Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images

Amsteel woopie slings defects

I have recently purchased a pair of Amsteen woopie slins from Dutch which I have used for less then 10 hangs throughout late autumn and early winter.

I am not sure wether I am misusing them or there is some defect - here is what I have noticed - any idea what is wrong...or is it wrong?

- they extend enormously with humidity. Once they set up and I lay in my hammock everything looks fine, but in the morning my butt is at least 10cm lower. This did not happen with the original suspensions, which makes me blame the slings

- it is offen very hard to tighten the slings, even with no load whatsoever. I imputed this to possible humidity that freezes between the fibers

- the insertion point of the slings (both slings) is already very much worn-off. Many of the fibers have broken. I do not expect it will be able to hold my weight much longer (though I am at only 80kg)

- the color has almost disappeared - not a big deal, however...

What's up with them?

Federico

Can you post close up pics of the bury? Discoloration and strand stretch are normal in my experience. The extension is not likely humidity. I'd suggest maybe the bury needs to be "milked" well to set it. Mine will drop a bit when first set. I typically set up, sit down and then reset.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Like Sydney stated, they are definitely not stretching. There is another factor in play.

If your slings are under load (i.e. connected to your hammock and insulation) that could be contributing to the difficulty adjusting them, but you already know that. As you mentioned, ice could also be a factor, but I have no experience with icy whoopie slings.

Some wear around the buries is normal. As Sydney also mentioned, pictures would be helpful. Perhaps even video your method of setup and the difficulties you're experiencing. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    I have recently purchased a pair of Amsteen woopie slins from Dutch which I have used for less then 10 hangs throughout late autumn and early winter.

I am not sure wether I am misusing them or there is some defect - here is what I have noticed - any idea what is wrong...or is it wrong?

- they extend enormously with humidity. Once they set up and I lay in my hammock everything looks fine, but in the morning my butt is at least 10cm lower. This did not happen with the original suspensions, which makes me blame the slings

- it is offen very hard to tighten the slings, even with no load whatsoever. I imputed this to possible humidity that freezes between the fibers

- the insertion point of the slings (both slings) is already very much worn-off. Many of the fibers have broken. I do not expect it will be able to hold my weight much longer (though I am at only 80kg)

- the color has almost disappeared - not a big deal, however...

What's up with them?

Federico
    My warbonnet webbing stretches eveb though its polly. Stretch in the hammock too.

Maybe a defective batch of amsteel but Ive never, ever seen it stretch. You can barely cut it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did you milk the bury?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    I don't think Amsteel stretches brother .They use that stuff for boating and what not. Sounds like you got other issues. Maybe with it slipping. Like Shug says check the bury and make sure it's cinching properly. Be sure and let us know how you fix or don't fix it .I'm intersted to know what the real problem is.
    Also, measure the whoopies then use it and then re measure. I doubt you'll find the whoopies increase in length.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    What is the bury length? I have never had an issue with Whoopies, but I have had slippage with UCR's. For me, an 8 inch bury in the UCR's was fine, but a friend, who is significantly heavier, had them gently lower him to the ground. Not sure if a whoopie with an excessively short bury would slip, but I suppose it could. I personally, make my Whoopie slings with an 8 to 10 inch bury, but I have seen them as short at 6 inches.

I had this problem the first few times I used my whoopies. Turns out I hadn't milked the bury. Try that and it should fix your problem.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Pictures will help. The bury on my Ridgerunner is only about 4 or 5 in and I've never experienced any slippage and definately no stretch. That stuff is used for synthetic winch rope...it will break before it stretches.
    Gotta "milk ye bury" as I remember from one of the first Shug videos I saw and wondered what the heck he was talking about. But I'm only preaching to the choir.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images
    Alright I see. I thought I milked them, but perhaps not as good as I should have! I will be out hanging on Saturday and try to do a nice job.

I understand the slitage is normal, but after so few outings? As I am not experienced with woopies I may simply be worrying about nothing at all. I will post pics asap.

Thanks for the tips for the time being!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast