Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    The system I use utilises 18mm flat tubular webbing throughout and quick release knots for the morning.

There's a link in this thread with a downlaodable PDF which explains how I do it if you're interested.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13099
    Last edited by Shewie; 01-11-2010 at 02:50.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Just last night I hung with some whoopie slings over the loop in a strapworks tree hugger...two sticks to keep them together- no knots no metal no nothin'- (well, there was a half hitch at the tree end, but there didn't have to be if I had used the strap thru loop tecnique, but I had to wrap the tree, otherwise it was too long)
    very simple- very adjustable...
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    The system I use utilises 18mm webbing throughout and quick release knots for the morning.

There's a link in this thread with a downlaodable PDF which explains how I do it if you're interested.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13099
    I like this. Seems like setup would take a little longer but the quick release knot would be faster to take down. Thanks for posting!

How about the speer 4 wrap with only webbing.

Also a 4 wrap to a set of rings locked in with a half hitch is easy to release.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    the oldgringo has exactly the right idea. Sadly the commercial offerings come up short. The slap straps are made of nylon, which stretches. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ???? On the treklight thing, you want webbing, not rope around the trees.

What I'd do .... take a polypro tree hugger, attach to the tree with a Dutch clip. Have tied to to the end of the tree hugger some length of strong cord where loops are tied on periodically (I've done exactly this with Spyderline, and the alpine butterfly . ) On the hammock end, line with a carbiner attached. To attach hammock, clip carbiner on suitable loop.

I suspect one of the HF cottage industry guys would be happy to make something like that for you. Or I could.

Grizz
    That is a sweet website for knots! Thanks for the link. I hear the angle all the time about how straps are better for trees but how do ropes hurt trees? I use them in my yard for quick hanging just curious what kind of damage I might be doin. I do have some amsteel blue comin to make myself whoopie slings and plan on using something other than rope.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I'm siding with a version of Grizz's alpine butterfly suspension. When I first started out on this hanging thing, my SB Pro came with cord doubled on itself with figure 8's tied in to it every 6 inches. This doesn't give you the infinite positions that other suspension methods do but it's supremely simple and it's as easy as hooking in to a loop. This is the suspension I've been using for the past year and a half until recently when I finally made the decision to change.

I later had the alpine butterfly idea too and tried it out but found the figure 8's are easier to make and chew up less of your suspension cord.

Plus on another note, the cord from the suspension has a lot more uses if you find yourself in an emergency situation vs. webbing. I carry extra 550 if I need it since I now have webbing.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123