Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Been there, done ... something like that. I like your first response of putting pleats in the top layer. Measure that one as carefully as you can if it seems the right shape. That will give you a ball-park figure for lengthwise adjustment as well as widthwise. For my insulated hammocks and similar shaped underquilts I can get a really accurate layer that matches the shape of an occupied hammock using my fairly tedious method of mapping the surface with triangles, measuring all edges, and making patterns from which to sew, etc. However I resort to trial and error when making the second (bottom) layer that hangs evenly below it. I still use the triangle patterns from the top part, but space them a bit farther apart to get a larger curved panel. I also vary the additional lengthwise spacing depending on the curvature of the hammock - smaller radius under the butt. Then, leave extra fabric around the edges, pin it up and test. If you get close to the right size and shape by calculating and measuring, you can really get an even layer of insulation by adjusting the edges. The payback is wonderful - less insulation needed, no gaps, no compressed insulation, and a much warmer UQ.

(Now to go re-read hangnout's posts. We're all still learning.)

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    WV!

That was great - I've read your old posts on this forum and it has helped! Hangouts comments as well!

It's hard to "shape" your brain around this issue and it cannot be discussed enough as new DIY'ers come on "the scene" and begin to tackle this.

I still need to go read that thread linked to earlier - will find time today!!

Great stuff

I plan on a 2nd attempt in 2-3 weeks so the planning in my head and on here begins!

Huge thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

Lengthwise differential Cut Help

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    WV!

That was great - I've read your old posts on this forum and it has helped! Hangouts comments as well!

It's hard to "shape" your brain around this issue and it cannot be discussed enough as new DIY'ers come on "the scene" and begin to tackle this.

I still need to go read that thread linked to earlier - will find time today!!

Great stuff

I plan on a 2nd attempt in 2-3 weeks so the planning in my head and on here begins!

Huge thanks everyone!

We can sometimes be our own worst enemy by overthinking things. That's a truth to life and I believe it applies well to any DIY projects. Also, I'm sure HGs prototype Incubator or Phoenix wasn't very sexy. I'm sure it took them several hundred, maybe even thousands of dollars to evolve it to where it is today. I hope your next one rivals Warbonnet in quality!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTapeMessiah View Post
    We can sometimes be our own worst enemy by overthinking things. That's a truth to life and I believe it applies well to any DIY projects. Also, I'm sure HGs prototype Incubator or Phoenix wasn't very sexy. I'm sure it took them several hundred, maybe even thousands of dollars to evolve it to where it is today. I hope your next one rivals Warbonnet in quality!

Good points...and a couple added thoughts:

First, to be clear, I have pretty low expectations, this is for my personal enjoyment and hopefully, ill get good enough to make it at least "functional" at temps I want. Brandon's Wooki build is really well done, and I suspect it would take me 100's of attempts to get anything as aesthetically pleasing, or as elegant and efficient with the materials...

Having said that, I am extremely happy so far with my semi-rag tag end result of my orange one...It was mid 30's and I was toasty warm with minimal clothing, just a base layer alone (medium weight champion brand)....I am very anxious to find out how low I can get in my DIY TQ and UQ.

I plan my 2nd attempt in a few weeks...I thought when I started my first attempt there was a good likelihood I would have to re-harvest the down, and redo the sewing on a second (or third?) build (each redo would cost me about 60 bucks in materials), but the quilt with its flaws aesthetically or with excess materials, appear to be fully functional, no cold spots, so my second build will not be repeating my attempt at my wife's UQ that she will use, but instead to do one that is for me! I am thinking a black inner layer (the "hammock part") and a camo outer layer - both argon 90 from dutch - the camo has that same black in it...and I am planning an all black robic 1.0 integrated net hammock.....so all black, then that highlight of that camo....could be cool...have not decided on colors yet.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Lengthwise differential Cut Help

Also consider the baffles are at an angle (on the wookie) vs your straight baffles. Easier to create the differential in the 'width' without running out of fabric like you do running the length ways.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Also consider the baffles are at an angle (on the wookie) vs your straight baffles. Easier to create the differential in the 'width' without running out of fabric like you do running the length ways.
    oh yes, I thought about that...the way the wooki itself orients on a diagonal, I think it will need far less lengthwise differential as well...well maybe not "FAR" less, but less, as the wooki lays more "flat" in that orientation yeah....as far as width, I would thing it is similar...

I keep vacillating about IF on my 2nd attempt, since it will be for ME specifically, will I try and do the asym orientation of the quilt like the wooki, save material, save weight...but am feeling gun shy..feel like I learned my dimensions and issues with this one, and worry if I do it different, I will be more like "starting over"....I don't know....ill probably attempt the asymp orientation, but with slightly wider and longer dimensions than the wooki....I keep reminding myself that if I flub it up, I can restart and only be at a loss of the fabric, which aint cheap, but for my hobby, is not a huge loss...yeah, well and the time/labor, but that is "free" right?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345