Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Fire "update".

I just got home from the area in question.

Um,

I didn't see ANY signs of fire.

We hiked from the swinging bridge to Indian staircase on the Sheltowee, spent the night there, no fire damage there. In rte to the trailhead, passed by the trailhead of Bison Way, no fire damage there. Hiked to lost branch trail, no fire damage there. Could see ALOT of acres from atop the cliffs at & near Indian staircase, not one burnt tree in evidence.

Summation: hiked 5 miles each side of Bison way on the Sheltowee trace, didn't hike the bison way, but were at each end & it's only 3/4 mile long. As far as I could tell, there is no fire damage there.

More good news: a good portion of the trash that was there last trip is gone, and I found that there is indeed water nearby.

I was with 2 tent campers, not a problem on IS, but ( ) I fond about 70 great hammock sites on Osborne bend loop trail, they finally SETTLED on a sloping site. Both complained of having to wake several times to re-position due to sliding down hill, I laughed at them & said "I slept fine", for some unknown reason Matt hit me

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i was shown some areas that were burned (controlled burn by the USFS) in the mt rogers area just a few months ago & you could hardly tell they were burnt.
    on the other hand, linville gorge has been slow to recover from the 2002 fire, & now there's over 3000 more acres more that recently burned.
    that's something i've never studied into, but no doubt there are a number a variables that determine how quickly a land area recovers from a fire.
    it nice to see when land does recover quickly. you know it's benefited from the fire, yet life has sprung back.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's good to know that the area we camped at was not burned. Thanks for the update Doctari.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i was shown some areas that were burned (controlled burn by the USFS) in the mt rogers area just a few months ago & you could hardly tell they were burnt.
    on the other hand, linville gorge has been slow to recover from the 2002 fire, & now there's over 3000 more acres more that recently burned.
    that's something i've never studied into, but no doubt there are a number a variables that determine how quickly a land area recovers from a fire.
    it nice to see when land does recover quickly. you know it's benefited from the fire, yet life has sprung back.
    Yea, I thought that may have been the case as we drove by in rte to trailhead, but walking the area, I saw no: burnt trees, charred plants, etc. All I can think happened is it was a very small fire, that only burnt the underbrush quite some ways from the trails I was on. My partner knew of the fires, he also was looking, he saw nothing. Fires can be a good thing for a forest/woods, esp if they do more a "clean up" job, which is what must be with this fire. Can't see a big fire having gone away almost exactly 30 days later.

And, by talking to Matt (my work/hiking partner) today, he is saving to convert to "The Way" just as soon as he can. I think the night on the side of a hill & a extra 2 mile walk on a ridge w NO flat spots to ground camp, was the final straw
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the update on the area. I was really bummed to hear about the fires in the area because I've been wanting to go out that way for a while now. I'm glad to hear that there was no major fire damage. Anyone want to head there for an overnighter today? Doctari, HC, etc? Beuller? Beuller?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I just got back from vacation so taking a day off ain't gonna fly right now. We could do something on a weekend.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Cool, hope you guys enjoyed the beach. We can try a weekend sometime soon, I have a couple coming up, but they're later in August. I'm off for 8 days starting this Sunday, but taking Short Stuff camping in western NC for a few days then visiting family in Charlotte. I'll catch up with you when I get back from NC, maybe we can plan something with Doctari and any of the other KY area hangers.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Cool, hope you guys enjoyed the beach. We can try a weekend sometime soon, I have a couple coming up, but they're later in August. I'm off for 8 days starting this Sunday, but taking Short Stuff camping in western NC for a few days then visiting family in Charlotte. I'll catch up with you when I get back from NC, maybe we can plan something with Doctari and any of the other KY area hangers.
    where you going in western NC?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    where you going in western NC?
    Brevard/Transylvania Co area. We're staying @ Davidson River Campground near Sliding Rock/Looking Glass Falls. We'll be there Monday some time and staying until Thursday or Friday. If we feel froggy, we may leave a day early and stay in Hot Springs a night. I don't have to be back at work until the following Monday, so no big rush.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    great area. you won't run short on things to do.
    a few things that particularly come to mind (especially w/ kids), the fish hatchery, cradle of forestry in america, & sliding rock.
    all those & more just a short drive from davidson river campground.
    also there are two backpacking shops near the intersection in bevard not far from the camp ground.
    and a great seafood restaurant near that same intersection!
    oh yeah, before you get to the camp ground, you'll see the ranger's head quarters & visitor's center w/ lots of great info.
    i'm not sure about reservations at davidson river camp ground, but i know they can get to full capacity on week ends.
    look forward to hearing about yall's trip. ...tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234