Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Staying COOL in the summer heat.

There are hundreds of options, posts, ideas, and gadgets to keep you warm on a nights hangs. But what do you guys do to keep you COOL? I tried to sleep out in the hills here on the outskirts of Tokyo a few nights ago but could not sleep as it was about 27°c 80°f and 95+% humidity... Even in a hammock I was sweating bullets.

Only thing I can think of would be a electronic fan, or maybe wetting the hammock. With regards to the water, my back did a good job of getting the hammock wet.

I was in a double hammock and a full bug net. As you can imagine in the conditions I mentioned the bugs are savage.

My double hammock is a made of heavy fabric, so I am looking to get a thinner double hammock. But still it's gonna cut down in the convection a little.

Any ideas?

My 2 ideas

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07...E3%83%88&psc=1

A gel filled cooling sheet (bit heavy)

Or a battery fan. (but big / awkward)

Sent from my 401SO using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Adeonhisown; 08-11-2017 at 22:32.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    80*F and 95% humidity is gonna be hot, no matter what you do.

I found these O2 Cool necklace fans at Walmart in the hardware section for $5. s-l300.jpg

They blow up, not down, but when I unscrewed the screws holding it together, it was easy to flip it around so that it blows downward instead of up. I did use my Dremel with the cut-off wheel to cut a little groove in the plastic body about 3/16" long for the cord to pass through, just like it does on the other end. If you hold one and look at it, you'll see what I mean.

They are nice because the fan blades are completely enclosed and won't hit the bug net. They're pretty light, too. They take 2 AA batteries.
    Last edited by DannyII; 08-11-2017 at 21:55.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The conditions sound familiar here in Florida. My solution is to stay indoors, very near an A/C vent. Here we get cabin fever in the summer!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The conditions sound familiar here in Florida. My solution is to stay indoors, very near an A/C vent. Here we get cabin fever in the summer!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much what I've been doing. I get a couple of week vacation in August, but I've just been sitting in my undies in front of the A/C. Felt wasteful. So I went hiking...
    FAIL... LOL.
    My other hobby is motorbikes. Same problem. But at least you can get up some speed and the wind blows the sweat away.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyII View Post

I found these O2 Cool necklace fans at Walmart in the hardware section for $5. s-l300.jpg

They blow up, not down, but when I unscrewed the screws holding it together, it was easy to flip it around so that it blows downward instead of up. I did use my Dremel with the cut-off wheel to cut a little groove in the plastic body about 3/16" long for the cord to pass through, just like it does on the other end. If you hold one and look at it, you'll see what I mean.

They are nice because the fan blades are completely enclosed and won't hit the bug net. They're pretty light, too. They take 2 AA batteries.
    They look good, I'll have to have a look around the walmart equivalent here.

Or a more detailed look around amazon. Thanks.

Guess I could always hike higher and let altitude cool things off.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I find a Fronkey Style bugnet and thin/light hammock the most comfortable when it's hot out (with my UQ hanging off to the side to be pulled under if needed later in the night). The Fronkey Style bugnet provides much more space for heat to escape than an integrated bugnet.

The O2 fans are nice to initially cool you, but remember to turn it off prior to falling asleep.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyII View Post

+1 on the fan. Ive got one of these too and it works pretty well. I also have to deal with nasty humidity and other than the fan and super lightweight synthetic clothes to wick the perspiration away there's not much you can do. Oh, SITE SELECTION , take advantage of the terrain and any breeze there might be.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I use this O2COOL.
    20170808_101337.jpg

O2COOL 5-Inch Portable Fan, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B16VT6..._0GVJzbJMQCV3T
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    That's a cool setup, gringo. I'ma havta give that a try.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast