Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Almost committed to Hammock Camping

Hi everyone!

I just joined, but have been reading for a while now.

I've picked up a Warbonnet Blackbird, top/bottom quilts, and a superfly tarp. I've only had it out once so far. I find it extremely comfortable for lounging/reading, but for some reason I just can't fall asleep in it.

Is there an adjustment period?

Thanks everyone,

-ADVR9T

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes and no. In general, falling asleep typically isn't the issue. More like getting more comfortable with the lay, learning how to adjust the sag, how to ensure the UQ has no gaps, etc.

Are you plenty warm? Its not cold that's keeping you up? Tried hiking 15 miles and then getting in it?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Thanks Dakotaross,

Maybe i'm lacking the exhaustion... I've really only tried it in my living room. I brought it camping, but with my dog we stayed in my tent rather than have him out in the open.

I'm wondering if I should have gone with the XLC or the Ridgerunner. I'm a side sleeper and a bit on the husky side...

-ADVR9T

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Are you having trouble falling asleep from being uncomfortable or from the sites and sounds of hammockry? I just got back from a weekend trip and the first night it's hard for me to turn off the "high definition radar ears" of mine. I think I could hear a mouse fart from 100 yards the first night out so every change in sound wakes me back up. I've started using ear plugs and they help a ton if you can leave them in. Second night is never an issue as I'm exhausted from the night before

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    could hear a mouse fart from 100 yards the first night
    LOL

My senses are kind of heightened too and part of it is how long has it been since I camped, am I alone, how tired am I...
    But I absolute cannot wear ear plugs because I couldn't hear Bigfoot sneaking up on me and I would be defenseless. I need some control.

Bottom line is that you just have to experiment and see what works for you. Be open minded and keep a positive mind set. You'll find the sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I find it noisy outside. Within 4 miles of any "civilization" there's the noise of that. But in the woods there's the close in noise of animals and especially the owls. You do get used to it.
    At first I was good only for about 4 hours of sleep at a time. Now I'm sleeping longer than I have in years. 8-9 hours average and get up feeling good.
    Persevere with sleeping on your back and partially on your side I think you will get it with time. I always fell asleep even quickly at first, even faster now sleeping every night in the hammock. I was a side sleeper for probably 65 years. Now I sleep every night on my back. A bridge hammock makes it easier to side sleep if you must. I find pillows under knees a huge help, it keeps the hyper extension of knee joints at bay.
    Yeah, Keep at it. It's so restful when you get it you'll be very pleased.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Many of us do have an adjustment to a new sleeping environment that takes place. First off just like mentioned above the differences of sound can take some getting used to. But for many it also takes the body some time to adjust to a different feeling "bed". The moment of the hammock is different, the support is different and so on and so on. Lots of us take a Tylenol PM (or similar sleep aid) the first night or two. For me the Zzz-Quil...same sleep aid as in NyQuil cold meds...has worked very well. After a few nights your body "gets it" and is adjusted to the different sleeping arrangement. Keep at it and you will find what works for you to drift off.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    My first night out I was so excited that I didn't sleep well. Now I sleep better in my hammock than I do in my own bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA.

There is an adjustment period during which you get everything dialed in just the way you want it. Patience, grasshopper!

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    If earplugs won't work for you, you might try a book on tape or a radio I find ambient noise helps drowned out the Critter sounds and relax your brain. A Tylenol PM or a stiff drink will work wonder to;<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast