Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Excellent! I wish I could do what you are doing, but I don't have the equipment yet for temperatures like these. My first camping hammock just came in today . I can't wait until it gets a bit warmer so I can take it out.

If you get some snow while you are out this week, you should post some pics. We are supposed to get 1-2" on Thursday, here in Huntsville.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I slept out again last night with a modified set-up… BB, three season Yeti with reflective liner and a JRB Stealth summer UQ over that. I had a small 1/2" torso pad inside and a 1/4" GG pad under my legs. I was wearing a fleece balaclava and JRB down hood, medium weight fleece long underwear bottoms and medium weight fleece zip top, two pair smart wool socks, fleece gloves and Go Lite down jacket. I was using a Go Lite Ultra 20 TQ. I also had a bottle of hot water in the footbox. I crawled in around 11 pm with temps around 26º. I was comfortable and warm and feel asleep immediately. I awoke around 12:30 for a nature call and was actually sweating a little. I went back to sleep easily but awoke again around 3:00 for another nature call and could not get my legs warm again. I bailed out at 3:30 and 17º. I should have had another layer standing by for my legs and I would probably been fine. It still was not too bad for and old very cold natured codger. I'm sleeping inside tonight, it's only going down to 26º. I will try again Thursday night with an expected low of 19º, snow and breezy, that is if my wife has not signed the commitment papers. Hope to have some good pics as natxcuah suggested.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Looks like we're in for snow Thurs as well here in NE GA

Thanks for the info, southmark. Keep it coming.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I will try again Thursday night with an expected low of 19º, snow and breezy, that is if my wife has not signed the commitment papers.
    If you need anyone to testify about your 'sanity', you know there are plenty of us 'credible' witnesses here on HF that will stand up for you!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    ...there are plenty of us 'credible' witnesses conspirators here
    Fixed that quote for ya.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Fixed that quote for ya.
    Or, maybe it should read ..."conspiring witnesses"...

Either way, if the shoe fits, etc., etc.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I slept out again last night with a modified set-up… BB, three season Yeti with reflective liner and a JRB Stealth summer UQ over that. I had a small 1/2" torso pad inside and a 1/4" GG pad under my legs. I was wearing a fleece balaclava and JRB down hood, medium weight fleece long underwear bottoms and medium weight fleece zip top, two pair smart wool socks, fleece gloves and Go Lite down jacket. I was using a Go Lite Ultra 20 TQ. I also had a bottle of hot water in the footbox. I crawled in around 11 pm with temps around 26º. I was comfortable and warm and feel asleep immediately. I awoke around 12:30 for a nature call and was actually sweating a little. I went back to sleep easily but awoke again around 3:00 for another nature call and could not get my legs warm again. I bailed out at 3:30 and 17º. I should have had another layer standing by for my legs and I would probably been fine. It still was not too bad for and old very cold natured codger. I'm sleeping inside tonight, it's only going down to 26º. I will try again Thursday night with an expected low of 19º, snow and breezy, that is if my wife has not signed the commitment papers. Hope to have some good pics as natxcuah suggested.
    Yes, sounds like you just need a thicker leg pad, especially as you woke up sweating earlier. Was that 1/4 GG doubled up?

Unless: is there any chance you got your leg insulation wet while sweating? Any way, sounds like you just about have it whipped, especially considering how cold natured you are!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BillyBob, you could be right. I did not have the 1/4 GG pad doubled but the JRB was under my legs. I may go back to my Neoair in combo with the Yeti and JRB Stealth. Also I will wear my Dri Ducks rain pants. I'm also going to drape a Neat Sheet over the ridge line for a top cover. If it works I may make one of 1.1 nylon. With what looks like at least three more nights in the teens I can try a few other things like the Wally World blue pad which I had rather not. It is just not that comfortable. Just trying to determine if I can handle Mount Rogers. Perkolady, I'll bet hanging in NE GA Thurs night would answer that.

Doug and Sam, you guys will definitely have me sent to the funny farm.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I was toasty with this configuration Sunday night but I woke a little cool at around 3:30 this morning and wrapped my feet in a Puffball vest..
    I also use a jacket to keep my feet warm in cases where the extra socks are not a possibility.
    With the lows expected to be in the teens for the rest of the week I'm going to try another set-up. It is supposed to go as low as 12º Thursday night and I am going to try the Yeti uq in combination with a JRB Stealth summer uq and eliminate the neoair. I am also going to supplement the Go Lite Ultra 20 with a Go Lite down jacket.
    It seems like you could cut down on your body/top insulation by using something warmer than the 3 season yeti + liner. I dunno how much warmth the liner adds (someone please chime in, wanting to know this anyway, since people have been out using them in the field).

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Also I will wear my Dri Ducks rain pants.
    Be careful putting your driducks on inside your hammock/bag, If its wet/really dirty you will end up with a dirty/wet and possibly useless bag. Plus it will accumulate alot of dirt and junk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12