guys would be happy to make something like that for you. Or I could.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast