Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQBandit/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Buckle
    Wouldn't miss it for the world. Thanks for remembering my nickname. Still can't figure out how to change it.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Looking like we have a good number of folks coming. And I could use everyone's input.

We took a drive this past Sunday to check out the site and see how it faired through the fire last year. All things considered out spot survived better than expected. But the area all around did not. The fire burned just about right up to the trees that we have hung from. So that leaves us with very little surrounding coverage....the fire burned to the creeks that flow on either side of the Camp spot, along the hills on all sides, up to the trail that we use to hike over to Beaver Creek camp to fish....and all of the beaver creek valley. The burn area starts around the Mores Creek Summit about 10 miles before camp and took most of the area in between....It's pretty stark. So while I would say that yes our group if similar sized to other years could hang in our spot we would not have much option for recreation out of the camp. We would also be more open to sound from the highway.

Here is a few photos of the area.

IMG_5505.JPG.jpeg IMG_5508.JPG.jpeg IMG_5528.JPG.jpeg IMG_5530.JPG.jpeg

So while I was surprised and happy that the main center of the spot survived the more I pondered it the last couple days the more I think we need to pick another spot. I do hope that in time this area will recover I know it will take some time.

So Alternative Locations.

I came across a small campground north out of Sun Valley that looked very nice last summer. But it's a good ways to drive for Boise Folks. I have also considered trying to find a camp ground along the middle Payette out of Crouch. Again a bit further for everyone to go and the campgrounds in that area do not take reservations. I can spend next Sunday driving that area to see what looks good but it's been a while since I have been up there and not sure what will turn up.

So Sun Valley area site benefits: Easy access with only a couple miles of good conditions dirt road. Relatively close to town for supplies or a dinner out. Small steam on the edge of camp ground. Several lakes within day hike range with only a couple more miles of dirt road driving.

Crouch area site benefits: Well maintained roads again some dirt...not sure how far depending on which camp would work best. Again not to far from supplies or meals in Crouch. Close to river and hot springs....I know of one secluded with a couple mile hike each way. A bit closer to Boise.

Could really use any feed back and input and or other suggestions. There is still a lot of snow up high so higher elevation areas are still likely to not be totally dried out come June 1.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Thunderbird, Cameleon, XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, Flight J
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Hi Paul,

My wife and I are planning on attending again this year. Also would be Friday evening before we could arrive. Look forward to the location details.

WW

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Warrior View Post
    Hi Paul,

My wife and I are planning on attending again this year. Also would be Friday evening before we could arrive. Look forward to the location details.

WW
    Hey WW, good to here you and L will be making it again. Any preference of the options above? Is SV area to far to go?
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Hey Paul sorry I haven't posted to this tread until now. I'm open to anywhere you decide to go and I definitely will be attending again this year. I will visit the campground near Twin Falls we discussed on the phone. I will get back with you Saturday afternoon and let you know how it looks.

I'm sure we will find a great spot and have another good hang. I'm looking forward to it.

Keith

Paul,
    I'm also open to wherever you decide. No big surprise that I am partial to a spot with fishing. I agree with KSC that we will have a good hang with great people.
    Twister

Hammock
    Thunderbird, Cameleon, XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, Flight J
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Hey WW, good to here you and L will be making it again. Any preference of the options above? Is SV area to far to go?
    No real preference. Sun Valley would not be to far. (Probably 3 hours) Crouch area would be closer for us but then again further for you all coming from the east. Sounds like there could be a larger gathering this year. Should be a lot of fun.

Thanks again Paul for all your efforts to organize and good luck on picking a site!

I'd prefer Crouch area because it's about 2 hours less drive time for us. We're looking at about 7.5 hours to Sun Valley and 5.5 hours to Crouch.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    KSC is going to check out a CG a bit south of Twin Falls this weekend. All of the searching of the CG's near Crouch have not turned up anything that looks like it could fit the group. Most of the drive to Twin would be Freeway and then good road from there. The group sites are large with lots of packing we just need to see that the trees would do. If they are good I think that may be the best bet for this years hang with the group size.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We have a location!

Just got some photos and a call from KSC who braved the wind and snow from last night to check out a site for the hang.

Where: Porcupine Springs Campground
    https://goo.gl/maps/NDkoaar5cH12

When: June 1-4

I know that this is a bit further for some folks...and a bit less for others. But most of the drive is on Freeway. Take Exit 182 off I84 (Hansen) And head south on Rock Creek Road. We will be reserving Loop A in the Camp Ground. And there is more than enough parking and sties for everyone that would like to join. There is a large over flow parking area as well, most everyone should be able to park at their camp site on the loop. There are a total of 6 sites on loop A with parking for 8 vehicles right at each site. Every site has it's own table. And there is a newer vault toilet for the loop....we should be the first ones using it for the year.

Loop A has a nice large group fire ring area with lots of tables...so no need to pack the folding ones. Here is a photo I found of the fire/group area.

porcupinespringsloopafirering.JPG

KCS sent me these photos and said he would post some additional ones once he gets back to Elko.
    15F2F6B3-.jpg F8656F87-.jpg

So two notes:

With the site selected and being a reservation system for the full loop we will be putting out a bucket to help cover some of that cost.

Secondly we will be bringing some gear with us. I'm going to have some door prize type items that we will be handing out at the Pot Luck and we will have a limited selection of items from the store available at special Hang Prices. Thinking Jarbidge Underquilts, 11 foot Day Tripper Hammocks, Kick Back Hammock Chairs, Gear Roll Up's and a few other items. If you are wanting a specific color set or any other specific items message me and I will add you to the gear list.

PotLuck: Copy and paste these lines and your addition.

NAME -----------------------------------Plan to bring
    PGibson and Family--- Burgers and dogs and Corn Bread + Smores Fixings
    OldTrailDog ---potato salad and bean salad or something similar

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast