Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
    Insulation
    Gemini Clone
    Completed my Gemini a week later than expected, I'll try get out next weekend and get pictures of my Gemini in the wild... In my case Gemini forgot to shave so we'll see how it goes. Plans pending I may end up making my friend's back porch work, not ideal but I think I can make do.

I finished up the seam ripping and snaps this evening. A tip on the ripping. I was able to pull thread from two squares at a time by slicing the thread with the seam ripper, then pulling about an inch of thread out from under the other stitch. I could then grab it with my fingers and pull. I also tried doing three squares at a time, and that was a 50-50 proposition.

Shock cord is due in tomorrow, so I hope to have this wrapped up then. I am making it for my son, should beat the pants off of the sleeping bag I have rigged as an underquilt for him.

Pete

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepinPete View Post
    I finished up the seam ripping and snaps this evening. A tip on the ripping. I was able to pull thread from two squares at a time by slicing the thread with the seam ripper, then pulling about an inch of thread out from under the other stitch. I could then grab it with my fingers and pull. I also tried doing three squares at a time, and that was a 50-50 proposition.
    When I did the ripping on the second quilt, I ended up "cutting" one side with the ripper at the middle and just past the edge of each square, doing the entire side and then going back to pull the threads out. Most of them came out easily with fingers. Went MUCH faster then the first quilt, which took so long I considered throwing in the towel.

Shock cord is due in tomorrow, so I hope to have this wrapped up then. I am making it for my son, should beat the pants off of the sleeping bag I have rigged as an underquilt for him.
    Ah, the things we do for our kids ...

I get them into camping, I have an excuse to go camping

Hammock
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    I get them into camping, I have an excuse to go camping
    Yeah, my son is just starting in Boy Scouts and I think I might be more excited about it than he is. Been waiting a while to get back into "real" camping (which even for the good stuff is way cheaper than hauling the family around in an RV!) Of course, I got some extra Costco quilts so my plan was to have him make his own UQ/TQ set. Feel free to ping me in a month or two and see how that went...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    OV Atlas 5 Bag/Pad

The GEMINI Underquilt: $65 DIY, No-Sew, All-Season, Down, Convertible

Awesome, WBRR version?

Hammock
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    Awesome, WBRR version?
    Loan me yours and I'll tell you how it works! Although that deep maroon and gray would look good with those new black RidgeRunners ...

Finally got my sons finished yesterday morning. The shock cord did not make it to the house in time for last weekends camping trip. We tried it out last night in the back yard, and it seemed to work fine. The clew suspension seems to work much better than the heavy shock cord used on my UGQ, Don't know that I can bring myself to modify a brand new UQ...

Hammock
    Hiker Hunger
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Costco UQ DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I made a couple of simple modifications to mine and thought I'd also share my process for packing the thing up without getting everything all tangled up....

One thing I did was to run 1/16" shock cord through all the "snap-on attachment points for the clew suspension" and put a mini cord lock on each corner. I don't know if my clew length was off or what but when I got the UQ to hang low enough under the hammock that it wasn't being flattened out when I climbed in, it was leaving a gap at each end. Now I can tighten up just the ends of the UQ without having to adjust the height of it.

Another thing I did was to put an elastic hair band (ponytail holder?) on each corner of the UQ using the "snap-on attachment points" again. Then I put a clip on each end of a strand of 1/16" shock cord that can connect to the elastic hair bands. I run this cord up and over my structural ridgeline before hooking it into the other side. This seems to keep the UQ pulled up nicely around my shoulders and feet. I 3D printed some clips at work for this but the small plastic s-biners would be a good fit as well. (The picture is blurry but I think you can still get the general idea):

Finally, the thing I think I was most anxious about with this project was how to keep it from getting all tangled up as I packed and unpacked it. I found a process that has worked really well for me so far and just thought I'd share it as well. Here are the steps I take to pack it up:

1. Undo the 1/16" cord going over the structural ridgeline and run it under the hammock and clip it back into the elastic hair band.

2. Slide my piece of shock cord with a cord lock down the clew (something else I added to the project) so that it is pretty tight against the UQ

3. Take the shock cord that makes up the clew and fold it back and forth in my hand until I get to the cord that is used to attach it to my hammock.

4. Wrap the cord used to attach it to my hammock around the folded up clew strands.

5. Take the UQ and lay it inside the hammock.

6. "Open up" the UQ inside the hammock and fold the the bundled up clew over so that it is laying "inside" the UQ.

7. "Close" the UQ back up with the clew "inside".

8. Repeat steps 1-7 on the other end of the UQ.

9. Stuff it in the sack (while keeping the bundled clews inside the UQ).

Like I said, doing is this way has been tangle-free for me so far and hopefully it might help someone else if they are having troubles with it.

I am such a cold sleeper I am very tempted to try my hand as it look great at stopping drafts.

• + New Posts