Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    About two years ago a friend and i were backpacking in the Red River Gorge, KY. We had hiked for quite a while. It rained all day. Also thought we were in the middle of no where. It was nearly dark as we made camp, so didn't really have much time to explore the area. Couldn't get a fire started. That evening we sat by where our fire was supposed to be, cooked dinner, and ate. The clouds cleared, we sat out sipping some bourbon and smoking cigars, and just talked while watching stars and satellites. I was not nervous at all. Even the parallel eyes in the tree at the edge of the clearing didn't' bother me at all. I just thought how neat it was seeing an owl in those conditions. I was damp, miserable and tired as I fell into my hammock, and assumed I would drift right off to sleep. About an hour later I woke up to the unmistakable sound of footsteps, directly underneath my hammock. I came unglued, sat up and shined my headlamp to see what was invading my space. And it was a house cat. Someone had dropped a stray at the fire road that was only about 200 yds from our campsite. It was far too skittish to help, but comfortable enough to rummage through our camp for food. The same cat revisited me about 3 times that night. I now bring my headphones and just listen to music if I get freaked out. Knowing that it is an irrational fear doesn't make it any less real. The sounds that I don't hear though, don't seem to bother me.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    It is the sounds that you don't hear that are GOING TO GET YOU, BUUUHHAAAHHHH!

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    I never get how anyone could put in earplugs or put on headphones and listen to music when soloing in the woods. I'm way too scared that I'll open my eyes and there's be some dude staring straight at me, who I didn't hear coming. Without my hearing, I'm one sense down and wouldn't dare close my eyes as that would basicly render me incapable of recognising any threat (which there probably isn't anyway, but still)

I'm not afraid of animals (mostly because there's nothing in the woods over here that could really hurt you, the biggest is probably some deer and the fiercest a house cat or hungry rabbit), I'm afraid of other humans.
    My last night solo in the woods nearby I was already quite skittish (as always when solo) but when I heard footsteps near the head end of my hammock (where I couldn't see) I was scared shitless. Took me at least half an hour to calm my nerves enough so that I dared close my eyes, but I can't say I slept well that night.
    Never knew what the footsteps were, most likely just a rabbit or a mouse.

For now I'll stick to my backyard when solo camping.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I once heard what sounded like some little creature growling outside my tent. Grabbed my flashlight and peeked out.. Nothing. A few minutes later, I heard it again. Grabbed my flashlight.. again nothing. When I finally gained sufficient consciousnesses, I realized it was the person camping about 20 feet away farting..
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    Quote Originally Posted by Suede View Post
    I once heard what sounded like some little creature growling outside my tent. Grabbed my flashlight and peeked out.. Nothing. A few minutes later, I heard it again. Grabbed my flashlight.. again nothing. When I finally gained sufficient consciousnesses, I realized it was the person camping about 20 feet away farting..
    That made me spit out my coffee!!! Hysterical!!!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I kinda scare myself.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Sounds a bit corny but I embrace it.
    Instead of being anxious about a noise, I take it in as part of the experience.
    I'll often get up and water the trees after hearing something and look at the stars.
    I'll think "is that the best (noise) you've got" like Lieutenant Dan riding the boat mast during a storm in Forrest Gump.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    you get used to it... although, the only way to get used to it, is to go THROUGH it.

Your brain just needs to get used to what the "normal" noises and motions are in this different situation. Your brain just needs time to learn to filter the normal stuff out, just like it already filters out your normal body odor, but your significant other can easily let you know you need a shower...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    The thing about a hammock which I find reassuring is that unlike a tent, I can immediately see what I am hearing. In a tent, one can only guess. My Dad used to tell a story of being in a scout troop on an extended river trip and one morning they heard something sniffing heavily outside their tent. They were all frightened immensely until one brave soul lifted the tent flap to see a dairy cow. They had camped near a pasture of a dairy herd. In a hammock this would have been avoided.

Tents only give the illusion of safety when in fact, the lack of visual acuity only increases any risk of an encounter. A hammock, particularly in porch mode allows me to hear, see and smell what is going on around me. I like that. I also go through a little routine where I thank the woods gods for giving me such a wonderful place to be and protecting me through the night. Kinda hokie, but thoughts become things.

The biggest risk most of us face is the car ride we take to get to and from our destinations. Yet we are not frozen in fright at the prospect of such. Risk has to do with perception. Change your perception and your fear will be altered and managed.
    Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    I never get how anyone could put in earplugs or put on headphones and listen to music when soloing in the woods. I'm way too scared that I'll open my eyes and there's be some dude staring straight at me, who I didn't hear coming. Without my hearing, I'm one sense down and wouldn't dare close my eyes as that would basicly render me incapable of recognising any threat (which there probably isn't anyway, but still)

I'm not afraid of animals (mostly because there's nothing in the woods over here that could really hurt you, the biggest is probably some deer and the fiercest a house cat or hungry rabbit), I'm afraid of other humans.
    My last night solo in the woods nearby I was already quite skittish (as always when solo) but when I heard footsteps near the head end of my hammock (where I couldn't see) I was scared shitless. Took me at least half an hour to calm my nerves enough so that I dared close my eyes, but I can't say I slept well that night.
    Never knew what the footsteps were, most likely just a rabbit or a mouse.

For now I'll stick to my backyard when solo camping.
    Mostly, go to the woods to escape the human, mechanical, "civilized" sounds. Our home environment is filled with "noise" instead of the harmony of the woods.

These woodland sounds become the best music for your soul when you come to realize that we're surrounded with unnatural sounds. To help you with the transition, I would recommend that you start a few days before you go out.

- Turn off the tv, radio, phone, mechanical devices, even the ticking of a clock 4 hours before going to bed at home.
    - Open the windows if not in an urban setting. Even dogs or distant cars are better than that "show" you can't miss for transitioning to the woodland sounds.
    - A couple of days before you go, turn on your app for woodland sounds or similar. I like YouTube because I can open up 4-5 windows with campfire(I like fire), frogs, crickets, thunderstorms, rain, etc. I even do this at work sometimes.
    - When you go, try to make yourself tired by hiking, camp chores, or other activities so you can fall asleep fast.

Enjoy the sounds of the woods and decompress from "life".
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    I'm with whoever said that the dogs and horses make good on night guard. Ive camped with both my horses and dogs. If it is something that should concern me, it will concern them first. If you are worried truly solo, it may be time to consider a furry friend (if you have the time, money, and lifestyle for it).

Only one bad encounter to report and it was not backpacking. It was car camping. Myself and 5 friends had hung in a circle and fell asleep chit chatting and enjoying the fire. Off and on all night, their dogs that were used to sleeping in the house were up and down. My backpacking buddy and I had our trail savvy dogs asleep under the hammocks (tethered to suspension so it would wake us up if they moved around) and they got up growling ferociously which is insanely out of character, in fact, I had never heard the sound an it took me a split second to realize it was my dog. One of the girls sleepily told her to shut up. I turned my head lamp on to find a guy standing in the middle of our hammocks, frozen in effort not to make noise. He ran off when I raised up and turned on my lamp. I woke the other girl up all the way and nicely informed her that when those two dogs make any vocal sound, you pay attention. The next morning, other campsites had evidence of pilfering and gear missing.

I did not tell the story to scare you but, rather to point out that in the back country, I am with everyone else that says they can't see it being an issue. I've never had an animal be any kind of threat and the guy in the above story could have very well been just a camper lost on his way to his site. I would like to think that anyways. Be aware but, don't let fear steal the joy of nature from you.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKD View Post
    I'm with whoever said that the dogs and horses make good on night guard. Ive camped with both my horses and dogs. If it is something that should concern me, it will concern them first. If you are worried truly solo, it may be time to consider a furry friend (if you have the time, money, and lifestyle for it).
    In fact, it is when it is completely silent, i.e. no horse/mule bells, that you will jolt wide awake wondering if you are going to have a long wake ahead of you.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by One-Sky View Post
    That made me spit out my coffee!!! Hysterical!!!
    I almost did the same!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast