Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Would it be a terrible idea to just add cam snaps to the hammock itself and snap the underquilt to the hammock rather than fussing with the suspension at all? ( using a cheap Amazon hammock, not poking holes in my nice Chameleon)

On faux baffles: You can add faux baffles without hurting the design. I would recommend putting it together first and then putting faux baffles on afterward only if you feel it isn't cutting the mustard as is.

On suspension: if you snapped the blanket directly to the hammock, you would end up with a giant air pocket in the middle. The elastic suspension guarantees even tension across the entire surface with no gaps.

In the last month I have made 4 sets of quilts and also 4 hammock socks (also no sew, just another quilt and some extra snaps) to cut down on drafts on the feet. Originally, I was making 1 set for myself and then I added 1 kid, then the other two to the list. I decided to put the kids (14,9,8) through the paces in their hammocks, specifically the temps before any trip. So we camped for 2 nights in the carport. All have quilts, socks and 20* bags with the potential for bag liners. Yep we hammock-ed outside Xmas eve looking for Santa in recorded 33* weather. All kids slept with no problems.

I have slept with my double quilt (no third layer) and 0* sleeping bag along with my hammock sock down to upper 20*'s like 28-29 easily and no noticeable cold spots. Prior to adding in the sock I always got cold from the drafts to the feet even in my bag.
    I don't expect the younger kids to always hammock with me, especially in the cold weather. I was more interested in leiavoia's comment about making a second set earlier and using pieces of the quilt to make a third layer if needed instead of the folding. This really gives me a double set for myself and 14 year old. But if the young ones are interested in hammock-ing don't let me stand in their way. Plus, I never thought I would hear it but the mrs. said she may want to try it. So not a bad xmas present to me!

We are going tomorrow for our trip. I will also post some pictures from the wild!

@leiavoia Many thanks for the very detailed instructions.

IMG_1688.jpgIMG_1717.jpgIMG_1716 2.jpgIMG_1726.jpg
    Last edited by HuskyHerder; 12-26-2017 at 01:34.

Hammock
    Homemade 12 footer, extra wide.
    Tarp
    Eastern Ridge
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    Straps/Becketts
    I just did a test hang of the full Gemini top and bottom quilt on my Hammock Bliss and I found out that 50F is too warm for using the top and bottom quilt. Toasty warm goodness20171226_104947.jpg

Here are our pics from the wild!
    IMG_1856.jpgIMG_1857.jpgIMG_1867.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon netless
    Tarp
    HammockGear Quest
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ, CDT UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch woopie hook
    So I made a standard Gemini set, but with a suspension more like hammock gear’s, but also a second castor layer that is overstuffed with about 8oz of 800 fill power duck down from Dutch. Last night, in Austin Tx area it got down to 23. The non-overstuffed got me to about 30F. Switched the standard castor with the overstuffed one. It was very warm at the 23F with light winds we had. Probably could get down to high teens (17-18) with no worries.

I am actually able to stuff this almost fully in one of the original sacks, but use one that is a little bit larger to not over compress. Heavier than a dedicated 20F bag, but was much cheaper for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Eastern Ridge
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    Straps/Becketts
    I just got back from Hangcon in Central Florida and got a chance to really give the Gemini over/under quilt system a run for it's money. The temps dropped into the low 30's with a wind chill of 28F. Since I did not have a separate top quilt I just had to stay in summer mode the entire time with 2 of the nights, freezing temps. The 1st night I had the suspension set up all wrong and that was a long cool (not cold) night. I had the tie out lines way too far apart. I was able to sleep but not really comfortably warm. The next day I switched the tie outs and brought them in closer so the bottom quilt was snugger on the ends and that made all the difference in the world. I had a little problem with the bottom quilt popping off to one side when I would toss around in my sleep. It would wake me up immediately, it got so cold so fast but once corrected I was able to get right back to sleep.
    Over all I know I stretched this system way past it's design but I was actually very comfortable on the 2nd night once I corrected the tie outs. I plan to built a second top quilt so I can use the system as it was designed for winter hangs. I don't think I'll have any problems staying warm after that. I was frankly amazed how well it worked the way I used it.

Thanks for the report.

If the quilt slips off to one side, that's usually a symptom of either: A) its stretched on way too tight, or B) it's too short for your hammock. Ideally the clew ends should be right where your suspension starts. Some folks are putting an extra attach point on the sides to tie onto the hammock to make 100% sure it stays put.

I get the best fit on mine when i attach it very lightly.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I just returned from a winter backpacking trip in Dolly Sods, WV. The nights were predicted to go near zero, and I was worried my 20* top quilt wouldn’t be quite enough, so I used the Gemini TQ as a liner. As luck would have it, the snaps on the Gemini line up perfectly with the snaps on my EE Revelation.
    It eventually did get down to right at 0, but I never knew it. In fact, the doubled up system had me TOO hot and I had to push down the Gemini to my waist.
    For just a little added weight, the Gemini easily adds 20 degrees to a good TQ. This design continues to impress me each time I use it in new situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Eastern Ridge
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    Straps/Becketts
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Thanks for the report.

If the quilt slips off to one side, that's usually a symptom of either: A) its stretched on way too tight, or B) it's too short for your hammock. Ideally the clew ends should be right where your suspension starts. Some folks are putting an extra attach point on the sides to tie onto the hammock to make 100% sure it stays put.

I get the best fit on mine when i attach it very lightly.
    I have it attached to a 12' extra wide DIY hammock. To attach the UQ I used a extra pair of whoopie slings.

• + New Posts