Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    johnspenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Posts
    2,231
    Images
    1

    Suffer Fest on the BMT: A Cautionary Tale

    Last November I went on a longish hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail with a friend. Prior to the hike I had not been conditioning properly (much more couch time than trail time). It got pretty rough.

    Here's a blog post detailing the hike and results with an accompanying video.
    Suffer Fest on the BMT: A Cautionary Tale

    Hope it helps!

  2. #2
    Good deal thanks for sharing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Tumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rosholt, WI
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big MJ
    Insulation
    Yeti & Wookie
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Posts
    521
    Images
    2
    Thanks for posting this TR. Getting off the couchget harder every year. Drats...
    T

  4. #4
    johnspenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Posts
    2,231
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyymallcorn View Post
    Good deal thanks for sharing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for taking a look!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Thanks for posting this TR. Getting off the couchget harder every year. Drats...
    T
    It does seem to get more difficult with the passage of time haha. Thanks for watching!

  5. #5
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    WBBBXLC ,DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    OMW/Snugpak
    Insulation
    40* dwn/synth sets
    Suspension
    Whoppies
    Posts
    861
    Images
    9
    Great vid and post. As I get older I often times forget that Im 35, not 21 and I need to stay in shape or I'll loose it pretty quickly. Lol. I had the same thing happen to me not to long ago. Kale Kale and I did man overnight at the state park that's across the bay from me. We didn't put in a lot of miles, but she walked me under the table lol. A big wake up call !!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  6. #6
    johnspenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Posts
    2,231
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Great vid and post. As I get older I often times forget that Im 35, not 21 and I need to stay in shape or I'll loose it pretty quickly. Lol. I had the same thing happen to me not to long ago. Kale Kale and I did man overnight at the state park that's across the bay from me. We didn't put in a lot of miles, but she walked me under the table lol. A big wake up call !!
    Oh man I wish I was 35 again! I'll be 50 in march, but really I'm in better shape now than I was then. I was so sedentary during those years, it was really pathetic. I've got to be careful not to slip back in to that trap. Thanks Chesapeake!

  7. #7
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    WBBBXLC ,DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    OMW/Snugpak
    Insulation
    40* dwn/synth sets
    Suspension
    Whoppies
    Posts
    861
    Images
    9
    Absolutely. Yeah it was a BIG wake-up call for me. After a while its easy to get stuck in that "groundhog day" kind of routine and before you know it your out of shape and zombified from daily life lol. My journey from couch to trail definetly went into high gear after that weekend. I was absolutely exhausted and plum Tuckered out after only a few miles of moderate hiking. It was in the upper 90's with like 85% humidity but still, I was in horrible shape. After that I made myself be more active and now Im in great shape. Daddy life makes it hard sometimes, but getting off the couch and trying to get my family on the trail with me, even if its just the mile hike out to the lighthouse and back, has made us all happier, healthier AND closer. Plus, I wont get beat by girls anymore! Lol. Unless its kale kale, she can hike me under the table, still ! Lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  8. #8
    tollermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Ashfield, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    139
    I rely heavily on xc skiing in the winter to keep me in shape. Unfortunately, this winter like last winter has been pretty poor for that. I will use this as a cautionary tale and get out there even if it means walking on micro spikes on the yucky ice. Thanks for the video.

  9. #9
    johnspenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Posts
    2,231
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Daddy life makes it hard sometimes, but getting off the couch and trying to get my family on the trail with me, even if its just the mile hike out to the lighthouse and back, has made us all happier, healthier AND closer. Plus, I wont get beat by girls anymore!
    Keep up the good work, with both you and with your family.

    Don't worry about getting beat by a girl haha. I get passed by girls on the trail all the time. Had to let that go!

    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    I rely heavily on xc skiing in the winter to keep me in shape. Unfortunately, this winter like last winter has been pretty poor for that. I will use this as a cautionary tale and get out there even if it means walking on micro spikes on the yucky ice. Thanks for the video.
    Hopefully you can find some kind of activity that will keep you active, and that you enjoy. Good luck!

Similar Threads

  1. Intruder - a Cautionary Hammock Tale
    By g2outdoors in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 22:43
  2. A cautionary tale about discount nylon.
    By Frost in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 22:37
  3. Hammock Fest 09 Pictures
    By ricegravy in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 09:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •