Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up 1/13 ~AT 501 shelter hang~ trip report & pics

A few weeks ago ST. Francis and OldnWay decided to do an overnight out on the A.T IAO the 501 shelter. Last Saturday was the date that was set and a few of us replied to the post, with about 6 of us staying overnight and 1 other just hanging out for a while. I crashed at OldnWay's house that Fri night BC I had no clue where we were going, as it was my first ever overnight on the AT other than this past fall MAHHA.

Early Saturday morning we got up, had a great hot breakfast made by his wife and headed out around 0830 to pick up Padre by 9, and then on to the AT. We got to the site around 10ish and immediately set about claiming our trees and setting our rigs up. Right about the time I finished, a light snow mixed with sleet at times began to coat my just hung WL OLD MAN WINTER. The perfect conditions to test my new tarp, N1-B military Muk-Luks and had I not forgotten it, my Sierra Designs Gore-Tex outer shell. So I was w/o a shell to keep my new down jacket dry so I ended up just wearing my light l/s base top, flannel shirt, light fleece vest with my Snugpak poncho liner over all that BC it has some DWR to it. While the 3 of us set up and then started to gather wood, 2 more guys, Ryan & Ruben showed up. Around 12 Padre and I hunkered under my tarp to watch the snow and eat lunch.a I heated up 2 mountain house meals and he some soup. While we were eating and conversating, Hawk I wondered into camp to hangout for a while and drop off some much needed firewood logs. I was eager to do some hiking on the AT and Padre decided to go with me for a light 2 mile hike down the trail in the softly falling snow. We finished our hike and once back at camp, all wondered between each others rigs, asking questions, showing off gear, discussing techniques and talking shop untill about 5-530 when we all congregated around the fire, waiting for OldnWay and St. Francis to fix dinner lol. Once our bellies were full, we sat around the fire telling stories, joking, laughing, trying to figure out what exactly the new Dutch Chameleon would be and looking at our watches, counting the mins untill hiker midnight when we could all FINALLY do what trips main goal was: sleep in our hammocks wrapped in all that downy goodness!!! I was the first to give in, and around 745 I headed back to my spot to put on my clean dry sleeping clothes,wool socks ,down booties and climb into my WBBBXLC to settle in to watch a movie on my Kindle Fire before slipping into deep hammock induced sleep lol.

I watched about 15 mins and was out like a light, next thing I knew it was 630 and I had to badly water a tree lol. I got up, dressed, got my stove, water & coffee ready, and then went over to get the fire going again. Didn't take long and after a few mins I was warm again and Padre had joined me. By around 0730, everyone was up and milling around, gathering gear together, discussing the previous nights depth of sleep & comfort level and warming by the fire before the camp tare down began. By 0930, we were packed, saying our goodbyes, and OldnWay, Padre' and I were on our way to a local restaurant for breakfast and coffee. The meal was great and after dropping Padre' off, OldnWay headed he and I back to the Maryland- Pennsylvania border, there my wife was waiting for me so I could head home as well.

I had a great time hanging out and meeting everyone, making new friends with a group of guys that, had you not known most of us just meet, you'd think we had all been friends for 20 years. We all got along great, had tons in common and laughed, joked,ribbed,swore,farted, burped, scratched, spit, cussed, shared stories and HAD FUN. Having 3 girls aged 15,13 & 4, keeps me occupied most weekends. And between dance, gymnastics, swimming, soccer, competition Cheer, Cheer team trips+ competitions, and just doing daddy things in general, I don't get the chance to hike or hang my hammock away from home very much if ever. Last weekend was a much needed time to recharge my battery and have a good old testosterone laced fun weekend with the guys lol. I had a great time guys! Your all more than welcome to come on down to my little spot on the Chesapeake bay anytime and hang your rig right down on the beach with me, 20' from the slow rolling waves and beautiful sunrises. Most of you aren't too too far away, just invite yourself and we'll get something together. Hope to see you all at spring MAHHA and down on my beach sometime soon too! ( I'm the one first one on the right, then Padre, st.Francis, Ryan,Ruben and OldnWay taking the pic. Hawk i had left already).

campfire.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Great trip report Chesapeake .. was definitely a great time and enjoyed "hanging" out with everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    I've been waiting for you to do a trip report because I knew you would put it into word better than I could. You nailed it with the part about being friends for 20 years. It was a great group of guys that made the outing a lot of fun. Thanks for posting
    OldnWay

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Absolutely! Can't wait to do it again
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    DIY (in progress)
    Insulation
    UQ - Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Always changing
    Bummer that missed this. I was out camping up in the Poconos by myself that weekend. I would of love to have changed camping destination had I seen this before I went. Next time

• + New Posts