Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images

Question about HG Burrow 20* Length

Howdy all! I am about to pull the trigger on a Burrow 20* with a sewn footbox and I need some insight on the length. I have never owned a TQ, so I am unsure of the fit. I am just shy of 5'10". How well does the standard length fit? For those that have gone with the standard, do you wish you went for the long version instead? What are your experiences?

Thanks

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I'm 6'2" and my first Burrow was a long. It was too long for my tastes. Now all 3 of my Burrow's are standard length and they are perfect. Can even pull over my face if I feel like it. My 5'8" friend has a short length Burrow and he can pull it up over his face too.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm exactly that height and I had a std burrow. If I pulled it all the way up, it would fit about to my nose. You want to cinch it around the top of the shoulders, and what I found was that little extra length combined with the great loft (mine was a zero) tended to bunch up and catch my breath and get soggy. Now, mine was a wide, too, and that extra width could've played into it as well. I found I didn't like the extra width in the hammock, just too much unused insulation. I got the wide because of potential go to ground use, but 1) never went to the ground and 2) even if I did, I find the std width sufficient for tucking and sealing in my warmth on in ground mode. Wide definitely would be more forgiving on the ground, but like I said, completely useless in the hammock as your sides are already insulated by the UQ.

So, I know I've seen some folks say that they like to pull the quilt over the top of them, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The std has plenty of length for you, I would not get the long. I would get the std width, too.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and all three of my Burrows are standard length. I wouldn't want longer.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm 5'11" and all three of my Burrows are standard length. I wouldn't want longer.
    What width did you go with? I have fairly broad shoulders and I tend roll from side to side during the night.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    I also have broad shoulders and had your concern before buying a standard sized 20 degree burrow. I folded a blanket and clipped it at 50" to check, and it provided more than enough coverage. I'm happy I chose the standard as the wide would have been too much for me. I'm 6' and the length is perfect.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you're a flopper like me I would highly recommend a 55" width.

Hammock
    DH- Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winterdream
    Insulation
    HG 20, UGQ Zep. 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'm also 5'11" and find the standard length to be plenty. I always have to pull it up to get my feet all the way inside the foot box. There is plenty of length to pull it up over my face, but I don't. I'm skinny so the width isn't a problem for me, but i'm sure a bigger guy would enjoy the extra width to tuck up around you.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'm short at 5'6" and the short 0° Burrow quilt was still too long for my liking so I had a custom length made. I don't ever pull my quilts over my head and definetly wouldn't with a down quilt to keep as much moisture as possible out, but that's me. So after talking to Harry we agreed that removing a whole chamber from the end would shorten it to right where I wanted it. Now its just long enough to pull up to my chin and sinch down but not so long it covers my whole head. No extra cost and I've got a custom quilt perfect for my height. They will be more than happy to make it as !long or as short as you need it, give them an email and get exactly the length you need.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Images
    I'm 6' and wish I would have gone for standard length. Way too much dead space at the bottom of my feet when I have the quilt cinched around my neck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast