Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

New Hampshire backpacking info needed!

I would like to plan a trip for this June with my son. I was thinking of going somewhere in New Hampshire near the Whites. I would like something maybe a little less traveled but still get a peak or two above treeline, we like rock features, and want to be able to camp without having to stay in a designated area. We will probably do either three days two nights or four days three nights and are thinking maybe somewhere around a 25 to 35 mile loop. Nothing super taxing but we can take a little abuse! Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations or maybe a good trail guide for the region? We will have about an 8 hour drive up there and will stay in a hotel and then get started in the morning when we do decide.
    Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I like the pemi loop.

Here is a link to one of Sintax77 's video and 1960hikerdude has a few. Search youtube. There are tons of videos of this area. That area is great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SF9qlWNjo9I
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -Stephen Hawking

"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." -Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Excellent resources: White Mountain guide put out by AMC (Appalachian mountain club). It contains maps of all the hikes. I have a great waterproof map of most of the main Whites it does not have the Pliny and Pilot ranges though which is one of the areas I would recommend you check out if you want to avoid people. No above tree line hikes, but a few mountains that make the 4000' list with views and a couple that are on the 100 highest list. You can do a long backpack there and not see too many folks. The Kilkenny ridge trail is long and you can do loops with other trails there. More moose than anything in that area. If you want more views and be above tree line with still slightly more people but not as many as the rest of the Whites, try the Wild River Valley and the Baldface Royce area just West of the Carter Moriah range. Great views.

Farther south you can try the Sandwich Range Wilderness. The Kate Sleeper trail is lovely and there is Mt Whiteface and Passaconaway too that have great views. Hared to do a loop hike there. The Pemi Wilderness area is lovely and mostly down in a valley but you can go up to the ridge in a few places and hike up there but it is usually full of people that is a very popular area more up on the ridge. Get a good guide book with good maps with the mileage on them and have fun!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    The first suggestions are definitely great hikes but hardly 'less traveled' and somewhat on an advanced level but anything can be done in measurable doses ;-)

Take look at Evans Notch and perhaps base out of Wild River Campground

https://www.google.com/search?client...er+Campground+
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I would like something maybe a little less traveled but still get a peak or two above treeline
    Define less traveled please. Less traveled than Yellowstone or less traveled than Death Valley in August? Do you want to go 4 days without seeing another person or are a few people OK?

... a peak or two above treeline, we like rock features, and want to be able to camp without having to stay in a designated area.
    There are barely any designated sites in the Whites anyway and disbursed camping is permitted almost everywhere with some basic rules about distance from water/trails/etc. See this page and read this.

Nothing super taxing but we can take a little abuse!
    What is taxing to you? Do you run marathons or is 15 minutes on a stair machine enough to wear you out?

I lived in NH for 15 years and in MA for the last 10. I've hiked the WMNF regularly and often for all of those 25 years. I've invited friends from Utah, Colorado, and Washington to hike with me, and watched them wither on our peaks because of Summer humidity. I even run a website dedicated to hiking in the WMNF. Here are some thoughts:

• The Whites are tough for two reasons: elevation and climate. Although most peaks aren't that high at just over 4000', you'll start at low elevation so the altitude gain is still several thousand feet. Over mostly exposed rock. And in late June the climate turns very warm and humid during the day which saps many people's energy. Don't underestimate he difficulty level.
    • Finding hammock spots isn't as easy as it might seem. Much of the WMNF was heavily logged and then burned in the early 1900s and the regrowth is dense. I've walked for miles not seeing decent spots, so plan accordingly.
    • Water is not usually an issue but it's been dry the last few years so look at your maps carefully. June is usually pretty wet compared to later in the season.

Everyone loves the Pemi Loop that DC125 posted for reasons that totally escape me, especially since Backpacker Magazine keeps telling people to hike it and it crowds with people. I strongly recommend against it unless bagging peaks is really what you want and you're willing to be an ultralight packer. I've seen that loop kick the butt of marathon runners with 3-4 day loads.

Personally, I advocate a variation on that loop, Starting at either Lincoln Woods or Crawford Notch State Park and tying together a visit to Thoreau Falls and the Thoreau Falls trail, the Shoal Pond Trail, Wilderness Trail, and a side trip up the AT to Zealand. This is a mostly flat but quite scenic tour of wilderness areas, peaks, ponds, waterfalls, and typical WMNF scenery, but minus many of the people. I have pics posted somewhere here from when I did this loop a couple years ago. This loop also exposes you to the real history of the area with signs of the old lumber camps that used to be in the area. To really prepare, read Tall Trees Tough Men before you go. It'll really give you some contect for why the area is what it is now.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 02-08-2017 at 14:11. Reason: Can't spell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I just purchased the AMC guidebook Best Backpacking in New England. I also found a Guthook's app for that region with most of the White's area maps available for free. I didn't realize the amount of trails that crisscross the region, looks like you can make loops of almost any size by piecing trails together.
    -Grumpy Squatch- as far as less traveled, I don't mind seeing people but I'd rather go someplace that I won't see too many. I live in Pennsylvania and have done 16-18 mile days here on the AT so I thought if I could possibly do maybe 8-10 miles a day up there, does that seem reasonable? Anyway thanks for the advice keep it coming!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Isn't June above tree line in NH still considered winter?!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    Not really
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Actually, July 4th is usually warm, maybe. ��
    Last edited by psyculman; 02-09-2017 at 04:47.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast