Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got my shock cord from RBTR. They carry all the sizes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Just looked at their website, they don't have 1/32. At least they have 1/16, and I'd bet it's probably better than para planet's. It's sold in 25' sections, but they tell ya that up front.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sorry said...Dutch has it.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/shock-cord.html

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    Sorry said...Dutch has it.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/shock-cord.html

Nope... He only has 3/32...I guess it doesn't exist.

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    TR Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Long time listener, first time poster. I (think) I've read through this entire thread, and I haven't seen any links to the throws that can be used. I called my local Bed Bath & Beyond and was told they don't carry the down throws until around Christmas time. I just went to Costco and, while they have changed out their summer outdoor gear for bedding, they don't have the throws.

I went on Costco.com and was able to find this. It's a 2 pack of down quilts. Are these the proper quilts? Kind of a bummer, color wise - I would have preferred black, silver, or green. Also would have liked to have has Pollux a different color from Castor.

If these are indeed the right quilts (they appear to be, size wise anyway), I'll pull the trigger.

Also, big thanks to leiavoia - this is a fantastic idea, and as a noobie hanger, this is right up my alley cost/investment wise. Thank you for the guide!

Edit: also, as an amateur astronomer, I LOVE the name of the quilt/pieces. It put a smile on my face as soon as I read it.

Images
    Welcome aboard!

Yes, those are the correct throws. (They are semi-seasonal and more likely to be found online-only this time of year.)

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    So the cold season is just around the corner and this will be my first winter attempt at hammocking. I've used my Gemini setup in single layer mode as low as 50 so far and felt great.

So how low has everyone gone with the various configurations? I'm a pretty warm sleeper and I'll mostly just be hanging in the backyard, but I am curious how low the experienced guys got this past year. Part of this is self serving because I'm trying to d code on if I need to purchase an underquilt for this winter.

Thanks, y'all! And happy hangin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I had one already seam ripped CDT left from last year's crop. So, all I can make for now is the lower, aka Pollux, quilt. Castor will have to wait until I get another CDT. I did see Costco online has them in stock again...

I ordered the Kam Snap kit direct from Kam Snap, and it arrived last night. I've never used one before. It is super easy to use. I did 2 test snaps, and off I went...

Some tips based on my 1st experience making this wonderful project:

Using a rotary cutter and cutting mat made cutting all the 4" grosgrain super fast. When I was done cutting them, I lined them up on the edge of the table with the ends sticking off 3/4" or so. A quick pass of the lighter sealed all the edges. I spun them around and did the other side the same way. No handling (or dropping them) and the lighter flame wasn't on for very long, either.

I also used the grids on my cutting board for a quick way to measure and fold the grosgrain the 1/2" and 1" necessary for the two sides of the snaps. Fast, and repeatable without having to juggle a tape measure. I just folded the grosgrain, put my poker where I wanted it, then pulled the grosgrain up to make the hole.

I went with the 1/16" shock cord and it seems pretty darn small. I can't imagine shock cord half the size it this mini cord! I think it worked fine for the clews, but I see how 1/32" would be also sufficient with 13 clews to hold the light UQ up and maybe provide a little more stretch to avoid down compression. BTW - 13 clews per side means 26 lengths of your clew length. For my 20" clews, with the 8" extra x2 on both ends, that works out to about 90 feet of cord. Order accordingly! I made a mini whoopie sling out of Lash-It so that I can adjust the end of the clews. I used a 36" piece and put a 1" fixed eye for the carabineer. It gives me about 12" of adjustability on each end.

20170811_202520.jpg. (The clew looks scrunched together because I just pulled my bug net back enough for the picture)

Just now I tested it on my hammock in my gear lab (garage) and the UQ seemed noticeably warmer than my other one with no seams ripped. Reaching under me, I could feel little tubes of down under me. Nice! I was curious to see if it reduces/eliminates the gap that forms where the hammock calf ridge is when I'm using my other CDT UQ. My last couple of outdoor hangs with temps in the low 50's, around 3 am, I've been getting some CBS (cold but syndrome) due to this gap. It really seems like it does hug the hammock body very well, even where the calf ridge is. Here's a picture of the foot end with me hanging in it.

20170811_173253.jpg

Thanks again for this awesome design!
    Last edited by DannyII; 08-11-2017 at 20:28.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Last night I tried it outdoors. It was WARM! It only got down to 61*F, but the CBS seems to be gone. I slept great. I also liked that it didn't have the stiff grosgrain channel on the sides. It kinda just felt like another down-filled hammock body under me.

The only negative I noticed was that when you first get in, you have to make sure it is pulled up on your head/shoulder on the side you lay, and the same thing on the foot end. I had it hung pretty loose, though. Once I did that, it seemed to stay there all night.

My mini-whoopies worked great, too. When I first got in, I had to get up to adjust it a bit to get better coverage on my shoulders, and the mini-whoopies made that really easy.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I picked up some more CDT this weekend in store in the Detroit area. What does everyone think about leaving 2 rows of stitching to limit down migration and thin spots?

I have one ripped like this now, red is ripped, black remains unripped: Gemini seam rip pattern idea.png

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast